Author Topic: Catster And Dogster Shutting Down  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Catster And Dogster Shutting Down
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:25:55 AM »
As of March 3rd Catster will be shut down
http://www.catster.com/the-scoop/big-changes-catster-hq

I'm SHOCKED... to say the least. 

Ohhhhh, they are just closing the community part.  Not surprised. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:03:15 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Catster And Dogster Shutting Down
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:02:36 AM »
Today we are announcing some changes at Catster and Dogster. While the Catster and Dogster sites will continue to exist as daily magazines that serve the worldwide community of dog and cat families, it is with a heavy heart that we announce that we will be closing the Community areas of the sites effective March 3. This means that members of the Catster Community will no longer be able to see Pet Profiles, Forums, Groups, Answers, Local Listings, Photo Galleries, Games, Quizzes, Adoption, Cat of the Day, Diary Central, the Gift store, and the Community homepage past that date.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:40:40 AM »
Save Catster Petition...  One response:

Purred: Fri Jan 17, '14 1:47pm PST

We will sign but it won't do any good. The money-grubbing sleazebags are just laughing at us all the way to the bank. It's all money and they do not care a rat's posterior about us or how many of us are angry with them. It would be better to find a way to hurt them financially to get their attention.   

Kinda surprised, the above post, hasnt been bathed yet. 

http://www.catster.com/forums/Tips_Tricks_and_Help_On_Catstercom/thread/796498

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »
I liked this part:

If you have purchased a Plus subscription or Zealies in the past 60 days, please email refunds@dogster.com or refunds@catster.com to be refunded. We will do our best to refund you within a week of your request.

If I'd paid for a year or something, they'd be prorating the time left and I'd be getting something back too--even if it were only a month's payment left on what I'd paid. Odd how they think they can take peoples' money and run.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
I feel bad for the folks who used that site as a community gathering place, but after the No Nutro debacle, I can't say I'm all that surprised.  The people who run that site have ALWAYS been more concerned about making money rather than promoting a healthy community.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »
The people who run that site have ALWAYS been more concerned about making money rather than promoting a healthy community.

Say Media owns Dogster and Catster... and others.  Say Media truly is ALL about ad revenue only.  Seriously.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 09:14:29 PM »
I've been reading the petitions.  While I am sad for the people losing their community, they don't realize how many other choices, with just as much wealth of information and friendship, are out there.  Everyone thinks "their" forum is the only one that's any good. I belong to maaany, and there are plenty that are just as good as if not better than Catster.

I know, having to be absorbed in another community is not the same, but...still they are wrong that there are none to compare.

There's us, at PFK for one.  We're small and quiet, but could be bigger if more will join and contribute.  And there's a lot less censorship, from what I gather based on comments here over the lats two years.

There are also other very busy forums with very knowledgeable people, , and a few other slow ones that are just lying around waiting for some new people to revive them. While I understand they are losing their special pages that is a unique feature of Caster and that would bother me greatly, too, the community, their friendships, do not have to be lost.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »

There's us, at PFK for one.  We're small and quiet, but could be bigger if more will join and contribute.  And there's a lot less censorship, from what I gather based on comments here over the lats two years.

MC... Such a team player.   HeadButt

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
Lol MC I dont think they or me are talking about the forums, that part of Catster is very slow now.
They are talking about their profile pages they made for their pets at rainbow bridge. You could comment on peoples profile pages, give gifts, treats, etc, plus have parties on your profile page. I remember having a party on a friends page and we actually shut the server down it had so many comments, lol!   I know I made lots of special friends at Catster.  While I did see it coming, I still feel bad for those who really put alot of work into their pages. In the last couple years I have not been there much, so its not so bad for me.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
I do understand about the profile pages. I wonder if there is any way for each person to copy and paste their own pages?

Anyway, I hope you invite them here.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »
I know this would take some work to code, and I don't know how large our server is, but would it be possible to add a a pets section to users' profile pages so that we could have profiles for our pets here as well?

I haven't been on the forum side of catster for a while (really since I found this place), but I do like that Amber has a profile page there, and it would make catster refugees feel more welcome here. I have never coded a forum, but I do know CSS, HTML, Javascript, C# and VB so I would be willing to help if I could.

And there is much less (virtually no) censorship here. Other than shrinking images, the only modification made by a mod to any post that I know of has been one of mine, and that was because I requested it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 08:23:44 AM »
To Shadow's point, I think it's more about losing the profile pages.  I never took down the one I had for Pookie's sister, because it was a way I could still have her with me.  Losing that is like losing her all over again.   :'( I printed the profiles for Pookie and his sister, so I at least have something.

I just posted a comment to the announcement about Catster shutting down the communities, and directing folks here.  I may also post something in the forums as well.  My comment:

Hi All,

I haven’t posted here in a long time, though I’d kept meaning to. Now that Catster is going away, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone here for their advice and support when I first joined. I’d gone through years of struggle trying to understand why my cats had so many digestive problems, and after I learned about raw feeding, I tried to find a raw forum where I’d feel comfortable asking questions. I discovered Catster, and for the first time, I didn’t feel alone. You’ll never know how much that meant to me, that I could come here and ask questions and FINALLY get some answers.

I also want to thank those of you who’ve sent Zealies and gifts to Pookie and his sister, Bonnie. Thank you so much for your kindness and thoughtfulness. I truly appreciate it.
If you want to find another community of dog and cat lovers who are very focused on species-appropriate nutrition and care, or just people who love their furkids, please feel free to visit or join me at Parenting Furkids http://parenting-furkids.com/i.... You may recognize some of us from Catster. The folks there are very friendly and helpful, membership is free, and we'd love to have you!

Whether you join me there or not, I wish you all the best. And thanks again, for everything.

Hugs and purrs,

Pookie and Bonnie's Mom
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 08:25:38 AM »
Also, in the comments to the announcement, there are many other folks suggesting different locations/sites where members are.  So hopefully at least some of the relationships will be maintained.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:39 AM »
I am open to ANYTHING.  :)  With that said...  my little brain thought members would use the Gallery for pet profiles...so to speak. 

I will see what I can find to spruce up profiles.  Amber, I may take you up on your offer.  :)

Pookie, that was niiiice. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:32:22 AM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
Thanks, Lola.   :-* HeadButt

I posted the link to PFK in a few of the forums, too.   :)

Tags: