Author Topic: Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) for urinary crystals  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) for urinary crystals
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
Hi MC,

While I was at my vitamin store today, the owner told me about a customer of hers who has a cat with crystal issues.  The woman does feed wet only, though the store owner wasn't sure if it was grain-free, and she's been giving her cat 1/8 tsp (600mg) of non-buffered ascorbic acid in the cat's food 2 times a week.  The cat's crystal issues stopped.  I asked what kind of crystals the cat had (e.g. calcium or magnesium) and the store owner didn't know.

Interestingly, the book I have on natural remedies for cats also mentions vitamin C for urinary issues, though it doesn't specify which crystals to use it for, though perhaps it's good for both.  I have to be honest and say the book is from 1999, though.  That said, I know vitamin C is anti-inflammatory, and perhaps it helps to acidify the urine (I'm guessing it's called "ascorbic acid" for a reason  :D).

Anyway, I wanted to toss this info out there to you and anyone else so you could do some digging if you wanted to.   :)

P.S.  I know you weren't confident about the testing strips that you were using to test Mazy's urine when she gets the ACV, but I think you can find better strips (that go down to a lower number) on Amazon, if you decide you want to try testing the pH again.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) for urinary crystals
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
Thank you Pookie.  I have heard of using C before.  It is to acidify the urine to prevent struvite crystals from forming. I've always been afraid to try it, as I was also afraid to try the l-methionine.  Since Mazy is asymptomatic as far as any FLUTD issues, these days, and my main focus is on her digestive issues, I am afraid to rock the boat too much, without more reason to do so.  If she was having problems, of course, that would be different.

However it is good information, so I'm glad you posted.

The Phinex strips came highly recommended but they vary so wildly I just don't know. There are too many to choose from!

Tags: