Author Topic: Ghost Boy  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Ghost Boy
« on: January 15, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »

Ghost Boy

In January 1988 Martin Pistorius, aged twelve, fell inexplicably sick. First he lost his voice and stopped eating. Then he slept constantly and shunned human contact. Doctors were mystified. Within eighteen months he was mute and wheelchair-bound. Martin's parents were told an unknown degenerative disease left him with the mind of a baby and less than two years to live.

Martin was moved to care centers for severely disabled children. The stress and heartache shook his parents’ marriage and their family to the core. Their boy was gone. Or so they thought.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Boy-Miraculous-Misdiagnosed-Trapped/dp/1400205832
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Ghost Boy
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:10 PM »
I FINALLY read this book. 

WOW!  I can't imagine being aware of what is going on around me... and no one knowing I'm "in there."  Martin Pistorius is a REMARKABLE person... to say the least.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:11:54 AM »
Thanks for the recommend I am desperate for new reading material these days! I have ordered it from my library.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 07:39:31 AM »
I am reading this book.  I ordered it from the library.  There were five copies available from various places when I placed my hold.  Annoyingly they sent me the large print addition.  I HATE large print editions, they hurt my eyes, number one, and number two, the LP books inevitably reek of cigarettes.  Who ever reads LP must be a heavy smoker.  I was involved in the story immediately but I am not sure I will be able to continue because of the stink.

Maybe I can leave it outside for a few days.

Usually when I end up with a LP I don't even bother trying I just send it right back. But I am already involved!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 02:30:39 PM »
Your library ships books?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
It's a Four County Library System.  I have all the libraries in four counties to search in (on line) when looking for a book.  The books are sent to the library of my choice, I get an e mail when they arrive, I go pick them up. My library is directly in my path as I do my daily bank and post office rounds (on foot) for work so I just stop and pick them up then, and drop them off when done, same way.  Wildly convenient haha!.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »
We have a rather large library here, but they don't always have the books I want to read. The librarian will look up the "regional" list that you can't access to see if any library in the region has it, and then it's sent to your local library for you to pick up.

Yours sounds like the same thing we've got.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 08:00:59 PM »
We have a rather large library here, but they don't always have the books I want to read. The librarian will look up the "regional" list that you can't access to see if any library in the region has it, and then it's sent to your local library for you to pick up.

Yours sounds like the same thing we've got.

Well not the same because I can access all of it on the internet myself. I type in a title, or author or subject...and every book available in the four counties is listed. 46 libraries plus the Book Mobile.

Getting back to Ghost Boy.  In spite of the large print and cigarette smell I cannot put it down.  You see, this is what I did for almost 20 years.  I worked with children, into their young adulthood, who could not communicate in "normal" ways.  It is fascinating to me to read first hand viewpoint from someone who lives this way. It confirms everything I ever knew about the children (who grew into young adults) I worked with.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 09:33:31 PM »
I'm not going to comment, until you finish the book.  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:27:16 PM »
Are you finished?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 04:49:30 AM »
I finished it Wednesday night.  I found the last part kind of boring though.  I was more interested in when he was learning to communicate, since that was my field for so long. I liked the pictures though!  He's a good looking guy and his wife looks (and sounds!) lovely too.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »
I was just floored by everything he endured.  I can't imagine not going insane.  His faith, attitude, etc... mind blowing! 

Tags: