Author Topic: Lacy's Nails  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Lacy's Nails
« on: November 20, 2015, 08:38:27 AM »
The only time we ever had to have our dogs' nails trimmed were when they became very elderly and pretty much inactive.  Even then, it was only every few months. 
Lacy is considered elderly for a large dog...11 years.  Although she is not elderly in spirit or physically.  Yet, her nails have been growing like weeds!   

I kept thinking they were growing so fast due to the decrease in activity during the hot summer months.  But ...we have had very nice weather for a while now, and her nails continue growing like crazy!  What the heck is going on?

I'm going to have to watch a YouTube video of nail trimming (a few bazillion times), so I can get non-squeamish about doing it myself.  It is getting very costly paying someone.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Lacy's Nails
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:18:14 AM »
When you start raw-feeding, unless they're walking on concrete and/or blacktop constantly, they'll grow.

If you want to keep it easier, just Dremel them about every 5 days: http://www.doberdawn.com/doberdawn/dremel.html

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:28:19 AM »
When you start raw-feeding, unless they're walking on concrete and/or blacktop constantly, they'll grow.

I was going to say the same thing:  you're feeding the REALLY GOOD stuff now!  Her body's getting more nutrients, and that's being reflected in her nails (as well as energy, coat, etc.)   thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 02:08:40 PM »
 Doh1 

You are right!  Her nails started growing like weeds when she started an entirely raw diet.  I didn't think to make the connection, because it sometimes slips my mind  Silly7 that the cats and her didn't go on an all raw diet at the same time.  There was a reason Lacy was fed canned longer.  Probably not a good reason, but... 

I'll check out the dremel.  Thanks!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 06:24:31 PM »
I got Lacy's nails trimmed at the new vet's office for 15 bucks!   dogstir1

I paid $28 at previous vet's place.  PetCo was $15 plus tip, but that wasn't going so well. 

PetsMart is tooooo busy.  Too many animals in one room.  Lacy stresses out to the max, when put into a room with other animals. 

As lame as it sounds, I just couldn't do them myself.  I don't like the crunchy noise when they are clipped.  A dremmel-type tool... not my cup of tea either. 

At the new vet's office, we just have to get in the door and into a private room.  It is worth every penny.  For her sanity and mine.  :)

I know...I am a french fry short of being a Happy Meal!   Silly7
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:28:54 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 06:33:08 PM »
I don't think you are lame at all!  Everyone I know with dogs takes them to the vet to have their nails trimmed, and NONE of them stay while it is being done.  I never questioned it.  I know how hard dog's nails are, like horn. Even though it doesn't hurt the dog, I am sure most dogs hate it. And perhaps they are better behaved without the fretting human hovering and wincing.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:12:26 PM »
I had to learn how to trim Pookie and Bonnie's nails.  What was weird is that I accidentally clipped hers a little too short once, and never did that to him, but he always acted like he was the one that had a nail clipped too short.   :-\  I just always made sure the treat bag was close by so he knew there would be a reward when it was over, and I only did the front nails.  It was better for both of us that way.   :-[

Mom's dog, on the other hand, went to a mobile groomer.  I KNOW he didn't like the bath, but I doubt he enjoyed the nail trim, either.

And perhaps they are better behaved without the fretting human hovering and wincing.

I think they are very sensitive to us, and react based on how we're handling a situation.  Since I've been staying over at Mom's more lately, I've gotten to see some episodes of Jackson Galaxy, and a couple of times he's asked the owner to get the cat checked by the vet.  Of course, Owner thinks "Hellcat" will go ballistic and therefore, "Hellcat" does because s/he is sensing Owner's paranoia.  Big surprise!  So that just really makes me think if Owner would just chill, the cat would handle the situation better.  Which makes me think, maybe when I have a pet again, I'll take a Rescue Remedy before going to the vet, so New Kitty won't be picking up "Mommy is nervous" vibes . . .

I'm glad you found a way that works for you, Lacy, and your budget!   :)  thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »
I don't think you are lame at all!  Everyone I know with dogs takes them to the vet to have their nails trimmed, and NONE of them stay while it is being done.  I never questioned it.  I know how hard dog's nails are, like horn. Even though it doesn't hurt the dog, I am sure most dogs hate it. And perhaps they are better behaved without the fretting human hovering and wincing.

I had no idea it was normal to go to a vet for a nail trim.  Lacy rarely had to have her nails trimmed when she had another dog buddy to run around with on a daily basis... and before being fed all raw.  The walks (I don't run, therefore she doesn't run :) ) and car rides don't do much to keep them filed down.  She needs them trimmed every 6 weeks now.  So, I REALLY needed to come up with a plan that worked for both of us.  :)

Lacy loves people...friends, vets, children, strangers, mailman, etc.  :) She doesn't mind having her nails trimmed at all.  Her issue is being in a room with other strange dogs. PetCo and PetsMart do all their grooming in big open rooms... full of other dogs.  If I had to pull a guess out of my ear, it is due to Sparky attacking her.  I really hate saying that, but that is when things changed. 

I don't have a problem with her nails being trimmed, as long as someone else is doing it.  lol 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:05:07 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 09:12:24 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to use Petco or Petsmart either. Such a high stress environment. Maybe some dogs don't mind that kind of thing.

But even more, I would question their qualifications.  I don't have a high opinion of either company. Oh what a cynic am I.

Come to think of it my sister always used to talk about how guilty she felt taking Nala to the vet and leaving her, when it was time for a nail trim. I told her the same thing I said to you, it sounds normal to me. :) Nala got many walks, but it was usually in the woods not pavement, so her nails did not get worn down.

Our childhood dog on the other hand was always walking on pavement because we girls would take her with us everywhere as we roamed around the small town we grew up in.  Cinder never needed nail trims. At least, not that I remember anyway, though I do know childhood memory can be faulty.

Well the Sparky incident was traumatic for all of you.  And bound to have an effect. ((hug)))

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »
I've never had a dog that didn't start out as a puppy (even the American Foxhound rescue that our oldest brought home was a puppy) and I've never had problems with them b/c I trained them to let me trim their nails.

I think it's more common now to take dogs to groomers or vets to have nails done b/c a huge majority of dogs are rescues that have already passed puppyhood. From what I've seen, rescues were often not taken care of properly, and that includes nails. It's just my opinion, but if they're not trained from when they're young, they're going to fight it.

I also find it useful to teach them "paw paw," so that they'll allow their paws to be touched by the vet without fighting. Dogs that haven't been taught just don't seem to like their paws touched, and it's often necessary when that's one of the first places they'll get injuries. Most good trainers now teach dogs to "stand" for inspection and include touching their paws. I know the trainers we've used in the past 16 years since Dannyboy and Sharkly have done it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Lacy's Nails
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 12:48:51 PM »
I take Lacy to our vet's office every 6 weeks to have her nails trimmed.  Since the situation with Sparky, she is VERY fearful of other dogs.  She cries and shakes.  I have given her K-10 Calming the last two times, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Neither does Rescue Remedy.  My hope is the more she goes, the more she will get used to the idea. 

Am I a crab?  People that think my dog wants to meet their dog, while in the waiting room, make me CRAZY!  Even if my dog loved other dogs... I don't want my dog to meet yours.  We are at a vet's office.  I don't know what you are there for and you don't know why I am there. 

The time before, I waited outside with Lacy.  Yesterday there were no dogs in the waiting room when we arrived, so I took her inside.  I think the smells upset her, and then having a strange dog want to meet her.... sends her over the edge. 

I always tell the vet and vet techs that Lacy is afraid of other dogs.  She is nervous and antsy.  If they tell her to "sit nice," she will.  She always does.  For me and for others.

Anyway, the vet tech took her to a room.  I made Lacy's next appointment, while waiting for Lacy to return.

When the vet tech came out with Lacy, she handed the receptionist the paperwork.  The receptionist (Julie) looked at the vet tech and said, "Really?"  The vet tech replied, "It took 3 of us to trim Lacy's nails. She wasn't cooperative."
Instead of the bill being 15 bucks, it was 25. 
I assumed I was paying for a service, not how many people provided the service.  I use the term "service" loosely, at this point.

Julie was visibly pizzed.  She told me that she would talk to the vet and get the charge changed.  The vet was not there.  She was at a funeral.

I didn't say much at the time, because what I was thinking was best left not coming out of my mouth.

Julie called me later to apologize for the vet tech's behavior and the fee.  She said she would find out who all was involved and talk to the vet about the tech's behavior and the 25 dollar charge, when the vet returned to work.
I told her that I didn't have a problem paying the 25 bucks, if the price had gone up from 15 to 25.  I had a problem with being financially punished, and with the vet tech insulting my dog.

I thanked Julie for calling.  She is supposed to call me Thursday next week and give me the scoop. 

Ya know... I was pretty upset.  I felt so badly for Lacy.  I was just sick thinking of what they probably said to her and/or how they treated her.  I realize Lacy can be antsy or whatever, but I also know that she WILL sit when asked to.  They didn't say that they were afraid of her, and I PROMISE you no person has to fear her.  I realize a nervous dog is often a dangerous dog, but I would ASSuME a vet tech can read dog "signals."   

Lacy got an extended car ride and treats later... hoping to make up for the carpy experience. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
Julie sounds terrific. You are correct, the charge is for the service (or should be) not how many it takes, because of incompetency on their part. And I share your concern with how she was treated besides.
Keep us posted!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »
I don't blame you for being upset. It's the reason I HATE people trying to remove my dogs to examine them. Our regular vet doesn't normally do that unless we're leaving them for something like Vlad having to have those tests last year--It's actually almost been a year since his actual diagnosis date--June 22.

In April though, he removed Barkly from the room to get his blood. They've had problems getting blood from him before for his heartworm test, and I expressed concern that he whined at being stuck more than once last time. I thought it needed to be done in his neck (even if he had to shave a spot) if they were going to have to get very much blood. I reminded him that it wasn't a good idea to "hurt" Barkly in front of Vlad even with me holding Vlad because Vlad almost shoved the tech away from the table when Barkly whined last time. He took Barkly out of the room to get blood. That being said, I can count on one hand the times these 2 have been taken away from us for things--Barkly this last time, Vlad 2x at the emergency hospital, and Vlad when he stayed that day for testing.

If I couldn't trim nails, they would NOT be removed from me just for that. Do you see the point I'm trying to make? Certain situations call for them being taken away--others do NOT. You don't know what they did back there that "took three." If the dog doesn't have that kind of history, then something's wacky. I know MY dogs act calmer around me than others anyway.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »
If good vets weren't so scarce in my area, and Julie wasn't Julie... I'd never darken their door again. 
Lacy had a very bad experience in life.  She apparently will never forget.  She is a TOTAL sweet heart.  She has never met a human stranger.  She treats all the cats with kid gloves.  She deserved better yesterday. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »
At this place, it is the norm to take the dog to the back (for nails anyway) without the human.  I don't usually "make waves," because I don't want them pizzed at me and take it out on my pet later.  AND...every other time, the vet techs always said that Lacy was a good dog, yadda, yadda, yadda. 

I did request (for her next nail trim... if I go through with that appt) a particular vet tech. 

Tags: