Author Topic: Dr. Jean Hofve (retired)  (Read 10748 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Dr. Jean Hofve (retired)
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
Note:  All information here is from the site Little Big Cat, http://www.littlebigcat.com/ with Dr. Hofve's written permission.  Please visit the Free Article Library at Little Big Cat for some great information about feline nutrition, health, behavior, and holistic healing.

Holistic veterinarian and author Dr. Jean has 18 years’ experience in conventional and alternative veterinary medicine. She has a passion for feline health and nutrition; she has intensively studied and researched pet nutrition and the pet food industry since the early 1990s. She is recognized as an expert on pet food, having written dozens of articles and been interviewed for print, radio, and television around the world.  In 1995, she founded Spirit Essences (now owned and operated by Jackson Galaxy), which makes flower essence remedies for many animal health and behavior problems. Her first book, The Complete Guide to Holistic Cat Care: An Illustrated Handbook, co-authored with nutritionist Dr. Celeste Yarnall, won a 2010 Certificate of Excellence as well as the 2010 Muse Medallion Award for best book from the Cat Writers’ Association.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Dr. Jean Hofve (retired)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:02:02 AM »
Dr. Jean Hofve IS awesome!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

She is also on Twitter...if anyone is interested.  
http://twitter.com/#!/drjeandenver
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:05:59 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »
and is on facebook too :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:54:38 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Kitties!
Gotta love her twitters--

Dr. Jean Hofve
drjeandenver Dr. Jean Hofve
Is There a Link Between Fish Oil and Hyperthyroidism in Cats?: http://EzineArticles.com/?id=2610833
15 Jul 09

Dr. Jean Hofve
Nutro recalled several dry cat foods (which you aren't feeding anyway, right?) : http://bit.ly/10R4C6
25 May 09

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »

Dr. Jean Hofve
Nutro recalled several dry cat foods (which you aren't feeding anyway, right?) : http://bit.ly/10R4C6
25 May 09

:)   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »
If you’re looking for reliable information on holistic health, behavior, and nutrition for your cat (and dog!), holistic veterinarian Dr. Jean Hofve and feline behavior expert Jackson Galaxy  are here to help! We want to help you keep your cats (and dogs!) healthy and happy by preventing and resolving behavior, nutrition, and health issues through holistic, “mind-body” methods.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:10:27 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dr. Jean's Blog (jhofve77)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
An active blog with LOTS of great information!

http://www.littlebigcat.com/author/jhofve77/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:17:18 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
spiritessences.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
About the Essences
First, our company was founded by Dr. Jean Hofve, a respected holistic veterinarian. Our remedies are the only veterinarian-formulated essence remedies in the world. Dr. Jean has more than a dozen years' experience working with essences in a wide variety of species and settings. Jackson Galaxy, Spirit Essences president, is a nationally known and respected cat behavior consultant who has helped develop and refine our remedies based on his experience and the needs of his own clients.

We make our own line of essences, Rocky Mountain Essences, but we do not restrict our formulas to any one line or even to just the Bach remedies. Spirit Essences draw from many of the finest essence lines in the world: Flower Essence Society, Kauai Flower Essences, Master's Essences, Pacific Essences, South African Essence and Gem, Australian Living Essences, AUM Himalaya, Green Hope Farm, Bailey Essences and Watersong Sanctuary. These include essences of not only plants but also animals, gems and some very unusual ethereal essences.

Spirit Essences use only pure Eldorado Natural Spring Water from a cold-water artesian spring in Eldorado Canyon near Boulder, Colorado. This water is then enhanced with Full Color Spectrum Light, Reiki Energy, and our own gem enhanced base water. Spirit Essences use up to 20 essences in each of our remedy formulas. We continuously review and update all our remedies as we add new essences to our repertory of over 300 essences, and we also constantly fine-tune these formulas based on feedback from clients as well as clinical and personal experience.

Spirit Essences is a pioneer in the vibrational essence field. For example Ultimate Peacemaker was the world's first multi-formula set for animal use; it has been extremely successful, even in very difficult situations.

We know and respect the many other makers of essences and essence formulas that are out there for you to choose from. We are all working for the same thing, and that is to help your animal companion heal from emotional and physical trauma.

Thank you for your support. Please let us know what you think - we would love to hear from you!

http://www.spiritessences.com/

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
Her book ...

co-authored with nutritionist Dr. Celeste Yarnall, and 2010 winner of a Certificate of Excellence and a prestigious Muse Medallion award from the Cat Writers’ Association

The Complete Guide to Holistic Cat Care: An Illustrated Handbook
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:02:28 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 10:59:13 PM »
I have lost all respect for this vet and this website.  I do not see how any veterinarian can be so irresponsible as to post this kind of advice on the internet.  People in general are not...bright, nor do they follow instructions carefully.  They look for cheap easy fixes, unwilling to spend any money or effort on their pets. Many do not know what 20% means.  Many will read this and think it is okay to give cats brandy or vodka.

In fact, there is at least one person who already does, the person I am trying to reason with,  who is trying avoid "wasting" money at the vet for a cat with a serious eye problem, based on their description.

They have quoted this website to me telling me it is okay to give vodka to their cat for his eye problem, because a VET recommends giving a cat vodka and linked me to this site, where I discovered Dr J Hofva does indeed instruct people to include 20% vodka or brandy when mixing their own flower essence concoctions.  I am just blown away by such blatant irresponsibility.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/do-it-yourself-bach-flower-essences/

How this person I was trying to help came to the conclusion that giving vodka to the cat will help the cat's eye infection is beyond me, but it illustrates my point, that people will hear what they want to hear, and it is the cat who suffers.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 11:37:49 PM »
I dunnnnno, MC.  That is kinda like the person that blamed the soup company for not stating, on their label, to OPEN the can of soup BEFORE heating it in the microwave.  
People have to take SOME responsibility for not having or using common sense.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 11:57:10 PM »
I guess.  But Lola, alcohol IS toxic to cats.  It is poison to cats.  I just can't see how anyone with any sense of responsibility, especially a veterinarian,  can recommend people use alcohol in home preparations for cats. I just...can't wrap my mind around it.  That's what this idiot kept saying to me.  A VET says it is okay to give my cat vodka.

Yes, but not the cat's vet.  A net-vet.  Anyone can call themselves a vet on the internet.  Oh I know Jean Hofva is considered legitimate.  But all the more reason to not post such stuff, without even adding at least some kind of warning or caution about how alcohol is toxic to cats, and great caution should be used.

I admit, I am over worked, over stressed, over tired, and grieving just now.  But this is incomprehensible to me.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:13:31 AM »
I do get what you are saying.  I am TOTALLY fine with your post and opinion!  I was just kinda going with the other side of the coin...so to speak.
Personally, I wouldn't give any of my pets any kind of alcohol either.
Also, I don't know anything about her flower essence product line.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:15:15 AM by Lola »

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 01:02:08 AM »
..., but it illustrates my point, that people will hear what they want to hear,....

This is a true statement, and applies to every topic imaginable; however, it is by no stretch of the imagination a reason to refrain from disseminating information.

Dr. Hofve doesn't recommend feeding alcohol to cats, that's an extrapolation your acquaintance made to suit his own desires. The relaxation remedy she describes is to be used primarily on the cat and around the cat's environment, with only a few drops offered for consumption.

I have corresponded with Dr. Hofve personally and she is an exceedingly intelligent, caring person with a high level of expertise. It is no more her fault that this person chooses to twist something she wrote to justify his insane behavior than it is my fault when someone starts throwing down chicken wings as their cat's sole diet after reading my Frankenprey / Whole Prey Feeding Guide on CatCentric.org.

I understand your dismay at this person's behavior, but the responsibility for that choice lies at his feet, not Dr. Hofve's.

And big <<HUGS>> for having such a gosh-awful rough day!!!!!   :-*

Best regards.

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 07:17:07 AM »
Dr Hofva answered my complaint promptly and has said she will add a caution to her article about how to add the alcohol to the home made tinctures. :)