Author Topic: New Litter "Box"  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
New Litter "Box"
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:55:42 PM »
I seem to always be buying litter boxes.   However, I recently bought two of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-28-Qt-Latch-Box-16551010/100671079?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-100671089-_-100671079-_-N

23 inches long and a little over 6 inches high.  I was a bit worried about the low height, but everything is going well.  (knock on wood) 

When I first starting leaving the covers off the boxes, I did a LOT of cleaning...walls, floors, etc.  Apparently over time, my two side-shooters have learned to squat.  I just assumed once a side shooter, always a side shooter.   I was wrong.

Anyway... I love these litter pans!  They are SO easy to clean! 

I was watching Jackson Galaxy the other day.  He mentioned cats that potty in the middle of a box are comfortable with their box and/or litter.  All "deposits" are in the middle of these new boxes. No clumps in corners to "dig" out.  No urine on the sides.  Interesting...

Another benefit... 6 bucks for this litter box, compared to 25-30 bucks! 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:58:35 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: New Litter "Box"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »
Oh that's great Lola!  I've always wanted to try big long spacious boxes like that for the girls.  I'm not sure I ahve the room though.  How wide are they?

Of course I also use the formed paper liners, and they don't come in that size either. 
I am so happy it is working for you!

I'm about to post a thread on my solution to the pee-shooters.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »
23 inches long.  16 inches wide.  I was a bit worried about the 6" height...or lack of height.  lol  My Jenkins and Lucy are often "side drillers."  A term I got from you.  :)  It wasn't uncommon for them to hit the box cover latches and have tinkle run down to the outside of the box.  Or shoot over the side of the boxes that had the covers removed.  Even though the boxes are tall.
I bought every kind of ex-large or jumbo size box imaginable. 
For some reason, the new "box" has inspired them to squat... even in the regular litter boxes.  All my actual litter boxes are pretty wide and tall, but aren't 23 inches long.  I think the long open space (and being able to see everything going on around them) of the Sterilite box was the ticket to their happiness...and mine.  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:01:29 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 12:24:36 PM »
I love cats, but sometimes I'm so glad I don't have cats. Reading about litter box issues is definitely up top.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »
I love cats, but sometimes I'm so glad I don't have cats. Reading about litter box issues is definitely up top.

Assuming a cat isn't ill, most litter box issues are human error.

In a perfect world, I would have long, wide, and open litter boxes placed in the middle of a room!  Boxes big enough to give the cat enough space.  Out in the open, so they can see everything that is going on around them. 

Oh and scented litter would be out-lawed. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:34:40 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 12:59:22 PM »
Assuming a cat isn't ill, most litter box issues are human error.

In a perfect world, I would have long, wide, and open litter boxes placed in the middle of a room!  Boxes big enough to give the cat enough space.  Out in the open, so they can see everything that is going on around them. 

Oh and scented litter would be out-lawed. 

Me too.  All of the above.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
I have mentioned that we have two covered litter boxes.  There are 5 that are not covered.  I totally believe boxes should not be covered.  With that said... this used to be our pantry.  It is right off the kitchen area.  The laundry room-ish. 
Hubby cut the doors, and sealed the pantry part off from the litter box area.  We don't keep food in there though.  Boxes are too close for comfort, no matter how tight the seal is.  :) 

Anyway.... the reason I keep these boxes as covered boxes is, because when I put in the boxes (pictured in my first post), the cats pee all over the walls and floor! I've tried it twice.  The second time, with boxes that have covers, but took covers off... instead of using the Sterilite containers.  Same thing... pee alllllllll over. 

If I had to GUESS, because the area is contained... they assume the entire area is a bathroom.   :-\

I would remove the boxes entirely, but I prefer the cats have boxes available... from one end of the house to the other. 

I just KNOW you all wanted to know why, after all I have learned, I still have some covered boxes!   Silly7

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 04:14:13 AM »
I have mentioned that we have two covered litter boxes.  There are 5 that are not covered.  I totally believe boxes should not be covered.  With that said... this used to be our pantry.  It is right off the kitchen area.  The laundry room-ish. 
Hubby cut the doors, and sealed the pantry part off from the litter box area.  We don't keep food in there though.  Boxes are too close for comfort, no matter how tight the seal is.  :) 

Anyway.... the reason I keep these boxes as covered boxes is, because when I put in the boxes (pictured in my first post), the cats pee all over the walls and floor! I've tried it twice.  The second time, with boxes that have covers, but took covers off... instead of using the Sterilite containers.  Same thing... pee alllllllll over. 

If I had to GUESS, because the area is contained... they assume the entire area is a bathroom.   :-\

I would remove the boxes entirely, but I prefer the cats have boxes available... from one end of the house to the other. 

I just KNOW you all wanted to know why, after all I have learned, I still have some covered boxes!   Silly7

I have to use covered boxes, too, on the screened porch, for reasons that should be pretty obvious.  I don't like them, but they are a lot better than having to dump a boxful of drenched litter every time it rains.

In the house, I use those tall storage bins (about the dimensions of a laundry basket), to keep Bandit out of the "snack bar."  The cats can easily jump in, but he can't.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »
I had covered boxes for my furkids.  That was before I learned that they're not ideal, but by that point I'd had them for years already and the cats never had a problem with it.  Pookie, clever kitty that he was, would go in, dig in the litter, then turn around and do his thing with his face in the opening so he wasn't really breathing inside the box.  Then he would cover up and jump out.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
I had covered boxes for my furkids.  That was before I learned that they're not ideal, but by that point I'd had them for years already and the cats never had a problem with it.  Pookie, clever kitty that he was, would go in, dig in the litter, then turn around and do his thing with his face in the opening so he wasn't really breathing inside the box.  Then he would cover up and jump out.

Mine all do this.  It's cute, seeing their little heads poking out.   :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 01:45:07 AM »
Some of ours poke their heads out, some don't.  Gotta tell ya... the ones that don't face forward.... make me nervous, with their hind ends so close to an opening.  So far, so good.  Knock on wood.  lol 

Tags: