Author Topic: Would you consider artificial meat pet food? All The Nopes!  (Read 921 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Would you consider artificial meat pet food? All The Nopes!
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:35:57 PM »
Nope, Nope, Nope. Just ALL the nopes!

Would you consider artificial meat pet food?

A California company has plans to release pet food products made with artificial meat – “cultured protein”. Would you consider giving your pet an artificial meat pet food or treat?

Wild Earth has plans to release into the pet food market pet treats made with “lab-created proteins”. An article posted on Bloomberg.com states: “Wild Earth hopes to be the first pet food brand based on cellular agriculture. The initial product Wild Earth plans to sell from its direct-to-consumer website is a koji-based dog treat.”

Co-founder Ryan Bethencourt “compares his company’s production of “clean” protein to that of sake—imagine giant fermentation tanks—right down to using the same ingredient to fuel its protein growth. Koji, a fungus, is the Japanese version of baker’s yeast. It grows rapidly inside tanks, along with sugar and nutrients, at the right balmy temperature. The result is a plant-based protein with a close match to eggs or animal-based meat. Because koji is widely consumed by humans, it already has a GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) designation. Wild Earth’s supply chain is simple—it uses only a handful of ingredients—and easily traceable.”

The Wild Earth website states “Wild Earth is challenging the status quo with cultured protein that’s safe and sustainable. We developed a novel way to deliver high protein, comparable to other animal derived protein sources, and in many cases even superior. We are creating the next generation of pet food to perfectly match your pets’ nutritional needs, and that is better for all animals, people, and the planet.“

Finish reading at: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/would-you-consider-artificial-meat-pet-food/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Would you consider artificial meat pet food? All The Nopes!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:26 PM »
Didn't read the link, because the quote was enough to make me cringe.  My (snarky) commentary, for whatever it's worth . . . (please interpret the ? as my way of saying:  WTH [are they thinking]?)

“lab-created proteins”

Excuse me?

cellular agriculture

???

"Koji, a fungus, is the Japanese version of baker’s yeast." 
a FUNGUS?!?!?!

It grows rapidly inside tanks, along with sugar and nutrients
  Sugar?  Sugar?  As if we don't have enough diabetic pets out there?

Because koji is widely consumed by humans, it already has a GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) designation.
  Just because it has a "designation" doesn't mean it's safe.  Wait 20-40 years and let's see how people are doing who eat that stuff.

The result is a plant-based protein with a close match to eggs or animal-based meat.
  Uh huh.  Close, but no cigar.

The Wild Earth website states “Wild Earth is challenging the status quo with cultured protein that’s safe and sustainable.

No, you're challenging Nature.  And it will backfire.  Badly.  Unfortunately, the pets fed this "food" will pay the price, as will their pet parents.

We developed a novel way to deliver high protein, comparable to other animal derived protein sources, and in many cases even superior.

You gotta be kidding me.  Do they actually believe their own b.s.?  (that's rhetorical)

We are creating the next generation of pet food to perfectly match your pets’ nutritional needs, and that is better for all animals, people, and the planet.

No, it's not.  Nature knows what's best for animals (people and the planet), and it's not some Frankenstein fungus grown in tanks that resembles (in their mind anyway) meat.

Nope, Nope, Nope. Just ALL the nopes!

Right there with ya, Dee.  H-LL no!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Would you consider artificial meat pet food? All The Nopes!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:00:33 PM »
Also, things like Beyond Meat cause a lot of people to get really gassy. Let's just pretend I'd actually feed this to V&B. I'm trying to imagine what fake meat would do to the digestion of dogs living in people's houses. Might not be able to live with them after a couple of hours if it does to them what fake meat does to a lot of people.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: