Author Topic: Massive Phishing Attack Targets Millions of Gmail Users  (Read 2053 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Massive Phishing Attack Targets Millions of Gmail Users
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:51:47 PM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/massive-phishing-attack-targets-millions-gmail-users-n754501

An unusually sophisticated identity phishing campaign appeared to target Google's roughly 1 billion Gmail users worldwide, seeking to gain control of their entire email histories and spread itself to all of their contacts, Google confirmed Wednesday.

The worm — which arrived in users' inboxes posing as an email from a trusted contact — asked users to check out an attached "Google Docs," or GDocs, file. Clicking on the link took them to a real Google security page, where users were asked to give permission for the fake app, posing as GDocs, to manage users' email account.

To make matters worse, the worm also sent itself out to all of the affected users' contacts — Gmail or otherwise — reproducing itself hundreds of times any time a single user fell for it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Massive Phishing Attack Targets Millions of Gmail Users
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:47:09 AM »
The question is, why would anyone fall for it?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
The question is, why would anyone fall for it?

Comes from a friend or coworker;

you're at work and rushed;

didn't pay attention that it was BCC and originally sent to someone you don't know-- because it doesn't show that right in your face unless you hit "Reply or Forward";

then you actually think it's work related and confidential
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:40:29 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 11:38:03 AM »
I just got one yesterday, but it was sent to my Yahoo email.  What caught my attention was the sender's email address -- it looked nothing like a legit email address.  Plus it was from someone that I don't really know.  The name was familiar, but I couldn't place her (which, granted, isn't unusual these days for me).  So I Googled her.  When I found out who she was, I was sure it was a bogus email, since she wouldn't have had mine and certainly wouldn't send me anything.  Plus, the search showed her correct email.  Not even close.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 06:03:43 PM »
I realize all the reports state it is an email scam, but...I got a weird text today with a Google doc. I deleted it.  Kinda wish I had looked at it a bit closer.  I am curious about it now. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »
I realize all the reports state it is an email scam, but...I got a weird text today with a Google doc. I deleted it.  Kinda wish I had looked at it a bit closer.  I am curious about it now. 

It's probably attaching itself to everything involved with everyone's email--including their text-lists that are attached to their gmail, yahoo, and every other kind of phone app that goes along with phones.

Some people use gmail, some yahoo, some hotmail, some comcast, etc. in their phones. That's why I have a "trash-email" addy for my phone, and I don't answer any "friends or family" from my phone email. I don't have twitter, facebook. . .anything like it on my phone.

My texting isn't attached to email whatsoever.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »
I was kinda assuming someone I know (that has been hacked) has my number in their Google Contacts list. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: