Author Topic: Consumer Reports "Ain't" on Pet Parents Side  (Read 2414 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Consumer Reports "Ain't" on Pet Parents Side
« on: July 07, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
Rec'd this today, in an email, from Truth About Pet Foods, so passing on the information.  Bumpurr1 bumpgif

Posting this stuff on catsfur, always, earned Bump a bath, mol, and I included the comments, which earned Bump a tsunami, mol.  :D    funny2   multistars bumpgif

Consumer Reports Fails Petsumers
Written By: Susan Thixton7-7-2011

They have done it again.  Consumer Reports has published another advice to pet parents article.  This time the ill-informed folks at Consumer Reports advise pet parents how to save money with the care of their pets by recommending discount and off label pet foods.
In March 2009, Consumer Reports told pet parents that 'PRICEY PET FOOD NOT NECESSARILY BETTER'.  In this earlier article, the trusted magazine misled pet parents with incorrect pet food advise based on consulting veterinarians that work for or receive financial support from Big Pet Food.  Two years later, the magazine is telling pet parents that inexpensive pet foods such as Ol' Roy Dog Food is no different (no better, no worse) than other high priced pet foods. 
Yes...Ol' Roy Dog Food.
The ill-informed Consumer Reports message regarding pet foods is that ALL pet foods are similar in nutritional content.  "A significant part of the national pet food bill these days goes for so-called premium and super-premium varieties.  But "premium" has no legal definition in terms of nutritional quality, notes Sarah Abood, DVM, a small-animal clinical nutritionist and assistant dean at the Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
"Premium or otherwise, any food you see on supermarket and pet store shelves that's labeled "complete & balanced", "total nutrition", or "100 percent nutritious" should meet the minimum standards for nutrition set by the Association of American Feed Control Officials.  That indicates that it's adequate for the vast majority of healthy pets."
Consumer Reports also recommends pet parents purchase their pet food at "the big box stores"; stating that Walmart and Target had the lowest prices.  They also encourage pet parents to consider "private label brands" such as Walmart's Ol' Roy. 
But if Consumer Reports had bothered to do just a little research, they would have learned...
That AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials - those responsible for pet food regulations) does not have an official definition of 'premium' pet food (this was the only statement from the Consumer Affairs advice article that had any truth to it).   But, just because there is no official AAFCO definition to 'premium pet food' doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 
If Consumer Reports had bothered to learn about the pet food industry, they could have learned about FDA Compliance Policies that allow diseased animals or euthanized animals to be processed into pet food.  I wonder if the 'experts' at Consumer Affairs would consider a pet food to provide "total nutrition" or to be "100 percent nutritious" when it contains rendered animals rejected for use in human foods because of disease?
Consumer Reports based their advice to pet parents, on the professional opinion of one veterinarian; Dr. Sarah Abood.  If Consumer Reports had bothered to do a little research, they would have learned that Dr. Sarah Abood is on the payroll of Purina Pet Food.  According to a 2008 paper published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Dr. Abood serves "on an expert advisory council for the NestlĂ© Purina PetCare Company." 
The Consumer Reports website states "Expert Unbiased Product Ratings & Reviews".  I fail to see how a paid advisor from a pet food company would be "unbiased".   
There is no excuse.  There is No excuse anymore for any consumer organization or for that matter any veterinarian (especially a veterinarian professor) to make the statement there are no differences in quality of pet food.  For any that continue to make this absurd claim, I'd like to see them dine on a few meals of 'Ol Roy.  Until they eat their words, they need to stop giving ridiculous advice to pet parents. 

Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,

Susan Thixton
Pet Food Safety Advocate
Author, Buyer Beware
TruthaboutPetFood.com
PetsumerReport.com

What's in Your Pet's Food?
Is your dog or cat eating risk ingredients?  Chinese imports?  Petsumer Report tells the 'rest of the story' on over 2000 cat foods, dog foods, and pet treats.  30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee.  www.PetsumerReport.com

Are you subscribed to Truth About Pet Food Newsletter?  Click Here to subscribe.

Follow Truth about Pet Food on Twitter. 

Become a Fan of Truth and Vindication on Facebook. 

Find Healthy Pet Foods in Your Area Click Here

Comments (7)
Pacific Sun
Said this on 7-7-2011 at 03:06 pm
It's been awhile since I've seen a hard copy of Consumer Reports.  But there used to be a section for letters and comments from people.  And some people who disagree or have another point of view.  Such as writing a letter about the pet foods that contain known carcinogenes (particularly Ol'Roy).  If's it on the FDA list there's not much dispute about it.  And if CR refuses to print the letter we'll all know who's side they're on.  Certainly NOT for the good of the public!
Reply to this Comment
Fran
Said this on 7-7-2011 at 03:07 pm
 I am a former vet tech, and have refused many times to buy food from the vet I worked for at a disc ount price. I would rather pay a higher price for some very good nutritious pet foods. They are my family, I read my labels, why not theres?
   Proof. My dog and cats do not see a vet very often for any illness, as they dont get much at all, ever since I put them on certain highly nutrttious foods. I am paying for quality! Even my cats,  one who was diagnosed with gum disease when she was a kitten, is doing so much better. They all lost wieght when I took away the garbage food and gave them raw. There bloodwork is better, my 11 year old siamese mix who had a thyroid level on the high side of normal improved, his bloodwork was great last year, it actually went down!
    How can anyone say that corn gluten is good for animals, it isnt even good for use, so it is not ok! It worries me that many people read this.
Reply to this Comment
Robin
Said this on 7-7-2011 at 03:10 pm
Here is a link to tell CR what you think about such mis-information.  I just did.
http://custhelp.consumerreports.org/cgi-bin/consumerreports.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php
Reply to this Comment
Mary Delaney
Said this on 7-7-2011 at 03:13 pm
Susan, are you going to write to Consumer Reports? I read that article and was astonished, but didn't feel I had the proper information  to blast them.  It was the WORST report they have ever published!
Reply to this Comment
Susan Thixton
Said this on 7-7-2011 at 03:18 pmin reply to #4
I'm out of town at the moment - but I'll try to post an example letter later today for everyone to copy and send to CR.
Reply to this Comment
Pacific Sun
Said this on 7-7-2011 at 03:22 pmin reply to #5
Thanks Susan.  Great idea.  It's always good when we the Readers can help by responding to these bogus claims!
Reply to this Comment
Mollie Morrissette
Said this on 7-7-2011 at 04:07 pm
Great article.
What absolutely kills me is that Consumer Reports is so well read and respected, that most people who read it, believe it as the word of Gospel. And in this economic crisis, people will only to be too glad to take the advice; as many people today are facing desperate financial struggles: how to economically feed themselves, their families and their pets.
Sadly, many consumers will discover the  unintended consequences of skimping on quality for the sake their budget. The savings made today may have a devastating effect their health and their animal companions for years to come.
I think we can all guess the heartbreaking decision many of these financially strained pet parents will be forced to make, should their pet become seriously ill and require expensive medical treatment - euthanasia. And those who cannot afford veterinary care are forced to make an even more tragic choice: let their pet suffer or surrender them to shelters. Tragically, those very same pets may end up on the shelf, in a bag or a can of pet food sold to more consumers, killing more pets, causing more heartache and despair.
The unintended consequences of consumer behavior extend far beyond the immediate cost benefit, the time saved by choosing convenience over quality, the pleasure of satisfying a craving or desire. For others, consumer choice involves considering the ethical, spiritual and moral dilemma and how those choices will effect themselves, their family, their pets and ultimately, the planet.
Ask yourself, who is benefiting from this epic tragedy? The consumer, the pet parent, the pets themselves? Absolutely not. The only people benefiting from this horrific scenario are the unscrupulous pet food manufacturers. As are many other business sectors such as the fast food chains, the factory farms, the junk food manufacturers, the soda pop manufacturers, and so on.
I am so grateful we have in Susan an advocate who works tirelessly to raise consumer awareness, to raise the consciousness of a society whose decisions are based largely on misinformation and lies from corporations driven by greed and a government that works for them.

Sorry haven't been on much, have a show next weekend in NJ, getting ready for.  :)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Consumer Reports "Ain't" on Pet Parents Side
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:34:46 PM »
Utterly infuriating but par for the course.  I don't want to know the $$$$ the pet food industry is pimping into these "consumer" rackets.
I remember wasting letter after letter on those worthless wonders 4 years ago. They want people to subscribe.  throwfit  Like hell!! 

Posting this stuff on catsfur, always, earned Bump a bath, mol, and I included the comments, which earned Bump a tsunami, mol.  :D    funny2   multistars bumpgif :)

clapping1 clapping1 clapping1 cryingfunny   feedtroll

Sorry haven't been on much, have a show next weekend in NJ, getting ready for.  :)

You go, Bumprr!! Have a safe trip and GREAT show!!! cat1 cat1 cat1 cat1 bumpgif

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
Since, we "know" they are wrong about pet foodies, makes me wonder, what else they are "wrong" about, regarding other products????cat2 :o
  bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:50 PM »
Speaking of Truth About Pet Food...I'm not so sure Susan totally "gets it" either.  IMHO

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=160.msg1260#msg1260
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:45:41 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: