Author Topic: Pet-safe Carpet  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Pet-safe Carpet
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:54:42 PM »
(Note to Lola:  I wasn't really sure where to put this, so please feel free to move it to someplace more appropriate, if you like).

After 17 years, including many years of cat vomit/regurgitating, I'm seriously looking into replacing my carpet.  I'd prefer laminate, but it doesn't soundproof as well as carpet, and since I share walls with people who walk like they're wearing 20 lb weights on their feet, I want the soundproofing.  I'd prefer natural fibers so the chemicals are kept to a minimum.  I don't want to breathe chemicals and Pookie shouldn't have to, either, esp. since he's closer to the floor than I am.   funny2  However, the store I went to told me that the natural stuff won't be stain resistant, and anything added to make it resistant will be chemicals.  Plus, the treatment would disappear after 1-2 carpet cleanings.  The carpet that's truly stain-resistant has the treatment in the actual fibers before the carpet is made, and the store owner told me that they have to meet very high air quality standards.

I'm not sure what to do.  Pookie will have the occasional food issue, so stains are likely, but I'd prefer to keep the chemicals out of my home as much as possible.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Are their natural fibers that are more stain-resistant than others?

Thanks!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Pet-safe Carpet
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
I would reallllly consider just about anything over carpet.  Noise can be reduced with throw rugs, drapes, etc.  You may also get "desensitized" to the noise after a while.  :)

We live in a single family home, so we don't have the issues that you do.  But...when we first had our entire home re-done in all tile  wow1 the increased noise level was a bit surprising.  Almost 10 years later, we don't think anything about it anymore.  

Due to severe allergies, we don't have any throw rugs and only one window has material type of covering.  Basically, nothing to "soak" up the sounds.  

With all the above, we still would never go back to carpeting.  

Potty training the dogs (when they were younger)...no biggie.  Any mistakes were easily cleaned up.  Occasional feline horking ...again, easy clean up.  The house is less dusty, with no carpet or padding fibers and such to deal with.  

Our furkid ages range from 4 to 11 years old.  As they age, there will likely be "accidents."  I KNOW nothing stinky or germ-y will be "lurking" on my floors.  

Okay, so I didn't answer your question but... Bumpurr1
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:12:08 PM by Lola, Reason: clarification »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:08:53 PM »
Pookie I am in the same place you are.  After 14+ years of cats vomiting on the carpet in this apartment no matter how often I shampoo it (monthly now) it still stinks. I so want to just tear it all up and put down linoleum.  For me, it's not just a noise issue, it's warmth in winter too.  But, my gosh it would be so much nicer to just wipe up cat puke instead of having to get out the carpet shampooer.

I have no answers either, as I haven't even gotten as far as you have in research.  I know someone who has 'cork' floors but I have no idea what that means.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:05:47 PM »
Having torn up almost every bit of carpet (except 2 rooms and the stairs) and living with subfloors for the last 3 years because we couldn't find a laminate we liked (in our price range, anyway)... I have to say I would live with subfloors for another 10 years if I had to. sillytongue

Once upon a time, when I was younger, stronger and more energetic, I supported myself by cleaning houses.  I used to think I hated hard floors and much preferred vacuuming carpets over moping.  But now I am older and more attuned to the benefits of hard floors... yes indeed.... Although, I still have a thing against tile and grout.  moon2

Laminates, cork and bamboo are all lovely hard floor options.  Each have their strengths and weaknesses, so it becomes a question of where you are planning on using the materials.  I personally would not trust cork in the kitchen, but others have told me they love it.  One of my friends actually has a cork + bamboo floor which she swears by (the cork was used as the underlayment). As for me, I'm leaning toward laminates, when our finances allow I'll be goin' shoppin'.  dancingbanana bananamiddlechild dancingbanana
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:07:42 AM »
Hi Pookie we are in the same boat.  We may be moving to a new place that has all laminate floors, no carpet.  Would like to get a big throw carpet for the living room, but am afraid of the chemicals.  I did notice that the Laminate that is in this new place has a cushioning underneath it, so it helps with noise level, and it wasnt very expensive, they got it at Costco.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:00:53 AM »
Believe me, I would rather not have the carpet -- it would be easier to clean and help with my allergies, but I'm not kidding about the noise.  I have a family of 6 (4 kids) on one side and there are times they sound like they're over my head or about to come through the wall.  :o At least 1 child is special needs (I suspect 2 of the others are as well) and my other neighbor also has someone w/special needs who's not a quiet walker, either.  It's not always possible to tune them out.  I even had someone come and check my insulation to see if I could have some foam insulation added to quiet things, but there's too much regular insulation to add anything more.   :'(

MC also mentioned the warmth issue, and that's a factor, too.  My living room is over my garage, and I doubt that was insulated since my basement wasn't (my sister and I did that later).  Area rugs would help, but for me it's mostly the noise.  *sigh*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: