Author Topic: Look what I found today!  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Look what I found today!
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »
New line in my grocery store.It's only chicken, I got thighs and breasts.  These will be for Mazy cat only. But..I still have no organ meat for her. They won't be a main source, just something more to give her.  I need organic Cornish hen and duck, but not already ground up, because I need to cut the meat off the bone for Mazy, will add my own calcium (she is fine with the Alnutrin calcium)

I just checked, even the Alnutin supplements require organ to be added to the recipe.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Look what I found today!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 09:23:24 PM »
AWESOME!  Nice find!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
And look how it turned out!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:04:12 AM »
I also bought, for MYSELF the same brand whole roasting chicken.  A little note on the package said "may have limited giblets", so I anticipated being disappointed in that, but I was amazingly pleasantly surprised. 

First of all there was enough LIVER, certified organic NON-GMO chicken liver, for twenty one 1.1 ounce muscle meat servings! (with the liver being .11 oz per meal) Almost perfect for the breast and thigh I bought!

With her freeze dried pork pancreas that she has no trouble with..she's all set for organs, at least for this trial.

Since I will be starting very slow, only half meals at first (.55 muscle with.05 liver) this batch will last a good long time, time enough to keep looking for other sources.  I remember Mazy cat used to be able to eat small chunks, until she could just no longer handle the regular meats from the grocery store.  Those chickens and turkeys eat GMO corn, and Mazy cat just cannot tolerate it.

I won't be starting the half chunk meal trials until next Sunday.

Oh, I almost forgot!  There was also a neck for Jennie (YAY!) and a beautiful looking heart and gizzard. I saved them all for my girls.  No giblet gravy for me, boo hooo!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »
Do all yours often get some kind of raw that requires them to "chew?" 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
Only Jennie and Queen Eva.  Mazy cat used to but it was clear after only a short time of feeding chunks that she couldn't' tolerate the meat because it was GMO fed.

Jennie and Queen Eva get chunks every other night and always on Sunday.  Jennie gets a wing (either middle or wing tip) or  chicken neck (if I have one) on Sunday.  I've been trying to get Queen Eva to eat larger chunks, but she still won't, or can't, eat anything larger than a nickel, maybe. Thicker than a nickle but not bigger around than.

On PMR nights Queen Eva's is cut as described and fed all at once, while Jennie gets her liver with supplements (probiotic, pancreas, calcium and taurine) sprinkled over it first, then her whole 1.1 ounce chunk of muscle meat, what ever it may be that night.  Sometimes it's still a little frozen  Jennie is 11 years old and her teeth are shining white with not a speck of tartar or stain on them.  And yet, my vet shudders when I tell her about Jennie eating wings and necks.

Queen Eva (5 1/2 +) has some stain, but no tartar.  Mazy cat had her first dental last fall you may remember, and already has some stain again.  That's from the canned food I guess. They all still eat it, and I imagine the small chunks Queen Eva eats are helping a little, but I wish I could get her to eat bone. But...for now I'll work on larger chunks.

Actually I have been meaning to start a thread about it, and still plan to, since I took pictures special for it. :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »
By the way.  It wasn't just the organs that were superior. That roast chicken was the best chicken I have ever tasted.  Even I couldn't ruin it and I over cook chicken until I'm sure it's dead.  Still it was as tender and moist as if I hadn't over cooked it by about 45 minutes.

And even still juicy, there was a ton of drippings for gravy. I'll never go back.  For me and Mazy cat.  I'm not sure I can afford to feed Queen Eva and Jennie this way very often, but maybe sometimes.

If only I could find organic certified no GMO Cornish hen.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »
Mazy cat just had her first pieces of the Coleman organic chicken.  I had cut up the breast and there were some tiny pieces left so I gave them to her to see how she would do.  There was .16 ounce  in two pieces.  She made an effort but couldn't quite manage them so I cut the bigger piece up and she ate all three pieces and is looking for more. Each piece was about the size of a ...pea, I guess.

I got 17 1.1 ounce meals of the breast.  Some pieces are a bit larger up to 1.15.  Tomorrow I wil cut up the thigh, I should get about 20 meals there.  I only have enough liver for 21 meals, I'll have to buy and roast another chicken in a couple of weeks.  THAT won't be a problem I've already eaten most of the left over meat, it's so delicious.  I never knew chicken could taste so good. (even over cooked!)

Oh, I also have the gizzard and heart to give her, in tiny pieces.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »
 thumbsup1  fingerscrossed That her tummy likes it as much as she does!  fingerscrossed

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 03:24:48 AM »
Any updates?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 07:20:01 PM »
I have to go very slow with Mazy cat.  The second time she had the breast I gave it to her too fast (too many pieces, too big) and they came back up.  Next time I cut them in tiny pieces and spaced it better.  Tonight she had the thigh for the first time.  Half ounce total, tinyTINY pieces, spread out over an hour.

She loves this chicken. She inhales it and I think she even likes chewing the pieces but I don't know if she will ever be able to handle chunks without bringing them back up, sadly.

I thought I had posted here about how much I love this brand for myself too, but I don't see the post.  The difference is phenomenal.  I will l never go back to regular roasters, for myself.  In fact I plan to get another one for next Sunday, then I can add to my store of liver, gizzards and heart for Mazy cat.  Jennie will get the necks of course.

The ultimate plan will be for Mazy cat to have prey model meals the same nights that Jennie and Queen Eva do (every other night).  On the other night Jennie and Queen Eva have Stella &Chewy's and Mazy will continue to have her Rad cat on those nights.

But this will cut down a bit on the Rad Cat I go through, making it a little easier on me, anyway.

I'm going to cut up the RC  venison this weekend.  I am hoping Mazy will be able to eat it, but I don't hold out a lot of hope.  She's not been able to handle any of the red meat (lamb or beef) I have tried for her so far.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
What do you think the reason is that Mazy tends to bring back up chunks? 

I'm going to hold out hope... Mazy will do well with the Vension.  ;) 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
Crossing paws for Mazy!!!  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
What do you think the reason is that Mazy tends to bring back up chunks? 

I'm going to hold out hope... Mazy will do well with the Vension.  ;) 

Because she swallows them whole.  She does put her teeth through a chunk once or twice, but then she swallows.  I am only guessing.  Who knows what causes Mazy cat to regurgitate?  No firm reason or pattern has been found, its all conjecture.

Crossing paws for Mazy!!!  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Thanks to you both.  The venison did not get cut up today.  There is just no room for it.

Pic #1, my so-called freezer (more like an icebox).  The foil in front covers the 24 oz Rad Cat venison.  Pic #2, their freezer.  No Room.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
Because she swallows them whole.  She does put her teeth through a chunk once or twice, but then she swallows.  I am only guessing.  Who knows what causes Mazy cat to regurgitate?  No firm reason or pattern has been found, its all conjecture.

Swallowing whole chunks did cross my mind... after I posted and asked. 
I have some "chewers" and some swallowers.  I used to feed gizzards as a snack to help with their teeth, but it made me nervous to see a large chunk get swallowed whole.  Cutting the gizzards into smaller pieces pretty much defeated the purpose.  I stopped.  I then read that if a cat hasn't been given large chunks for a while, they have to re-build their jaw strength.  I think I read that at LittleBigCat, but not positive.  I know it was one of my favorite cat websites. 

Your refrigerator/freezer is definitely full!!! 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 05:07:29 AM »
Mazy cat had her first FULL prey model meal with the Coleman's organic chicken last night. 1.09 oz chicken breast and .1 oz liver, served in three portions (1.19 oz total).  The first meal (.43) had calcium and taurine in it.  She ate it quickly, in fact I had hardly turned my back and it was gone.  The second serving, 10 minutes later was .4 oz and had her S. boulardii and pork pancreas in it.  Again, it was scarfed.  Because she ate those two meals so fast I decided to wait a bit for the last meal, .36 ounces.  So 40 minutes later I gave her the last bit, which had no supplements in at all.

I cut them in fingernail slivers. Still, that third meal, she was eating so fast I had to slow her down a bit, much to her annoyance. It all stayed down. bananamiddlechild.  Can't wait for the cornish hens to get here!  If I had a freezer, I would have ordered 6!

Tags: