Author Topic: Smart Cat  (Read 8775 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Smart Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I think I will stick with Precious Cat.  Although it is still tempting....
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 01:23:36 AM »
Thanks for the tip Lola, I may just have to try that.  It is a different texture isnt it MC. its almost like there is gelatin in it??
but I still love the stuff. I was gonna try a bag of Feline fresh too, has anyone tried that?? its it looks just like the clumping feline pine, but in a bag and not as expensive.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 04:43:34 AM »
Gelatin! That's it!  I wonder if that's what they use? (Neither of my e mails have been answered)  Found a poop in it yesterday, I think Queen Eva is the one using it, but not consistently.  Mazy cat avoids it like the plague.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »
MC,
Did you mix any of the new litter with the old brand?  For my bunch, if the new litter is a LOT different than what they are used to... I have to mix. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
Grass contains cellulose. Cellulose has a gelatinous action, and in fact used as a cheaper replacement for gelatin in some foods. This litter looks like it's processed enough that it would get weird like that.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
Grass contains cellulose. Cellulose has a gelatinous action, and in fact used as a cheaper replacement for gelatin in some foods. This litter looks like it's processed enough that it would get weird like that.

Cellulose is in a lot of pet foods.  Guess that means the cats can safely eat the litter.  /sarcasm

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
Cellulose is in a lot of pet foods.  Guess that means the cats can safely eat the litter.  /sarcasm

The difference between "vegetable" cellulose from plants (like grass) and the pine-tree cellulose used in food is GINORMOUS!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »
Uh oh.  I just opened a can of worms.  I'm out...  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 03:49:06 PM »
Uh oh.  I just opened a can of worms.  I'm out...  :)

funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
Anne Jablonski gives Smart Cat 5 stars!

Sidney-Beans immediately came to investigate and pawed around in the box and gave me instant pee-feedback on the clumping qualities of the litter.  Using a five-star rating system, I'd easily give it five stars.  This stuff is seriously great at clumping.   Light weight.  Not dusty.  Clumps.

http://www.catnutrition.org/blog/the-cat-litter-of-my-dreams

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 07:50:47 AM »
MC,
Did you mix any of the new litter with the old brand?  For my bunch, if the new litter is a LOT different than what they are used to... I have to mix. 

No. I am too tired to do that :(.  I just put one box with the new and the rest with the old.  Queen Eva is using the new, but not every time. I will continue to just keep the one box with the new and the other boxes with the clay clumping for now. I'm not sure if I like it or not, anyway.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
Poo!  If YOU don't like it, I'm wondering if I should bother trying it. 
The light weight, no chemicals, anti-declaw stance... it has a lot going for it.  Hmmmm

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »
I still love the litter, I just don't like the price :(
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
Lola it may just be a matter of getting used to it, for me.  I was taken aback by the...gelatin ...texture of the clumps.

Queen Eva has rolled in it though, and it didn't stick to her fur at all, like the clay clumping does.  THAT is a very good thing.

A 20 pound bag is expensive but it is a LOT of litter. If Queen Eva will roll only in that, I may just keep one box of it going all the time. :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2015, 05:58:59 PM »
Well the draw back of this litter is it really starts to stink after awhile.  I've got only one cat using it, she pees in it once or twice a day, but not every day (she uses the other boxes too) and uses it for pooping maybe twice a week.  I, like always, scoop it as soon as I find anything in it.

The litter is extremely efficient, even after one month I have not had to add any fresh litter to the box.  However, even though it seems to clump well and scoop clean, it is starting to stink. Not like pee, but an icky smell all the same.

I do like that Queen Eva rolls in it and is not covered in dust after, but the smell is bothersome. I hate the idea of dumping out what appears to be an entire box full of what appears to be perfectly good litter.  but what the heck is that smell?

By the way, mixing clay litter with the grass litter is useless.  The clay clumping litter is so heavy compared to the Smartcat it simply drops straight to the bottom of the box, there is no mixing of the two at all.  funny2

Tags: