Author Topic: Rabies Vaccine Waiver...  (Read 4841 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Rabies Vaccine Waiver...
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:13:09 PM »
http://www.thedogplace.org/VACCINES/Rabies-exemption-form-states-2012.asp

These states accept a Medical Rabies Waiver Form signed by a licensed veterinarian:

Alabama, California (2011) Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Note:  The labels on rabies vaccines state that they are for “the vaccination of healthy cats, dogs...” There are medical conditions for which vaccination can jeopardize the life or well-being of an animal.

I wish they allowed it in TN too...my dogs would suddenly become the sickest things on earth! My dogs do NOT run loose nor are they allowed around people's pets that want to fight. WHY do they need it?

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Rabies Vaccine Waiver...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »
NV is a stupid state. 
Not on the list of states that allow exemption.

I don't care.  I haven't taken the furmonsters in for shots in YEARS.
They got their initial shots and boosters, and I called it good.  Done.  Finite.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
I don't care.  I haven't taken the furmonsters in for shots in YEARS.
They got their initial shots and boosters, and I called it good.  Done.  Finite.

If we didn't take our furmonsters everywhere with us, I wouldn't care either. But here in this state you'd better be ready to show they're licensed for rabies--and some vets will even report people if they refuse to get the vaccine. I've recently read a story about one woman in Clarksville been hit up with that misdemeanor charge because the vet reported her.

I've found out about the newer laws here recently though, and after the first 2 annual shots, at 6 mths and a year, it's legal to give them the 3-year vaccine (though I think this is crazy since it's all the same), and their vet had better get THAT vaccine for me or I'll find one that DOES have it.

We still have to get the yearly license from the vet, but now it can be done with the 3-year vaccine listed.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:24:15 AM »
My state allows it, but you wouldn't believe the grief I got from my vet when I asked for the waiver (the last time I took Pookie in for his checkup), based on his past digestive issues and the swelling around his bottom lip that to me, indicates allergies.  And I could be wrong, but I think ALL vaccines (not just rabies) indicate on the label that they are to be used ONLY in healthy animals (meaning if they have chronic disease like allergies or acute disease like cancer, they DON'T get vaccinated).

FMM, if you don't mind my asking, do you take your furkids in for annual check-ups, and if so, how do you get around them being given shots?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »
It's just too risky for me.  It's not just my state that takes these rabies vaccine laws seriously.  My area is practically vigilante about it.  I can't risk my cats being subject to a 6 month quarantine, or being killed, because they aren't up to date on their shots, should they bite someone, or bite me, or another bat gets into the house.

SK, for example is a biter under stress. If she bit someone, even at the clinic where they know her, and she was not up to date on vaccinations she would have to live in a stainless steel cage for 6 months.  That would put her over the edge into insanity.  While I would love to avoid the rabies vaccine for her, because of her health issues, that quarantine is a bigger risk, in my opinion, so she, and the other two, will have to abide by the laws, and the PureVax rabies vaccine is still only approved as a one year shot.

Other than the initial kitten series and one booster a year later of the FVRCP (also known as distemper vaccine) vaccine, the only vaccine they get is the PureVax rabies, but it is still an annual vaccine.

My vet, like me, would like to see the laws changed.  But the pharmaceutical companies have so much clout, it isn't likely to happen any time soon.  Imagine the revenue they will lose, when PureVax goes to a three or even five year shot.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
It's just too risky for me.  It's not just my state that takes these rabies vaccine laws seriously.  My area is practically vigilante about it.  I can't risk my cats being subject to a 6 month quarantine, or being killed, because they aren't up to date on their shots, should they bite someone, or bite me, or another bat gets into the house.

That's the exact same thing here. The worst part of them being quarantined and that misdemeanor charge in that bite situation(?)--when you have to go to court for it, you're liable to be named as neglectful, and they can take your pets away from you for that.

So, after that 6 months of turning crazy from being quarantined like that, your pet comes out as some kind of reactive, feral animal that no one else wants and it's killed.

You might as well have just euthanized it from the get-go when given the choice of euthanasia or quarantine after it bit someone.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
Yes.  It's just not worth the risk.  Less than a year before he died my senior seizure kitty "bit" me.  He was a lamb and never bit anyone in his life.  I was trimming his nails and a loud noise (siren) suddenly went off outside, startling him. Somehow his tooth snagged on my finger, and it went deep.  I had to receive treatment for it.  This was not the first time I had to get treatment for a cat bite so I was familiar with the process.  He was put on 10 day in house quarantine. Here was a 11 year old indoor cat who had faithfully had his rabies shots all his life, never missed a one, but he was on quarantine.  I had to fill out forms and respond to phone calls. When the 10 days were up the Dept of Health called me to find out the health of my cat.  When I didn't call back right away they called twice more and the third call was almost threatening, if I didn't follow up. (I wasn't deliberately not calling back, but had trouble getting to a phone during day time hours)

If he hadn't been up to date on his shots he would have had to endure the six month quarantine. He had a lot of health problems.  He had to take medication three times a day. He could have become sick during that time, and there would have been nothing I could have done about it.

This is one system I won't buck, since it is for my cats' protection to follow the law.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »
Where I live, cats aren't required to have rabies shots.  Dogs are required every 3 years.  I can't think of a way around it...without doing a LOT of lying. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: