Author Topic: Rad Cat?  (Read 13872 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Rad Cat?
« on: May 14, 2015, 10:44:02 PM »
Anyone fed Rad Cat?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Rad Cat?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 06:40:32 AM »
I've been feeding it for almost 3 years.  It's a beautiful food!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:33:44 AM »
It is in our rotation with raw from Hare-Today.  The cats like it.  I feed the turkey and chicken only.  Dr. Pierson mentions not feeding anything that has hooves, so I have been leery of trying the lamb.  Maybe some day. 
Anyway... It is nice to see the pets really enjoying their meals.  Every meal.  They ate canned food with no issues.  Some brands/proteins they preferred over others.  BUT... they LOVE raw!

Out of 6 cats, Roxy was the only one that required a little "coaxing."  In defense of RadCat... Roxy always needs coaxing, when something new is introduced.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:37:54 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »
Ok next question..plus some concerns. How much does it cost, and where is it produced? I just saw that on the mainland they sell it, so I could get it shipped to me maybe? but.....

Now here are my concerns: http://www.businessinsider.com/nebraska-declares-state-of-emergency-over-avian-flu-2015-5

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/local/2015/05/15/mn-state-fair-cancels-poultry-shows-due-to-avian-flu/27362825/

plus there was a company here, not where I live but on the mailand that sold all its infected birds to pet food companies, of course we will never know which pet food companies those were..ugh!  not really a problem if the poultry is being cooked though, but what if it was sold to a raw pet food company?

This avian flu does seem to be getting worse, are raw feeders to be worried?

I was going to get some raw food, but I am so leery right now :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »
From the RadCat website:
All of our meats are:

USDA Inspected and US Sourced
Antibiotic and hormone-free
Certified organic, Free-range or pasture-raised
Our raw food is 100% Natural:

No preservatives
No by-products
No grains
No fruits or vegetables
http://www.radfood.com
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 03:59:21 PM by Lola, Reason: forgot the link »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »
I pay $14.84 for 24 oz of chicken.  $14.39 for turkey.  Delivered.  It is sold in town-ish, but I don't drive that far.  SOME day I will have someone take me to the place in town, so I can compare prices. 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 04:04:06 PM »
Hmmm I am wondering how these companies are getting the food into Canada then? as Poultry is banned from coming into Canada from the USA

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »
To see if it is indeed available, enter your postal code here:  http://www.radfood.com/where_to_buy

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 04:11:39 PM »
What about Growlies?  They should have just about anything a person could DREAM of feeding their pet. 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 04:25:05 PM »
I did the search Lola, and it says that a few companies on the mainland have Radcat, but when I actually go to Pet store website, the rad cat is not showing up at all. So I guess that is not an option anyhow.
Growlies is great yes. I may get this kind, what do you think?  Or I just may go back to the Carnivora, but I will have to cook it a bit, or Shadow will not eat it.  Here is the new one they have in. http://www.3pnaturals.com/products/basic-instincts-varieties

Cost is also a factor, but the canned foods are so high priced right now, I cant afford those either :(

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »
I'm a bit late to the conversation, but wanted to say that I did give Pookie the turkey and chicken RadCat.  He liked it.  I did not feed the lamb -- he developed an intolerance to the Nature's Variety Instinct lamb, so I didn't want to try raw lamb.

I was able to get the RadCat from my specialty pet food store.  They would order it for me.  So it's possible that the store you're looking at can order it for you.

I don't remember what I paid, but I was getting the 16 oz tubs.  Raw was Pookie's bedtime snack, so he didn't get it at every meal, and I also rotated with other raw.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »
At our house, Vets Best Hair Ball is equal to Fortiflora.  lol  Maybe you could sprinkle a little of it on the RadCat or 3PNaturals to encourage Shadow.
For some in my bunch, the texture change is the hurdle.  If I can just get whoever to take a few bites... it is a done deal. 
Roxy had to be enticed to eat rabbit (among other things).  Now... she is a MANIAC when she knows rabbit is on the menu. 
Like Pookie, I also rotate raw sources. 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 01:16:05 PM »
 thumbsup1

Hey Pookie guess how much a can of NV lamb is here? 3.99 plus taxes for a small 6oz tin :O
most of the large tins (dog food) are over $5.  The chicken is the cheapest at 3.99

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
thumbsup1

Hey Pookie guess how much a can of NV lamb is here? 3.99 plus taxes for a small 6oz tin :O
most of the large tins (dog food) are over $5.  The chicken is the cheapest at 3.99

I'm always amazed at the differences in prices in other countries. Especially Great Britain, Australia, and Canada. That "petrol by the liter" price is ridiculous once you do the conversion to gallons. Since our dollars hold less worth when converting to pounds, it seems even that much more outrageous. But still. For some reason, I always expect those countries to be a lot more comparable to ours than many things are.

Don't know why I can't get that idea out of my head, but it's there and been there a long time.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »
thumbsup1

jawdrop  OUCH!

I found an old receipt -- I was paying just under $10 for a 16 oz tub of RadCat.  I have a hunch the store didn't have the correct price in the system (that what they charged was too low), but since I didn't know for sure, I wasn't going to argue with them.   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: