Author Topic: A Rescue Movement That Somewhat Befuddles Me  (Read 2425 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
A Rescue Movement That Somewhat Befuddles Me
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:09:04 AM »
More and more I hear about people rescuing pets from other countries--mostly dogs. Why are they doing this if they haven't lived there in that foreign country for a certain period of time and had a chance to absolutely fall in love with the animal within a physical perspective?

Some of the people doing the rescuing HAVE visited those places, but they're not bringing the pets home to their own homes. They're finding homes with other people for these pets. So, in my book, I can't say that the ones visiting that country have actually fallen into total adoration with that animal that's getting thousands spent on it to bring it here.

So many rescuers preach at those of us that choose to go to reputable breeders to get exactly what we want instead of going to rescues and hoping we get at least one of the personality traits that we're wanting. BUT they, their OWN selves, are ignoring pets in their own country (throwing out a lot of dollars that could help more than one rescue pet here in this country while they're at it) to bring one, single rescue pet from across the seas.

Somehow, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around all of this being something that makes them SO much better than those of us that want a lot of specific, inherent traits to perform specific jobs. I won't even get started on people adopting human children from other countries when there are so many children in this country that need homes.

Just another one of those things in life that makes me go, "Hmmmmmm."

EDIT: I in no way mean those people that are bringing back an animal that they fell in love with and feel they don't want to live without--like soldiers. Sometimes having a pet over there makes things bearable, and they actually end up needing those pets. Same goes for health workers and others that go over there for months and see so much sadness that a pet they find over there is the only way they make it through the emotional roller-coaster of seeing life's horrors without breaking down. If I were one of them, I too would want that animal in my life for as long as possible.

No. I'm talking about going to other countries and actively seeking out animals to rescue for other people to have.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:22:49 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: A Rescue Movement That Somewhat Befuddles Me
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »
I know what you are talking about Dee.  There was a huge thread about this in another forum I frequent, a while back. 

One of the angles I read was that some of these countries are so backward about animal welfare that it's important that more enlightened countries do what they can (the forum is UK based).

I think people think it makes the animal "more special" to come from somewhere else. It makes them (in their own heads) appear more important, that they rescued from some exotic place.  Or maybe I'm just too cynical.

I'm with you, I think, in general,  rescue should start at home - so to speak.

Another issue parallel to this is people who want to rescue a cat or dog who becomes "famous" for whatever reason, but never seem to consider just going to a shelter and getting a dog there. If it's not a famous animal from being rescued from some bizarre circumstance upplayed by all the media, they don't want the animal.

And then there's these kind of comments:  "oh she's so cute, I wish I lived closer, I'd have her in a heartbeat".  The answer to that of course is:  "I'm sure your own shelter has someone just as cute and in just as much need of a home".

Sorry about the drift.  ;D

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »

One of the angles I read was that some of these countries are so backward about animal welfare that it's important that more enlightened countries do what they can (the forum is UK based).

Yes. I get that so many of these places are "backward" compared to the US and other countries. However (this is another big peeve of mine), why is it up to our and other "higher-level" countries to "save" them from themselves?

We sure haven't solved our own problems in these arenas, so why is it that people in our countries feel like they have the right to go over there and tell them they're wrong for their animal rights issues? (We won't talk about those eating what we consider pets, though many of them do out of necessity.) We're talking about countries that have people living in conditions down on the level of what we consider animal abuse. They can barely feed their own mouths. There's no way any sane person can expect them to have great expectations for the animals in their countries.

So. Really. What gives us the right to hold ourselves up as "holier than thou" concerning those countries and go saving animals when so many of the people need saving first? Maybe their countries would be able to get to "our level" of animal rights if their humans were better off.

But we have NO right to say anything to those countries when we have so many homeless; when we are still putting animals to death every day because they're considered un-adoptable; when we have children dreaming of having a forever home of their own too.

All those in rescue that claim that those of us that pay for something specific are putting an animal in a shelter to death? Well they need to straighten out these other rescues first before they attack another one of "us". They need to actively stop animals from being brought into this country (assured of adoption after the trouble and excess of money that was put into bringing them here) until they are have NO pets from this country in their shelters.

Sorry for the rant. But the more I think about this, the more upset I get thinking about all the factors that are in this equation.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
My two cents...I find it VERY odd that someone would "save" an animal from another country, and bring it here.  As mentioned... not an animal someone fell in love with, when visiting a particular country.  Not a soldier's companion animal.  General rescue work. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: