Author Topic: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list  (Read 94498 times)

Offline joy

• Yapper
Re: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2015, 01:18:46 AM »
More Wellness Carageenan Free Canned Cat Foods:

Wellness Divine Duo's---these have been reformulated and there are 3 flavors with zero fish.
Wellness Trufood---Also Carageenan free--3 flavors also fish free

I tried the Wellness Signature Selects Chicken & Turkey--it is a beautiful food. I say that
because our cats will not eat anything but pate--HOWEVER, the shredded portion
was so tender that it split apart with only the slightest touch of a fork. It is half
pate and half shredded. Also, the meat is white--white chicken!

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2016, 12:03:09 PM »
Whole Earth has an entire line of Carageenan free food of various textures, including pate. rainbow3

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »
Thanks Joy.  I'll add them to the list.  As noted previously people should always read labels because carrageenan free doesn't mean the food doesn't contain other equally undesirable gums.

Also I feel it is important for people to know that Whole Earth Farms is owned by Merrick, and Merrick is owned by Purina-Nestle.  So while these foods look good now, keep watch on the labels and quality because they are likely to change in the next year or so..

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »
Thank you MC. There is always the possibility that Merrick--because their business was private and they ran it for several generations--that they stipulated certain standards in their contract with Nestle.  This would not be unusual for a business that still carries their name. So let's hope that is the case. Yes, I realize Whole Earth was/is a Merrick product but our Cats are super big on variety.

The New Merrick Limited Ingredient Chicken and Turkey are truly excellent products. Having said that, you are right about Agar-Agar. I learned it is in Halo's Impulse and popular Vigor brands but is not in the Stews. I looked into Agar Agar and it contains pink seaweed although it is not all pink seaweed. I found that very annoying but one must press on, especially because clinically, all signs are very good and so much improved. Wish our baby Ragdoll would eat more wet food though as do our Adults. He is 14 months and likes to be fed wet food from the tin with a fork---yes, you heard right, with a fork! It takes 20 minutes and he eats it all up. It gives Rick and I sore feet standing there feeding him with a fork! Hope that brought on a chuckle or two! funny2
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 05:38:04 PM by joy »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2016, 10:49:26 PM »
Also, isn't Merrick the company that owns the rendering plant pretty much next door? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2016, 05:20:10 AM »
Thank you MC. There is always the possibility that Merrick--because their business was private and they ran it for several generations--that they stipulated certain standards in their contract with Nestle.  This would not be unusual for a business that still carries their name. So let's hope that is the case. Yes, I realize Whole Earth was/is a Merrick product but our Cats are super big on variety.

Sure, they all do that.  But not for more than a year or two.  By the third year the quality drops.

Like you say, the more variety the better. :)
The New Merrick Limited Ingredient Chicken and Turkey are truly excellent products. Having said that, you are right about Agar-Agar. I learned it is in Halo's Impulse and popular Vigor brands but is not in the Stews. I looked into Agar Agar and it contains pink seaweed although it is not all pink seaweed. I found that very annoying but one must press on, especially because clinically, all signs are very good and so much improved. Wish our baby Ragdoll would eat more wet food though as do our Adults. He is 14 months and likes to be fed wet food from the tin with a fork---yes, you heard right, with a fork! It takes 20 minutes and he eats it all up. It gives Rick and I sore feet standing there feeding him with a fork! Hope that brought on a chuckle or two! funny2

If he likes being fork fed, I'm glad you will feed him like that. HeadButt

I hand feed or "spatula" feed cats sometimes, usually if they aren't feeling well or seem to need extra special attention.

If you stop feeding kibble, he will no longer be able to eat it. :) Just get it out of the house.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2016, 06:05:42 PM »
Also, isn't Merrick the company that owns the rendering plant pretty much next door? 
You are correct Lola.

"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2016, 06:42:40 AM »

If you stop feeding kibble, he will no longer be able to eat it. :) Just get it out of the house.

I always knew kibble was highly addictive.  Bit I really got it when my Roxy went INSANE when I brought an unopened box of canned food (an order from PetFoodDirect) into the house.  They included a free sample bag of kibble with my order.  *sigh*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2016, 06:45:11 AM »
You are correct Lola.

Most have "access" to rendering plants, but having one right next door.... just a little toooo convenient.  BUT we all have to pick our battles....

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2016, 01:21:48 PM »
but do all the pet food companies own rendering plants?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2016, 01:28:19 PM »
Hi there---Not all businesses are out to only make a profit, unless they have shareholders. I've been a businesswoman
since 1986 when we were McDonald's Franchisees.   I saw the plant where they made the hamburger patties and it was not a tour. We just popped in. I was totally impressed.

Ladies...it is my view in life to always look at the glass half full---cynicism doesn't work for me since I am a teacher of Problem-Solving to business people and employees.  Just had to get that off my chest.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »
but do all the pet food companies own rendering plants?

No, I don't believe all pet food companies own their own rendering plant.  There are rendering plants that supply "products" to several companies. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »
Hi there---Not all businesses are out to only make a profit, unless they have shareholders. I've been a businesswoman
since 1986 when we were McDonald's Franchisees.   I saw the plant where they made the hamburger patties and it was not a tour. We just popped in. I was totally impressed.

Ladies...it is my view in life to always look at the glass half full---cynicism doesn't work for me since I am a teacher of Problem-Solving to business people and employees.  Just had to get that off my chest.

I don't think there is anything wrong with learning the facts concerning the pet food industry.  Education is power.  IMHO 

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2016, 05:19:07 PM »
I agree Lola. However, I feel a balanced approach is more helpful if I may say so. By the way, there is a UK wet food that sells on
Amazon.com called "Thrive"---it is not a pate. It sells for 6 for $19.99 US and the shipping is reasonable. Perhaps MC could add Thrive to the list. I've checked it out and it is a great food.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »
I agree Lola. However, I feel a balanced approach is more helpful if I may say so.

All members can always say, believe, share, etc ANYTHING!  There are very few rules here.  :)