Author Topic: Correlation between frequent vomiting and FORL?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Correlation between frequent vomiting and FORL?
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:07:57 AM »
I've been thinking about Mazy cat and her FORL.  The only other cat who was ever diagnosed with resorptive lesions was Tolly.

Both had frequent vomiting episodes most of their lives. Mazy cat, as most of you know was on a terrible diet for 6 years which has caused all her digestive issues and is directly related to her poor motility and frequent regurgitation.

And now, at 11 years old she presented with 4 resorptive lesions, two which had been there long enough for the teeth to have been mostly already reabsorbed.

Tolly's was not diet related, but he had also had motility problems possibly brought on by his life time phenobarbital use.  He didn't regurgitate, he was on a wet diet all his life, but he had terrible trouble with ingested fur.  His fur would just (my theory based on many things) coat his insides until it was so built up he couldn't eat at all until he passed it.  Then he would have these three or four day long episodes of vomiting (I would give him sub q, and heaven help me large doses of laxatone), until he finally would start pooping out the fur.  And that is ALL it would be, when it came out, just all this red fur.  Then he would be fine until the next episode.

Baby, fed a wet diet all his life, never had any dental problems, that I know of.  Sissy did, and she was fed a dry diet until she came to live with me at five years old.  Bibbs had a bit of a scarf and barf (wet diet) habit, and she did need a dental when she was 13 (I don't know if she had FORL or not, the vet never mentioned it but she was not a good vet).  Ootay hardly ever vomited until she became CKD, she didn't have a dental until she was 17. She did not have FORL.

Thing is, chronic puking, whether it's regurgitation or empty tummy, or hairballs, is rough on the teeth.  The acid eats away at the enamel, and I suspect now, under the gum at the root.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Correlation between frequent vomiting and FORL?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:11:01 PM »
It's certainly possible, and it probably doesn't help.  I guess my rhetorical question is, are the resorptive lesions and horking both symptoms of something else, rather than one being the cause of the other?  I would agree the vomiting, etc. can exacerbate the dental problems, I just can't help but wonder if the dental problems are also a result of something else, like nutritional deficiencies (resulting from the dry diet or absorption issues like Tolly's fur lining everything).  Just speculating.  I'm certainly no expert.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:12:37 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Correlation between frequent vomiting and FORL?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »
Lola is our only cat that has never been fed kibble.  She has never been one to barf, spit, regurgitate, etc.  I am 99.9% she has never brought up anything. 
She had several resorptions her first dental.  None this last one.  EDIT  I wasn't told that she had any resorption issues. /EDIT  Between the two dentals, she was fed primarily raw.   

Lucy's mouth was a hell hole.  It will be interesting to see what the results are for her, with her next dental.  She is older than Lola and was fed kibble for several years.   Also she never barfed or spit up again, once the dry was removed.  She shares the same raw fed timeline. 

I definitely agree that bringing up ANYTHING does horrific things to the teeth (among other things).  But I also have to wonder if they only way to have better odds of good teeth... is though being fed raw. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:46:33 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: