Author Topic: Dr. Jean Hofve (retired)  (Read 10778 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 07:51:34 AM »
She has altered the article to be more specific on how to use the alcohol.  I am mollified. bananamiddlechild

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »
I dunnnnno, MC.  That is kinda like the person that blamed the soup company for not stating, on their label, to OPEN the can of soup BEFORE heating it in the microwave.  
People have to take SOME responsibility for not having or using common sense.

NO such things as either one anymore (generally speaking = mainstream).

red is mine

....(people)  They look for cheap easy fixes, unwilling to spend any money or effort on their pets. Many do not know what 20% means.  Many will read this and think it is okay to give cats brandy or vodka....

How this person I was trying to help came to the conclusion that giving vodka to the cat will help the cat's eye infection is beyond me, but it illustrates my point, that people will hear what they want to hear, and it is the cat who suffers.

You nailed it -- ONLY what they want to hear with TWO prerequisites: EASY and instant.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:22:33 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »
MC,
I'm impressed with Dr. Jean Hofve (once again).   thumbsup1 She answered your complaint AND edited the wording in her article.  My GUESS would be she never assumed (in her wildest dreams) that someone would interpret the article in the way your acquaintance did.  Doh1    

In all fairness to Dr. Jean Hofve, the following is her response:
Essences can be given topically or just sprayed around the room. The cat does not have to take them by mouth. This is clear in the instructions. It is also easy to evaporate out the alcohol by setting in warm water; for a few minutes. The dose is a few drops, of which 20% is alcohol. The dose is miniscule. We have tried many other substitutions but they really don’t work as well. Since it is so easy to get rid of the alcohol before administering the drops, we don’t worry about cumulative effects of 1/4 drop or two. This vet has worked with these remedies closely for more than 20 years and given them to thousands of animals with no adverse effects. I believe that the love and intention is the most important ingredient! BTW Spirit Essences is a separate entity from Little Big Cat; we’re about 1000 miles apart, actually. If you have comments about the remedies, you should really contact them. Little Big Cat is totally different.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:55:10 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: LittleBigCat.com
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
Yes, I have had my faith restored by her prompt replies to my emails and the quick action that she took.  We had a very pleasant exchange and I learned something: how you can let the alcohol evaporate from the drops, if you are giving them internally..  Just from the dose you are about to give, not from the whole bottle, as she also explained why the preservative is necessary.

And she also learned something from me....about human nature and how....clueless..... people can be. :D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »
Soooooo, does the person that was treating an eye infection with vodka ( :o) also clued in now?

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
Sorry, late to the party here.

The problem is that most folks don't really understand herbal remedies at all.

Only a couple hundred years ago, almost everyone knew some bit about how to prepare herbs for treatments.  Poultices, slaves, teas, and tinctures were the norm in many households.  Some folks excelled in it, and were the equivalent of the town's pharmacist, but common treatments were... common.

Today, it's a completely different story.  The reliance is on the medical and pharmaceutical industries to treat all our ills.  Treatments come in easily swallowed pills.

When people go to the Whole Foods, or local health store that stocks salves, oils, tinctures and herbs, they often have to be instructed on the proper use of them.  There is a whole "re-education" process involved.

A few years ago, I got curious about herbalism, bought several books on the subject, and I learned a lot of small details that most folks would not know.

I knew you could evaporate the alcohol in a bit of water before treating with a tincture.
I know that the medium (oil, alcohol, water) determines how something is to be used.
I have an understanding of what kind of herbs should be steeped (infusion), and which should be boiled (decotion).
Also, each medium or preparation will "pull" different properties from the herbs.

BUT even then, I count my knowledge as "simple" at best.  I would still recommend anyone new to herbalism to rely on an experienced herbalist for preparations and treatments.  Doing it yourself without proper research is taking an incredible gamble.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 10:40:05 PM »
Sorry, late to the party here.

The problem is that most folks don't really understand herbal remedies at all.

Only a couple hundred years ago, almost everyone knew some bit about how to prepare herbs for treatments.  Poultices, slaves, teas, and tinctures were the norm in many households.  Some folks excelled in it, and were the equivalent of the town's pharmacist, but common treatments were... common.

Today, it's a completely different story.  The reliance is on the medical and pharmaceutical industries to treat all our ills.  Treatments come in easily swallowed pills.

When people go to the Whole Foods, or local health store that stocks salves, oils, tinctures and herbs, they often have to be instructed on the proper use of them.  There is a whole "re-education" process involved.

A few years ago, I got curious about herbalism, bought several books on the subject, and I learned a lot of small details that most folks would not know.

I knew you could evaporate the alcohol in a bit of water before treating with a tincture.
I know that the medium (oil, alcohol, water) determines how something is to be used.
I have an understanding of what kind of herbs should be steeped (infusion), and which should be boiled (decotion).
Also, each medium or preparation will "pull" different properties from the herbs.

BUT even then, I count my knowledge as "simple" at best.  I would still recommend anyone new to herbalism to rely on an experienced herbalist for preparations and treatments.  Doing it yourself without proper research is taking an incredible gamble.

bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

(in lieu of a thumbs up which I guess we don't have..yet)

Your post expresses much of why that article disturbs me so much.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »

(in lieu of a thumbs up which I guess we don't have..yet)

It is inbetween these two   cat3 thumbsup1 Bumpurr1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »
It is inbetween these two   cat3 thumbsup1 Bumpurr1

thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

I see it now!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »
 ;D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dr. Jean Hofve Is Also Attending The AAFCO Meeting In Vegas
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »
Her Blog:

Little Big Cat is coming to you today from beautiful Reno, Nevada; I’m attending the mid-year meeting of AAFCO, the Association of American Feed Control Officials. If that organization sounds familiar, it’s because you’ve seen it on virtually every can, bag, roll, and every other form of commercial pet food you’ve ever bought. AAFCO sets the standards for pet food regulation in the U.S. (and essentially for Canada). Although AAFCO is not itself a regulatory body, its members–volunteers from each state–are the regulators and enforcers of state laws affecting animal feed and pet food.

Years ago, when I worked at the Animal Protection Institute (now Born Free USA), I was what was then called a “liaison” (now referred to as an “advisor”) to AAFCO on its Pet Food and Ingredient Definition Committees. These are the primary committees dealing with pet food issues. I learned a lot from attending these meetings, and have continued to attend when possible since then. I haven’t been for a few years, but now, in my capacities as veterinary advisor to Only Natural Pet Store, blogger, and general rabble-rouser, I’m back! And I’ve regained my (literal) place at the table on the Pet Food and Ingredient Definition Committees as an advisor. The meetings of those committees will take place tomorrow and Thursday. I’m sure there will be lots to report after that!

Meanwhile, this morning’s general session included several speakers from FDA and a few other interesting surprises. For details on today’s meeting, check out Susan Thixton’s blog at TruthAboutPetFood.com. We’ve joined forces to And most importantly, tonight Susan and I will be having a live internet chat at Google+ Hangouts. This is totally new technology for me…but if you’d like to join us, and you have a Google account, add Susan to your circle on Google+, or friend her on Facebook to get details. I’m sure we’ll do it again, if you can’t make it on such short notice (sorry!).

I’ll keep you posted on new developments as they occur!

http://www.littlebigcat.com/blog/hot-news-on-pet-food/

Dr. Jean Hofve, veterinarian, former Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association, has researched pet food and pet nutrition for more than a dozen years. Working two years as a full-time animal advocate for the Animal Protection Institute, she was a liaison to AAFCO, the organization that sets standards for the pet food industry. Also serving as a practicing veterinarian and four-term President of the Rocky Mountain Holistic Veterinary Medical Association, she has unique knowledge of the pet food industry and pet nutrition. She has written extensively on nutrition for Animal Wellness Magazine, The Whole Dog Journal, DogWorld, Cats Magazine, and the Journal of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:41:35 AM by Lola, Reason: spelled AAFCO wrong...go figure! »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Dr. Jean Hofve Is Also Attending The AAFCO Meeting In Vegas
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »
 thumbsup1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets