Author Topic: Mazy cat's dental  (Read 12980 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Mazy cat's dental
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
We're home!  Of course she's staggering all over the place. Including up and down the stairs. Partly I'm sure because she still has the affects of the anesthesia, plus the pain med, but also she seems to feel the need to mark everything with her scent, rubbing her face and body on EVERYTHING!  funny2

I've given her a very tiny amount to eat, canned food well watered with SEB added, she's had about 1/4 teaspoon, and I wil continue to offer her those tiny amounts for the next few hours, and then a regular meal later, once I am sure she isn't going to puke.

She finally stopped staggering for a moment and I caught this shot after she flopped down.  But within a minute she was back up and stumbling down the stairs.  I followed her down but she just wanted to rub her face and body on everything and I was about to pee my pants so I ran back up.  By the time I got out of the bathroom she was back upstairs and on the Princess's bed (that was Ootay Princess's spot, now she and Queen Eva share it but it is still called the Princess's bed)

I'd better go spoon feed her another 1/4 teaspoon.....

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 03:44:43 PM »
She does look just a tad bit stoned on that princess bed.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 04:13:58 PM »
Aw, poor kitty!  I'm glad she's back home, and I'm sure she'll be back to her usual sweet self before you know it.   HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
Thanks you guys.  Mazy cat is feeling much better.  She's not staggering as much when she moves around, and is settling down a bit.  She's had about a half ounce of food in the last hour and 15 minutes.

My only worry now is the pain meds.  It's a 24 hour drug, so once a day.  She had it at 11 a.m, right after her dental.  I told the tech I had to leave for work at 7:30 and wouldn't be home for lunch until 1:30, so was it better to give to her early, or late.  She said to give it to her early.  But of course I worry about her having it when I can't watch her.  I'm just going to have to trust, I guess. Ugh.

(edit) Scratching on her scratching post! bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
It's not good to give pain meds late. They have stopped working, and it's harder to get them out of pain then.  2cents
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 05:12:53 PM »
Thanks Dee, yeah I did know that, that's why I asked the tech, and of course the tech confirmed it.  Still it's very nerve-wracking to give a cat a strong opiate and then walk out the door for 6 1/2 hours. Ugh!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 05:18:37 PM »
Honestly, if it's not time-released, in the past I've split 1-a-day doses of pain meds into 2-a-day. Seems to keep them out of pain and keeps the medicine in their bloodstream stable but bypasses a lot of that "stoned for the first half of the day" effect.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
That's good advice, but unfortunately it is in pre-measured syringes, and it's only a .1 ml dose.  There really isn't any way to split it in half.

Another report, Mazy had five tiny spoon fed meals and enjoyed them.  However when I got up to feed the other two their supper, she went up to her usual Meal Spot (she eats on the kitchen table) and said she was ready to eat on her own.  I didn't give her very much, first just about .1 (one tenth) ounce and then .25 ounce.  She ate both meals, but did fall off the table in between servings, poor thing.

Queen Eva, ever ready with a puffed tail...when Mazy fell off the table: (darn it, she would have to stand right in front of my stepper, so you can't really see how puffed the tail really is! Phooey!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »
I'm glad she's feeling better and eating!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1  Atta girl, Mazy!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
I also forgot to mention that she went downstairs and had a nice poop early on, don't know how she snuck that in without me noticing, LOL!  This was when she was still very staggery. I looked up to see her gone from the last place she had flopped and kind of panicked.  I rushed down the stairs to find her sitting down there looking quite pleased with herself, some how she'd gotten back down the stairs, up on the littler platform, over the side of the high sided box, and held steady long enough to take a nice hair filled poop.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 07:36:53 PM »
MC,
I'm am SO glad Mazy is doing SO well... except for falling off the table.  Poor baby.  Anyway... I can also understand your hesitation giving a pain killer and then walking out the door.  HOWEVER :) she has had that same med before and ... she has already had a dose. 

Take it from an expert (HA HA HA)... she WILL be fine!!!   :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »
Yay!!!  ...glad Mazy's dental went well :)   HeadButt
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 08:29:38 PM »
I'm so glad she's doing so well, and the fact that she used the litterbox that fast is awesome news!!!

Poor thing falling off the table though.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »
Just checking in.  How's Mazy doing today?   HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth