Author Topic: I am starting to understand the passion  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
I am starting to understand the passion
« on: September 28, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
I do have a thread going, reporting my raw feeding progress.  But I wanted to say this separate.  I am ....stunned....absolutely stunned, by the difference in my cats, since adding some raw to their diet.

And they are only getting a small portion of raw daily, in addition to their canned diet.

So now....I begin to understand the passion that drives raw feeders. When you see improvements in a cat who never before seemed to do well, is one thing and certainly something to be thrilled by.  But when you see the vast improvement in a cat who you didn't think needed improving, it really brings the message home.

I hope I will never become one of those annoying arrogant pushy types who thinks that anyone who doesn't feed raw is not taking proper care of their cats. But..I can kind of see how they become that way.  Now that I am seeing these improvements in MY cats, I want ALL cats to experience these improvements.  Not out of arrogance.  But because I love all cats, and it would make me happy to know that they were all feeling as good as mine are starting to feel.

I just can't believe it! I can't take my eyes off of Struvite Kitty and Little Cat.  Their physiques, their energy levels, their coats.  Their eagerness to play, and the way they move.  And now that Top Cat is getting some raw daily, I expect I will soon see improvements in her.

I just can't get over it.  It's incredible.

And it makes me realize that, in spite of all my protestations to the contrary, I may eventually end up a frankenprey (prey model) feeder after all. funny2

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: I am starting to understand the passion
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »
Just say the word, MC, and I'll ship some of Pookie's feeder mice to you.  :D  Just don't tell Pookie!   funny2
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »
 thumbsup1 woooohooooo!!!! thumbsup1
When I learned more about Feline nutrition, I wanted to shout it from the roof tops, lol!!
Over at Catsfur I was posting like a mad person about switching cats to an all wet food.
I was not ready for raw at that time, but I agreed with the raw feeders whole heartedly.
It is science, pure and simply put that they should be eating what nature intended, not
cereal everyday.  Though I have concerns too about feeding an all wet diet, just because
its coming out of a can (BPA) also that some of the ingredients are iffy.
So this is why I have started to feed  Raw, and hopefully frankenprey one day too.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
 DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

Wish this profound post could be plastered on everything imaginable, including billboards. THIS is one letter which should be going Viral on those social network sites.     love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1

I do have a thread going, reporting my raw feeding progress.  But I wanted to say this separate.  I am ....stunned....absolutely stunned, by the difference in my cats, since adding some raw to their diet.

And they are only getting a small portion of raw daily, in addition to their canned diet.

So now....I begin to understand the passion that drives raw feeders. When you see improvements in a cat who never before seemed to do well, is one thing and certainly something to be thrilled by.  But when you see the vast improvement in a cat who you didn't think needed improving, it really brings the message home.

I hope I will never become one of those annoying arrogant pushy types who thinks that anyone who doesn't feed raw is not taking proper care of their cats. But..I can kind of see how they become that way.  Now that I am seeing these improvements in MY cats, I want ALL cats to experience these improvements.  Not out of arrogance.  But because I love all cats, and it would make me happy to know that they were all feeling as good as mine are starting to feel.

I just can't believe it! I can't take my eyes off of Struvite Kitty and Little Cat.  Their physiques, their energy levels, their coats.  Their eagerness to play, and the way they move.  And now that Top Cat is getting some raw daily, I expect I will soon see improvements in her.

And it makes me realize that, in spite of all my protestations to the contrary, I may eventually end up a frankenprey (prey model) feeder after all. funny2

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:13:24 PM »
 :-* HeadButt

Welcome to the club!

*chants under breath*
one of us!
one of us!
one of us!

:D

hahaha

I know what you mean about being so excited about the wonders of raw feeding.
It's hard to hold back. 

I do try not to be quite as.. over-enthusiastic.. as I used to be.
But I have to admit it goes against my nature not to say what I think...
So, if I've ever seemed too pushy, I do apologize. 

I think it's great that you are making these discoveries for yourself. 
Sometimes, that's just the best way to learn.   ;)
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »
:-* HeadButt

Welcome to the club!

*chants under breath*
one of us!
one of us!
one of us!

:D

hahaha

I know what you mean about being so excited about the wonders of raw feeding.
It's hard to hold back. 

I do try not to be quite as.. over-enthusiastic.. as I used to be.
But I have to admit it goes against my nature not to say what I think...
So, if I've ever seemed too pushy, I do apologize. 

I think it's great that you are making these discoveries for yourself. 
Sometimes, that's just the best way to learn.   ;)

Never, at least not ever where I've seen you.  My comments along that line were unrelated to this forum.  HOWEVER, now that I know...what it's like, I start to understand certain people's...umm...excess enthusiasm.

Struvite Kitty has lost four years.  I just cannot get over it. I had forgotten how much fun she really could be. I mean, she was still fun, but now....I swear she is four years old again! bananamiddlechild

And on only one ounce a day!  I can hardly wait until her 6 month check up in December.  Oh boy wait 'til my vet sees her!

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »
I love it!!

And I've been saying this for years -- raw feeders aren't passionate because of some weird gene in their makeup, they're passionate because they're freakin' blown away by the improvements in their beloved kitties and want ALL kitties to share in these wonderful benefits.

I've been privileged to help dozens of cat owners make the transition, and met many others who came to raw feeding on their own, and not ONE SINGLE person has EVER said, "Meh, I think there's been some improvement." It is AWAYS, ""Holy cr**, I had no idea how much "better" healthy could be!!"

AC

AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
MC,
Didn't SK pretty much go from dry to wet and raw?  I'm asking because... Maybe mine don't eat enough raw for me to notice huge differences, but I do remember the changes from dry to wet.  Many changes that were totally not expected...but good.  Just wondering if the changes are similar.

raw feeders aren't passionate because of some weird gene in their makeup
  THAT is funny!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 07:10:20 AM »
She went from dry to wet, first.  She was on canned food for 8 months before I started her on any raw.  I noticed a big difference in her coat and energy level after a few months OFF the c/d kibble, but she continued to have regurgitation problems.

But now, on only an ounce of raw a day, her coat is incredibly silky.  I've never seen it like this, she's always had a rough coat.  And her activity level, and the way her face looks. She has lost four years.

I am too afraid to do homemade raw as a complete diet. I will continue with the Rad Cat and canned with her, and gradually add in some homemade, the idea is maybe 1/4 rad cat, 1/4 homemade raw and 1/2 canned.  Or maybe I can save enough money on feeding some homemade raw to feed a little more rad cat, and make it 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:27:07 PM »
Wow.  Didn't realize that it had been 8 months!  Time flies.  Have you ever said anything, to your vet, about the RX food and the damage done to SK kitty?

In a perfect world, I would use Dr. P's recipe...and just toss a few whole "chunks," as snacks for their teeth.  Or have Pookie come over and give them feeder mice.  :)  
I'm not ready (don't know if I will ever be) for a homemade only diet either.  For now... it is canned, commercial raw, and raw pieces.  

As far as changes (from dry to wet)...
For us, the biggest change was no more blockages.  The second biggest change...no barfing of food.  Almost no hairball issues.  Their coats showed huge changes...MUCH softer and no dandruff, from being dehydrated.  Leonard also had "runny" eyes..that went away right away.  Never would have guessed that was dry food related, or not normal. A lot less shedding.  Optimal weight management.  The energy level...not sure THAT change was a good one.  LOL  
I can't remember what other changes there were...off the top of my head. I have a list, of all the changes, around here somewhere.  

I'm reallllly glad things are going so well for your furkids and you!!   HeadButt

PS:  Only one of ours (Lola) has always been fed a wet diet.  It will be interesting...years down the road...to see how things go for her. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: