Author Topic: Am I going to have to give up drinking milk?  (Read 6525 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Am I going to have to give up drinking milk?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »

Edit:  I just thought of something:  sarcasmalert if pasteurization is so wonderful, why don't doctors tell nursing mothers to get their breastmilk pasteurized before giving it to their babies? 

LOL, I guess because, hopefully, those mothers don't have tuberculosis? That's why the law says milk for sale has to be pasteurized. To kill the risk of tuberculosis that people can get from raw milk. The way everyone gets around it is that they buy shares of the cows or goats from some farms, and then they own the milk and can keep it raw.

Homogenization  isn't something by law though, and before I had to quit drinking milk, the dairy we used didn't homogenize it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »
LOL, I guess because, hopefully, those mothers don't have tuberculosis? That's why the law says milk for sale has to be pasteurized. To kill the risk of tuberculosis that people can get from raw milk.

Sorry, I still think it's a bit absurd.  Just my opinion.  As one of my favorite musicians once wrote/sang:  "Never saw no miracle of science that didn't go from a blessing to a curse."    :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 05:31:30 AM »
Thanks for the info.  It's not very likely that I'll be looking for fresh raw milk. That's way too much work.  funny2 The little energy I have goes to the cats.

I drink the milk for the protein and calcium, and because I like it. This organic brand implies on the container that "ultra pasteurized" is a good thing. That's just more typical FDA lies.

So I am not falling for the bull, but I still want my non fat milk every day.  IN cardboard, not plastic.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
I don't know if any of these would work, but just in case:  http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/new-york/

Organic Valley sells 1/2 gallon cartons of milk which, while pasteurized, is from pasture-fed cows.  They do have low-fat versions (fat is actually good for you, the brain and nerve endings are made up of fat).  It's available at Shop-Rite.  https://www.organicvalley.coop/products/milk/.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »
Thanks Pookie. I get plenty of fat in my diet I don't need it with my milk.

My point is, I am not going driving around to buy milk.  I would have gone to buying at Stewarts, if I didn't mind a minor inconvenience.  I don't want any inconvenience when feeding myself.  I am too tired to care. I want to be able to get my milk when I get the rest of my groceries. What matters to me is that it comes in the cardboard containers and has a fresh date and tastes good.  That is all. :)

When I retire, I will try harder to buy fresh local milk. While I have to work I am perpetually sleep deprived and just can't be bothered about it.

Sorry to sound so whiny.  But I am just tired.  All the time.  There is no way to get enough sleep, and keep Mazy cat fed. I need easy, for myself.

Tags: