Author Topic: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list  (Read 94538 times)

Offline joy

• Yapper
Re: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »
Thanks for the tip on First Mate---am definitely going to search out that one!!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2015, 05:10:08 PM »
Since Nature's Variety changed their vitamins and minerals to extend the shelf life to 3 years instead of 2 (info I received directly from Nature's Variety via email) our boys won't eat it anymore, it was their favorite until then.

I found another brand of food to try, it is First Mate http://www.firstmate.com/ . The boys Love It so far.

Thanks for the info!  I'll add it to the first post. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline deuce

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2015, 06:01:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip on First Mate---am definitely going to search out that one!!!

Is Made in Canada  :)

Offline deuce

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2015, 06:03:30 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I'll add it to the first post.

You are very welcome! I am happy to be able to share some information since I have received So much information here!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 06:13:14 PM by deuce »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2015, 01:10:11 AM »
The First Mate seems to have a lot of salt in it...my cats will drink water when eating this wet food, which is rare for them since they get all wet food. Also their poops became lighter in color and softer..which means there is not as much protein in this as it seems, maybe too much potato?  The web site does state that it is only 3% potato..weird!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »
MM--re First Mate...that's interesting.  I haven't tried it and I don't intend to.  I am bringing in some Fromm wet food--it is very expensive up here but I figure that a company that's been in business for all those years--one that has maintained a very good reputation--has to have something going for it. 

Also, for those who have not tried the Halo Impulse line, the veggies are really mixed in well, unlike with the Halo Stew. We went through like-it--don't like it--stages and we're back on the 'like it' by all 3 of our Kits.

Also, quite impressed with the "GO" line----especially the Fit & Free Chicken/Turkey/Duck combo, the Daily Defence Turkey as well.  Petcureans' last recall was 2003---pretty good if you ask me.

Cheers and thanks for the head's up on First Mate.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »
Hey Joy...I am in Canada too (West Coast). So yes I know how expensive the canned food is here :(  We also do not have as much variety as the USA :(

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2015, 06:50:18 PM »
Hey Shadow---I have found some Canadian websites that contain more variety of Carageenan-free foods which you can purchase by singles. There is Champlaine Pets in Vancouver as well as Tim's Pets in Vancouver---two different sites with different products owned by the same people. There is also Homealive.ca and Naturalpet.ca, both Canadian sites which do not sell only by the case.

Also, Petonly.ca and Ren's depot are Canadian sites which do sell by the case of 24 or 12 for items like Fromm.  Using these Canadian sites and Amazon.ca for Nature's Logic, I have been able to have 16 different variety of foods----now ALL carageenen free, since we dropped Innova and Merrick has a new line which is carrageenan-free. Only 2 of the foods we have contain fish but not as a first ingredient---in one the fish is ingredient #7 and in the other the fish is ingredient #5. All the rest are poultry products.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:52:11 PM by joy, Reason: spelling »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2015, 12:09:27 AM »
Thanks for those links Joy...although I don't see anything that I cannot get here except for Wysong.  Just wish there were cheaper wet foods, its hard feeding two cats an all wet diet :( 
I do feed my one cat some raw, and I am pretty picky when it comes to commercial canned pet food. I only feed fish flavor once a week.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2015, 02:17:34 AM »
Shadow...I hear you! I've learned that if the fish is deboned and if it's wild salmon as opposed to words like 'ocean fish', then there is much less risk as long as there is no menadione (unsure of sp on that one). In any case, it sounds as if you are extremely conscientious and knowledgeable. You must have a very happy twosome there! thumbsup1

The expense I understand as well--we have 3--are we crazy or what! :)

Offline deuce

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
The First Mate seems to have a lot of salt in it...my cats will drink water when eating this wet food, which is rare for them since they get all wet food. Also their poops became lighter in color and softer..which means there is not as much protein in this as it seems, maybe too much potato?  The web site does state that it is only 3% potato..weird!

I have not noticed the boys drinking any more water with this food, but after reading this post decided to email FirstMate and ask them. They were very fast to reply and very helpful. I also asked them about the protein. I only asked about the 2 types I am currently using, but I am sure if anyone has any further questions they would be happy to answer them. I will continue to feed the boys the FirstMate brand.
Here is a copy of the email I received:

Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in FirstMate products.

It is important to first note that our company does not manufacture medically specific diets.  Although our products have been successfully used to treat a range of nutritional health concerns, it is important to consult with your veterinarian before making any nutritional changes in respect to health conditions.

We have included the nutrient information that you requested for our Wild Salmon and Free Run Turkey canned cat formulas below.  The dry matter value eliminates the moisture content of the food to allow for easier comparison between different formulas with different moisture contents.

Wild Salmon Formula
Sodium 0.9%
Protein 62%

Free Run Turkey Formula
Sodium 0.9%
Protein 53%

Please keep in mind that because we do not manufacture medically specific formulas there will be some natural variation in the nutrient content of our formulas.  Although this variation is minimal, it is likely more than seen in medically formulated diets for pets.

These are some additional features of FirstMate canned cat formulas that may be of interest to you.

•                  Free Run B.C. Chicken
•                  Free Run B.C. Turkey
•                  Wild Pacific Salmon From Sustainable Sources
•                  Wild Pacific Tuna From Sustainable Sources
•                  Ethoxyquin Free Meats
•                  No Thickeners, Such as Carrageenan or Guar Gum
•                  Pâté Style
•                  BPA Free Cans

We hope that this information helps you to find a suitable diet for your cat.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have any additional questions.

Kind Regards,

Jessica Donegan, B.Sc.
Technical Associate
jessicad@firstmate.com
Tel: (604) 250-9736  | www.firstmate.com
Celebrating Over 25 Years of Quality Pet Food Manufacturing
Find us on Twitter: @firstmatepet

I also found some info from another website with very helpful numbers regarding sodium, protein, etc. on a LOT of canned food. Very good info. Im not sure if its ok if I post the link to another website here or not, but if not ok, let me know and I will remove it. Here it is: http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:43:23 PM by deuce »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »
Thanks for the info, deuce!  The more info the better.  People can read and learn and then make decisions that work for them and their furkids. 
Yes, it is MORE than okay to post links.  Especially that one!   :) 

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2015, 11:27:18 PM »
Inquiry I made to Fromm

Today I phoned Fromm headquarters in Wisconsin to ask specifically about the "Salmon" and "Ocean Fish" in their products.
They verified that the salmon is "Wild Salmon" which is a good thing as I'm sure most of you know. I asked them if the Ocean fish was tile fish and they said 'NO', that they never use bottom-feeding fish in any of their canned food--but rather it is fish such as haddock or halibut and that it is a secondary product---they consider the first 3 ingredients to be the majority and they debone any fish they use and always have done so. I received two types of Fromm today----Chicken/Turkey/Duck and Chicken & Salmon---I will feed these as a treat once a week.

.As a matter of interest I have also order the new PRIDE Cheshire Chicken by Nature's Variety from Only Natural Pet. I'm very happy to say that this household is now carrageenan-free---one big hurdle. Since our Threesome love variety in their canned foods (and they don't like pouch or raw food at all or anything that is not a pate or minced), it has not been easy collecting 16 different foods---12 of which they really like and 4 that they tolerate. However, it's a labour of love for
3 wonderful Felines who always scratch on their scratching posts and who are so kind and generous with their affection.
Since no cat food is perfect, we have chosen to have a large variety of poultry-based foods because that is what our Babies like best. They will eat lamb, duck and rabbit occasionally--no tummy troubles, no stool problems---all fingers and toes are crossed.

catrescuer1

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 01:54:40 PM »
I'm going through this list looking for new cat foods. I'm only about halfway done, but I wanted to let you know that all of the Newman's own I looked at on their website had carrageenan, and Great Life Essentials says they don't make canned food anymore.  HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2015, 02:33:55 PM »
I'm going through this list looking for new cat foods. I'm only about halfway done, but I wanted to let you know that all of the Newman's own I looked at on their website had carrageenan, and Great Life Essentials says they don't make canned food anymore.  HeadButt

Thank YOU!  I updated the list.  It sure is getting shorter and shorter.  :(