Author Topic: Digestive Enzymes, Good or Bad?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
Digestive Enzymes, Good or Bad?
« on: September 01, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »
I've been buying kibble for more than 6 years and my vet recommended switching to a raw diet because of some issues we've been having. She recommended Darwin's or Primal. I tried a sample of Darwin and my dog just wouldn't have it. Then I tried the primal food and my dog went crazy over it. But, since we switched shes been licking her lips a lot. I noticed her kibble before had digestive enzymes, is it possible that my dog has gotten use to the enzymes helping break down food and now cannot do it herself?

I will ask my vet soon if I should supplement the raw food with the digestive enzymes, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this before. I don't want to switch back to kibble because the raw has really helped with her skin...so I just want to make it work and keep her on raw.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Digestive Enzymes, Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 04:30:32 PM »
I've been buying kibble for more than 6 years and my vet recommended switching to a raw diet because of some issues we've been having. She recommended Darwin's or Primal. I tried a sample of Darwin and my dog just wouldn't have it. Then I tried the primal food and my dog went crazy over it. But, since we switched shes been licking her lips a lot. I noticed her kibble before had digestive enzymes, is it possible that my dog has gotten use to the enzymes helping break down food and now cannot do it herself?

I will ask my vet soon if I should supplement the raw food with the digestive enzymes, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this before. I don't want to switch back to kibble because the raw has really helped with her skin...so I just want to make it work and keep her on raw.

First, welcome to our forum!  :)

I can't say if I've seen it before since I never got Pookie switched to all raw.  Anything is possible, including your dog's body not producing enzymes anymore because they were in the food.  What I can say is that I don't think it would cause any harm to add enzymes to your dog's food, and it may help.

That said, lip smacking, IMO is a sign of indigestion or nausea, and what I'm suspecting is that your dog may not be producing enough stomach acid to break down the meat protein.  Enzymes break down carbs, acid breaks down meat, and it's possible that the kibble "trained" your dog's stomach to not produce (as much) stomach acid.  Now that she's getting meat, if her stomach isn't producing enough acid, it might be causing some indigestion.  So what you could do, in addition to the enzymes, is also add a little apple cider vinegar to her diet.  I'm not quite sure how you would do that with raw (in canned you could just mix it in), but if you're also feeding a puree of veggies with the meat, you could add the ACV to that.  Or maybe to her drinking water.  Not tons, but some.  If she doesn't need it, she'll let you know.

I'm sure the others here will also have some thoughts on what might be going on, and suggestions.  I hope this helps!

Edit:  We have a section called "Apple Cider Vinegar for Pets Too" -- here's a link to one of the topics in it:

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=2925.msg19991#msg19991
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:38:46 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »
HI Becky Po and Welcome welcome! Wow are you lucky to have a vet who recommends raw!  bananamiddlechild.

I know more about feline nutrition than canine but there are some things that are similar, and like Pookie has said, years on a kibble diet will have destroyed the digestive enzymes and acidity your dog needs to properly digest raw meat.

Don't despair though because healing can and does happen.  However I do think your dog should be on a good digestive enzyme and also probiotics.

Did you do a sudden switch or slow transition?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »
I don't think Primal raw is the devil, but... montmorillointe clay is one ingredient I personally avoid.  Or try to.   ;D  If my choice (for whatever reason) was Primal every day or kibble... I'd feed Primal. 

Beef ingredients:

Beef Hearts, Beef Livers, Ground Beef Bones, Organic Kale, Organic Carrots, Organic Squash, Organic Broccoli, Organic Apples, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Organic Parsley, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Salmon Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Dried Organic Kelp, Alfalfa, Vitamin E Supplement.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:46:10 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 04:32:06 PM »
I'd start with the ACV. Vlad's the size of a small human (105#), so he gets 1 tbs per meal. You have to work up to that though. Start out with 1/2 tsp per meal and raise the amount every 3-4 days. If he were up to 120#, I'd be giving him 2 tbs. Once up to maintenance amount, leave there for 2 weeks before doing anything else.

Primal has it in already, but it's so far down the list that I don't consider it having it, if you get my meaning?

2nd--find some good probiotics, or give a couple of tbs of Kefir every meal. Give a couple of weeks to let that set in.

3rd--start giving some digestive enzymes.

The reason I'm saying to give each step time to set in is because then it will be easier to tell which part of the digestion process was missing--acid, gut flora, or pancreatic enzymes. Then your vet will know better what to closer look at as far as health issues.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
Agree with the ACV.  Has to be raw though, unprocessed, unpasteurized.  Bragg is the brand I use.

Good advice regarding doing only one thing at a time too.  thumbsup1 DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 08:44:47 PM »
Agree with the ACV.  Has to be raw though, unprocessed, unpasteurized.  Bragg is the brand I use.

Good advice regarding doing only one thing at a time too.  thumbsup1 DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Thanks for the clarification, MC.  I meant to mention Bragg.   :-[  And ditto to Dee's advice about one thing at a time.  Great advice!

Here's a little more information on stomach acid and how it helps in the digestive process.  Full disclosure - this is from my website  ;D:

http://www.kittyshark.net/#!absorption-issues/wi3b0
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:58:27 PM »
wow, thank you all for the advice!

It seems like the problem is self-correcting. I'm going to give it another day or two, if the problem doesn't completely go away I'll add the ACV  :)

Tags: