Author Topic: My Cat From Hell - Lux Update  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
My Cat From Hell - Lux Update
« on: June 15, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »
The basics...Baby pulls cat's tail.  Cat scratches baby.  Dad kicks cat.  Cat holds family hostage.

As much as it pains me to watch anything on Animal Planet (the horrible pet "food" commercials irritate the heck out of me), I did watch the episode concerning Lux, last night. 

Jackson didn't see the behavior that the owners described.
After a physical and medical tests, Lux was described as being in good health.

Lux was sent to a foster home, to see how he would do in a different (and stress free) environment.  He was good for several days, before he attacked his foster mom.

Back to the vet Lux went, for a MRI and spinal something or other.  All good.

After ruling everything else out, the conclusion:  A form of feline hyperesthesia syndrome, which can cause aggressive behavior. There's no cure, but medication may help control the symptoms.  Usually the cat attacks his/herself and not others.

Lux is permanently living with his foster parents.

As of the airing... Lux is doing well on medication. 
http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2014/06/jackson_galaxy_on_lux_the_port.html
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:13:33 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: My Cat From Hell - Lux Update
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 04:35:15 PM »
What kind of medication?  I don't get that channel but probably wouldn't have watched it anyway.  Thanks for the synopsis.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
What kind of medication?  I don't get that channel but probably wouldn't have watched it anyway.  Thanks for the synopsis.

All I heard them say about it was that it is both antidepressants and anti-seizure meds that are given for that condition. Last night was the first night that I've ever seen Barkly not want to watch that show. He hid under our desk the whole time near hubs' feet. I guess all the growling and yowling scared him.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
Amitriptyline probably.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »

You aren't missing anything.   >:D  I would unload my cable, in a heart beat, if hubby wasn't a fan of ESPN. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
Update:

These amazing foster parents never lost sight of the fact that how he acted didn’t define who he is. That said, they were living in fear, and were unable to administer his meds consistently, let alone work a behavioral plan of action.

It was time to institute some short-term changes, for the sake of all involved. I was lucky enough to have made contacts with an amazing cat hospital during this journey. They said they would take Lux and temporarily house him, make sure he gets his meds, give him attention and work the behavioral action plan I had already assigned to Mollie and Jim.

I know that once his condition stabilizes, we will be able to resume his adoptive life. For now, however, Lux is staying in a unique and open veterinary space, simulating as close to a home environment as one can get. Since receiving this constant veterinary care, things have been progressing really well; he’s now responding to his medication, and his socialization is on target. Yes, I’m being cautious – can you blame me? Every single time I’ve made assumptions when it comes to Lux, I’ve had my lunch handed to me. I am fully committed to living in the present along with this cat. I’m also, as I am with all cats I consider clients, committed to him.

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2014/06/18/jackson-on-lux/?utm_source=jg&utm_medium=fb&utm_term=20140620&utm_campaign=jackson-on-lux
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:13:52 PM by Lola »

Tags: