Author Topic: Smart Cat  (Read 8774 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Smart Cat
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:18:54 AM »
I have to tell you all, I caved and I tried a small bag of that new litter that is out. Its called Smart cat, it is made with grass, no chemicals.
I was leary, but I had to try it. I am actually amazed with this stuff. I have now bought more. No smell, light as a feather, no dust, clumps well. It does track a little when they jump out of the litter box, but im fine with that. I just keep a broom beside the boxes. I love this stuff and so does that cats. It is a bit more pricey, but its so worth it. :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Smart Cat
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 08:19:55 AM »
I tried two different Cats Pride.  I know the first one was something "light."  I hated it.  I know you do also.  The second time, it wasn't a light version  I thought I was buying the kind you use, but I'm 99.9% sure I didn't.  It was VERY VERY fine.  It was horribly dusty.  Makes sense because it WAS dust to start with.  It didn't even pretend to clump worth a carp either.  I'm kinda afraid to try a third time.   

Since you are used to the Precious cat, I would think any regular clumping litter may appear very fine to you, but the Cat's Pride I use is not dusty and clumps well. It has the texture of ocean sand when dry. I've never used any other clumping, so I have no basis for comparison on clumping ability, but it satisfies me.  And the lack of dust is quite obvious.

I have to tell you all, I caved and I tried a small bag of that new litter that is out. Its called Smart cat, it is made with grass, no chemicals.
I was leary, but I had to try it. I am actually amazed with this stuff. I have now bought more. No smell, light as a feather, no dust, clumps well. It does track a little when they jump out of the litter box, but im fine with that. I just keep a broom beside the boxes. I love this stuff and so does that cats. It is a bit more pricey, but its so worth it. :)

http://www.pioneerpet.com/product/6506-smart-cat-all-natural-clumping-litter-by-pioneer-pet-20lb-bag/

Being made from grass I am concerned about two things.  Will the cats want to eat it, and does it smell like..hay?

They say it is chemical free but then...what makes it clump?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
Follow up.  I went to the Pioneer Pet site linked above.  They sell it direct.  I searched and found a coupon code (spring15).  With $5.00 shipping I paid $29.71 for a 20 pound bag.

Amazon sells it for $41.00.

With Queen Eva's habit of rolling in the litter boxes, I figure this is worth a try.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:37:55 PM »
  MC i'm not sure what makes it clump, but it does not clump the way that it shows in the video. They have some secret and will not say. Yes I know that freaks me out a bit, but they say that there is no chemical, so lets hope they are telling the truth. Im sure someone could get it tested and see what they use?? but that costs money. My cats do not eat it, there is a faint smell, but I cant put my finger on it to what that smell is.
When I scoop  I scoop out poop first, then I tilt the box so all the litter falls to one side, then scoop out the pee clumps, easy peasy, and it doesn't stick like cement on the bottom. (This is so any small pieces do not mix in with the cleaner litter), and scoop gently.  You do need to keep about 3 inches of litter in the box I find.
I will pay 40$ for large bag, however I did get it on sale for 10$ off last week. It last longer than regular clumping clay.

P.S I am wondering if they use some kind of gelatin to make it clump? tell me what you think when you get it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »
  MC i'm not sure what makes it clump, but it does not clump the way that it shows in the video. They have some secret and will not say. Yes I know that freaks me out a bit, but they say that there is no chemical, so lets hope they are telling the truth.

I'm not sure they can say it's 100% grass and have anything else in it. (Not the lightweight version with clay coating) It's a mixture of several grasses from what I see at their website.

It looks kind of like paper, so that leads me to believe that it might be part bamboo. They make paper out of bamboo and it's a grass.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
In didn't watch the video but I did e mail them and asked what is making the litter clump. I worry about Queen Eva rolling in the clumping litter constantly, I have no idea how much she ends up ingesting when she washes.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:28:35 PM »
I just watched the video. The way they're throwing that hard ball of it around, I'd make sure it's not something dogs would eat if I had dogs too. The thought of it is just screaming "blockage and expensively dangerous surgery" at me.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
There are two formulas, not sure why they made another formula with the clay around it?
That video is weird because I use the original one, not the new formula with clay and it does not do that at all. It is almost gel like but sticks together.  That video scared me too.
If a cat is allergic to grass then I would not use it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 05:10:22 AM »
I sure hope I like this litter.  This company is ANTI-DECLAW!

http://www.pioneerpet.com/product/3817-sky-climber/

Important Note About Declawing:

Scientific journals refer to declawing as “elective mutilation”. It is an amputation of the cat’s toes comparable to the removal of the human finger at the first knuckle. It handicaps the cat physically, socially and psychologically for the rest of its life, predisposing the cat to certain temperament and behavior problems such as shyness, biting and litter box avoidance. By regularly trimming your cat’s nails and offering a suitable scratching target you are providing a natural outlet for a normal, healthy behavior and you will be rewarded with a content and confident companion.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »
 thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:18:12 PM »
From what I read, they recommend at LEAST 3 inches of litter.  That makes it pretty costly for me.  I'll wait for more details about what makes it clump.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 06:26:06 AM »
No reply to my questions yet. Because they are anti-declaw, I really really want to like this litter, but of course, the cats' needs and safety will come first.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
Because they are anti-declaw, I really really want to like this litter

For that reason, I am also very interested in their product.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »
Any updates? 
Shadow,
Depending on the location and whether a box is covered or not... I put a covered box with the opening facing a wall.  Keeps litter tracking to one corner.  It also keeps the dog from sneak "sampling." There is enough room for a cat to get around, but not Lacy dog. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 04:54:40 AM »
I put SmartCat in one of the litter boxes this Sunday (it was dump and replace Sunday)  It got used for the first time yesterday, by Queen Eva (I'm sure it was hers I can tell by size and location of clump)  She's a corner pee-er and it stuck to the side of the box, something they claim won't happen  funny2.

Weird....texture when it's wet.  Will take some getting used to. 

Tags: