Author Topic: Casey Anthony Not Guilty in Slaying of Daughter  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Casey Anthony Not Guilty in Slaying of Daughter
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:19:35 PM »
Snip...
ORLANDO — Casey Anthony, the young mother whose seeming heartlessness at the disappearance of her daughter transfixed America for three years, was found not guilty on Tuesday of killing the girl, Caylee Marie.

After nearly six weeks of testimony, a panel of seven women and five men decided that Ms. Anthony did not murder Caylee by dosing her with chloroform, suffocating her with duct tape and dumping her in a wooded area, as prosecutors claimed. They also did, however, find her guilty of lesser charges, of providing false information to law enforcement officers. The jury did not ask to review any evidence.

When the verdict was read, Ms Anthony, 25, who faced a possible death sentence, cried.

The verdict vindicates the defense, which argued from the start that Caylee drowned accidentally in the family swimming pool and that the death was concealed by her panicked grandfather, George Anthony, and Ms. Anthony.

It also drove home just how circumstantial the prosecution’s case proved to be. Forensic evidence was tenuous and no witnesses ever tied Ms. Anthony to Caylee’s murder. Investigators found no trace of DNA or solid signs of chloroform or decomposition inside the trunk of Ms. Anthony’s car, where prosecutors said Ms. Anthony stashed Caylee before disposing of her body.

The prosecution was also hurt by the fact that nobody knows exactly how Caylee died; her body was too badly decomposed to pinpoint cause of death.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/06/us/06casey.html
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Casey Anthony Not Guilty in Slaying of Daughter
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
My opinion... these jurors all have their heads in the sand!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
This is JUST my  2cents .  All her lying was enough for me (as an armchair juror) to hang her butt.  BUT the jury didn't hear and see all the carp that the public did. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
I followed this case closely.

I really think the jurors got it wrong.  It is as if they didn't understand the idea of circumstantial evidence...  Short of DNA or a video, this jury would not convict.

If you wake up in the morning and everything is wet, but you didn't actually *see* it rain, do you insist it didn't rain?  I guess these jurors do.  They disregarded the entire prosecution case~ only 10 hours and 40 minutes of deliberations proves that they didn't go over any of the evidence.

There are people in this country on death row and people that have been put to death already that have less evidence against them.

Having said all that, I am not one of these crazy people crying and screaming for new laws to prevent this from happening again.  This is how our justice system works~ better to set 10 guilty free than convict 1 innocent.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:35:17 AM »
I think the prosecution calling for the death penalty may also not have helped.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:25:25 PM »
I have been watching this case as well.  Its crazy that there are so many people on death row with no DNA proof, or even  weapon evidence.  For example Scott Petersen, another case I watched. Yet She gets freed bangsheadgif
I think she is out already.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets