Author Topic: Welcome Pet South!!  (Read 17018 times)

Offline Pookie

• Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Welcome Pet South!!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 08:33:01 AM »
Lysine certainly wouldn't hurt.  You could also add Vitamin C with bioflavanoids to their food for immune support.  You have to go by weight, though, but you'll know they're getting to much if they get diarrhea  :o.  Dr. Hofve has more information on her site, http://www.littlebigcat.com/.  The homeopathic remedy allium cepa is used for colds, if you want to try that route.

I forgot to ask, are your kitties on a probiotic?  If not, that might be worth a try, as it helps the immune system, too.

Sending purrs that Watson is feeling better today!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »
Watson has ups and downs, going to vet again today. Definately need to get something into all of them. Right now though its more of a financial question though, have a fundraiser for Watson's vet costs as my job is hardly earning me enough to pay my bills. It slows down in the winter
Because pets are family...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
What did the vet have to say today? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 06:33:29 PM »
No FIV, no FeLV, he is slightly anemic but vet said his bloodwork tells him he is getting better. Gave us some vitamines to give him. He definately does not like the thermometer lol, didn't wanna come outta the box today. Thx for asking.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 05:06:54 PM »
No FIV, no FeLV, he is slightly anemic but vet said his bloodwork tells him he is getting better. Gave us some vitamines to give him. He definately does not like the thermometer lol, didn't wanna come outta the box today. Thx for asking.

Glad to hear no FIV or FeLV!
What kind of vitamins is he getting now?

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 05:34:40 PM »
Liqui-tinic, but he doesnt want it. Now Fish is sick, same symptoms and Watson is still not good

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 05:37:56 PM »
Now Fish is sick, same symptoms and Watson is still not good

I'm starting to think it's time to do some quarantining, and especially keep the newest away from them all.  :(
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
We thought the same but these two hardly have that much contact. We make sure they don't share bowls. Fish has been sneezing for some time though.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
I would definitely quarantine a newbie.  I didn't do it ONE time and... well, what is done is done. 

Not sure of Watson's EXACT issues, but....do you have any interest in Lysine? 

To quote someone else.. Lysine is needed for "growth, tissue repair, and the production of antibodies, horomones and enzymes."  It also mentions that "if you're often tired, unable to concentrate, prone to bloodshot eyes, nausea, dizziness, hair loss, and anemia, you could have a lysine deficiency."

It may not help, but I don't believe it will hurt... if Watson is sharing an URI and/or kitty cold.  Can you ask your vet?  I'd be happy to send you some. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
PS
Do NOT feel any pressure.  If you think it is something your vet would approve of, and you are interested... I'm all in.  You could put it on a wish list with Amazon...and I wouldn't have to know any personal info to send it to you. 

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Of course. We asked our vet and he didn't really say yes or no. He gave us the other stuff. I'm just in a bad situation right now and calling in sick plus the vet cost is not helping. Our 'newbie' was in quarantine for 10 days. She is sneezing too though, getting her second vacs on Wed. Feel free to PM me.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 06:46:47 PM »
She is sneezing too though, getting her second vacs on Wed.

I don't think you're supposed to give cats vaccinations when they're sick. I know you're not supposed to with dogs. It says so on those package inserts of vaccines.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 06:48:38 PM »
I didn't think so either but the vet did anyway. I told him she was sneezing. I have mixed feelings about certain vets sometimes

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 07:04:58 PM »
Yeah. Well when I took Vlad in for that infected hot-spot paw, the assistant asked me first thing, "Do you want to get his boosters and rabies today?"

I said, "No. He's sick. I consider an infection sick. I know an infection when I see one. It says you're not supposed to on those vaccine package inserts." I heard her whispering outside the door to the vet before he came in, but nothing else was said.

One of Vlad's brothers lives about 5 miles from us. I think they consider them a "problem" family too, because of something I overheard one vet say to another the first time we took Vlad in for a check-up. ("Same breeder. You might have the same problems as yesterday.") Brother had already been in the day before us and also refused vaccines at 8 weeks. We all just pretty much wanted to make sure their hearts, etc sounded normal. Nothing else.

Told you I was bad about arguing with the "experts." BOL

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »
I will definitely ask him about it on Wed. I think it's weird that cat after cat is getting sick all of a sudden and have wondered if it might have something to do with the vaccinations although Watson had all his baby shots.

Tags: