Author Topic: Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw  (Read 12880 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 01:54:07 PM »
Earlier, in this thread, Pookie mentioned feeding S&C patties.  The S&C that I feed is nuggets.  Are we talking about the same thing... just using different terms?  Although Pookie did say the patty was smaller than the palm of a hand.  ??

The feeding guidelines were also mentioned... do they recommend much larger amounts, than is actually required? 

Kibble feeding guidelines are like that.  They recommend huge amounts, because a dog has to eat huge amounts to reach the daily nutritional requirements.  I fed the dogs (different brand) the recommended 6 cups (or whatever it was.. don't remember now...no longer feed kibble to them either) and the dogs were both over weight, when fed the recommended amount. 

Anyway... my point is... the S&C feeding guidelines, for a 10 pound cat, is 1 1/2 cups.  For a while, I fed Lucky only S&C.  She ate about 3/4 of a 3 oz package 3 x a day.  I don't think that adds up even close to 1 1/2 cups. 

edit: Reading the feeding guidelines, on the actual package of S&C... 2 pouches daily for the average 6 to 8 pound cat.  She ate almost 3. 

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:26:27 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »
I think the dog formula comes in patties.

Now, are you talking about the small single serving sizes? Those packages are .8 ounce (8 tenths of an ounce.)

The .8 oz single size envelope is, so they tell us, equivalent in nutrition value, to a 3 oz can of food (plus hydration of course).   Okay, so I figured all my numbers out and determined that .2 oz (that is point two or two tenths) of an ounce of S&C dry is equivalent to one fourth of a three ounce can, or .75 ounces once hydrated.

Since I use weights, I have to rethink things to figure out what you are feeding......okay here we go

You say lucky is eating 3/4 of an .8 ounce package, three times a day?  That would be, in canned equivalent, 2.25 ounces of food per meal. That means she is eating in total 6.75 ounces a day, in canned equivalent.  So yes, she was getting enough food, even taking into consideration that your averages, since you are going by visuals, may be off a bit.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 12:37:11 AM »
Meant to reply sooner… anyway... your reply took away one worry.  Thanks.  You probably guessed that I was questioning if I had been starving Lucky.   

Reading my original post.. I don't even understand what I wrote.  Amazing you did, MC! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
The first time I fed Stella & Chewys, it did not go over well.  The second time ...required a bit of coaxing, for some.  Now... They ALL absolutely love it.  They go crazy for it!!

A food I actually feel good about feeding... for once. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 05:31:54 AM »
I like S&C too.  Jennie will eat it all the time.  Mazy likes it, but can't keep it down so she doesn't get it.   Queen Eva likes it as long as I don't give it to her too often.  Even then she sometimes needs some coaxing.

So Jennie and Queen Eva get it two meals a week, on average.

I have, so far only been feeding the Duck/goose and the chicken.  Next time I order I may try the turkey.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 12:56:34 AM »
I know Mazy's system is out of whack, but why do you think she can't keep it down?
I've only fed the chicken and turkey. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
Maybe the bone, Lola. It's difficult to pinpoint specifics with her.  She just cannot tolerate much variety.  However I have recently finally come to the conclusion that if it's not "certified organic", she will puke it up.

By Nature Organic Turkey&Chicken (Only that formula), Rad Cat Chicken, Rad Cat Turkey, and organic raw egg yolk. Those are the only foods she can eat without bringing it right back up.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 10:08:56 AM »
Anyway I forgot to mention that I don't really want her to have bone anyway, because of her propensity for struvite and alkaline urine.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
I forgot about the bone possibility. 

Tags: