Author Topic: Healthy Pets by Dr. Karen Becker  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Healthy Pets by Dr. Karen Becker
« on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:45:28 PM by Lola, Reason: Fixed link »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Healthy Pets by Dr. Karen Becker
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »
A good article on Cancer and Pets:  Two Things to Avoid:http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/08/01/pet-nutrition-in-cancer-prevention.aspx

Thank you for a great article! You already know I'm extremely interested in anything that deals with cancer prevention.

Part of the nutritional info I'm trying is that I started is giving coconut oil with meals because of this article http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/ --Vlad had puppy acne on his belly & I decided that would be the best kind for him from other accounts of skin problems.

We've decided to keep it part of their diet because we later found articles like this one that says that it also prevents cancer in animals: http://www.naturepacific.com/contents/en-us/d168.html (I'm not promoting that brand or any other brand. It's not the kind I use.)

As with any supplement, I'm not sure if the info is true, but I'm willing to try anything that might prevent cancer as long as it doesn't hurt them. Continued nice skin and coat is just a great side benefit. Also it says something about giving them the coconut meat. Would it actually be safe to give dogs coconut meat? Has anyone else done that??? I really haven't been able to find any information on how to do that so I've not tried.

I can't give the oil to Barkly though. If I even get it up to 1/2 tsp per meal, he quits eating hardly anything at all. He's already at the low side for a Corgi at 26#. Any ideas about what causes this effect & how I could get him to take it without this issue? I've found nowhere that suggests that anorexia is a problem with taking coconut oil. Since it's supposed to help prevent cancer, I'd like him on it too.

Does anyone else know of other natural supplements like this that are supposed to help prevent cancer?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »
Hi DeeDee  :)

From what I've read of your posts so far  thumbsup1 :-* ,  your critters' odds of getting C are low.  Believe the garbage in the "mianstream" pet garbage & over-vaccinations are *the* main causes.

Don't believe it's a coincidence that 3 dogs in 3 different house holds (one ours) developed the growths, detected too late to do anything.   They ate Purina & other "vet endorsed" foods FWIW.   
I know this doesn't help  :-[ or add good dialogue  -- it's JMHO.      :-*

Have read accounts of Apple Cider Vinegar (a little in their water) being beneficial as well.   

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
Hi DeeDee  :)

From what I've read of your posts so far  thumbsup1 :-* ,  your critters' odds of getting C are low.  Believe the garbage in the "mianstream" pet garbage & over-vaccinations are *the* main causes.

Have read accounts of Apple Cider Vinegar (a little in their water) being beneficial as well.   

Well we just lost 2 dogs in the past year due to C--one with a brain tumor died within 3 weeks of seizures starting & the other 11 mths later due to mast cells in his lymph nodes (he was also allergic to corn, wheat & rice). By the time problems were found, it was too late.

That's why I've become so interested in it all. I don't want to deal with anything like that with these new puppies. I want to keep them around for as long as I can--like my daddy used to mostly feeding table scraps. My mom said their dogs were always healthy too without any kind of shots or fancy foods when eating what the family did & what vermin they caught out on the farm. I'm talking dogs that were 15+ years old. Kids would have 1 dog of their own back then because the dogs lived through their childhoods & past when they moved out.

So I have to agree with everyone else that it's the foods and shots that have changed things. I'll try the vinegar too since I use the Braggs kind for indigestion. Can't hurt them b/c it's only done me a lot of good. Thank you!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: