Author Topic: Halo  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Halo
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
Want to know the reason Ellen Degeneres became part owner of Halo Pets?  Hey, I JUST post the info...   ;D

Dear Fellow Pet Lovers:

Ever since I can remember I've loved animals. All kinds. Dogs, cats, birds – catbirds. All of 'em. When I was little all I wanted to be was a vetranar…a veteranari…it's hard to spell...I wanted to be a vet. I thought that would be the best job in the world: helping and being with animals all the time. Well, it turns out I became a comedian and a talk show host instead – but animals are still my passion…oh and also a nice, thin crust, cheese pizza.

One of the things I really believe is that if you're going to have pets you should treat them like you'd treat yourself. I don't mean you should treat them to new shoes or a fancy car – I'm talking about the basics; a nice bed, fun toys and good food.

Anyway a few years ago I was looking for some pet food for one of my dogs who was allergic to everything…honestly, even his own fur. I tried everything, our vet tried everything and finally I found a little company that had the perfect food for him. It's called Halo, Purely for Pets.

So, because I think Halo is incredible, I decided to become part owner in hopes that all animals have the chance to be the healthiest they can be. And I'm anxious to spread the word so that everybody knows about Halo.

Besides making what I consider to be the best pet care products in the world, we also want to inform everybody on how to take great care of our pets. So try us out. Write us and let us know how your pet is doing. Are they dating? Do they have a newspaper route? Let us know. And help us get people thinking about what they're feeding their pets. Maybe you can casually mention Halo to a few people. Nothing obvious. Work it into a conversation. Like say, "Halo" to people (instead of Hello) and then subliminally they'll try "Spot's Stew".

Well, I have to go clean out the cat box. Thanks for your support and giving your pet the love and care they deserve.

Love,

http://www.halopets.com/about/ellen-degeneres.html
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Halo
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
Dear Ellen,

I will tell everybody within earshot about your wonderful food the day you get Elizabeth Hodgkins on your show explaining how cats chew and break down the kibble.
In other words, STUFF IT! 

Sincerely,
Someone Who Would Never Ever Watch The Network Your Show Airs On.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:28:56 PM »
I KNEW that was coming!   :-*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »
I have tried the wet dog food.  Not the wet cat food.  Obviously, I will NEVER try the dry cat.  

Here's the ingredients list (and more) concerning the wet chicken food for cats:

Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, Zucchini, Green Peas, Yellow Squash, Green Beans, Celery, Turkey, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Guar Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate,  Sodium Ascorbate, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Flaxseed Oil, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Choline Chloride, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Garlic Powder, Beta Carotene.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein - 6% min.
Crude Fat - 4% min.
Crude Fiber - 1.5% max.
Moisture - 84.0% max.

Calorie Count (ME Calculated):
871 kcal/kg
74 kcal/can 3 oz (85g)
136 kcal/can 5.5 oz (156g)

SPOT'S STEW is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages.

Feeding Instructions:
Adult: Feed about 1 ounce per pound of body weight fed per day split into two meals.
Kitten: Feed up to twice the adult amount to kittens.
Gestation & Lactation: Feed up to three times the normal adult amount.

http://shop.halopets.com/Canned-Cat-Food/Wholesome-Chicken-Recipe-3-oz_4
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:42:25 PM by Lola, Reason: Keep forgetting links! Grrr »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 04:47:22 PM »
Wonder what is with all the veggies!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »
Dear Ellen,

I will tell everybody within earshot about your wonderful food the day you get Elizabeth Hodgkins on your show explaining how cats chew and break down the kibble.
In other words, STUFF IT! 

Sincerely,
Someone Who Would Never Ever Watch The Network Your Show Airs On.

funny2 cryingfunny

I think you should tell her that (not the "stuff it" part, obviously).  Who knows, she just might call you on it!  Folks, what we have here is a PRIME opportunity to blitz Ellen about getting Dr. H on the show!  It couldn't hurt to try, could it?  (Or am I just being an optimist....)

I have to confess, though, that I have given Pookie the Halo canned cat food, and it's one of the few brands he'll actually eat.  Lola, I think the veggies are there for the vitamins (e.g. A, C, etc.).
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »
Pookie, I had written to (them) before.  I also submitted story suggestions via the various links on there, even trying to tell her about the Diabetic cats going into remission. When I first found out about them, I was submitting "tips" to everyone imaginable about that too. 

I really thought it was news and they'd be all over it!   fingerscrossed

Also re-submited in case they were overflowing the first times (like with michael moore.)   

Got a couple of automated responses from Oprah, so i was getting optimistic with her... 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »
I looked into Halo a while back, but the protein content is so low I would never consider it.

And I don't feed my cats garlic.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:55:22 PM »
IF anyone is interested...

Garlic is not "poisonous" but large amounts of it can cause damage to feline red blood cells. Usually the amounts contained in cat food (and MANY foods do contain it) as a flavoring are small enough to be safe.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Boulder, Colorado

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 05:55:05 AM »
Thanks Lola, I've read that before.  But I am still not going to feed my cats garlic.  Garlic IS toxic to cats, and how do we know it doesn't build up in the system?   How do we know for sure that even that tiny bit isn't doing damage somewhere, in the liver or kidneys or pancreas, since the cat's body is not meant to process garlic? 

There are already so many things that if we look too deeply, are undesirable in the foods we feed them, even the premium canned diets.Why take the risk when there is no need to?  Cats do not need their food with garlic added "for flavor".

But, even without the garlic, it's the low protein content of that Halo food that concerns me most. All those veggies that a cat doesn't digest or get any benefit from, garlic, low protein.   pangif on Halo cat foods. :)

Offline Pinball

• Yapper
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »
Also don't forget that unlike dogs and humans, cats cannot convert the beta-carotene into Vitamin A. That needs to come in preformed form from animal sources..... I guess, however, that the beta-carotene derived from vegetables could act as anti-oxidants.  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »
Thanks Lola, I've read that before.  But I am still not going to feed my cats garlic.  Garlic IS toxic to cats, and how do we know it doesn't build up in the system?   How do we know for sure that even that tiny bit isn't doing damage somewhere, in the liver or kidneys or pancreas, since the cat's body is not meant to process garlic? 

There are already so many things that if we look too deeply, are undesirable in the foods we feed them, even the premium canned diets.Why take the risk when there is no need to?  Cats do not need their food with garlic added "for flavor".

But, even without the garlic, it's the low protein content of that Halo food that concerns me most. All those veggies that a cat doesn't digest or get any benefit from, garlic, low protein.   pangif on Halo cat foods. :)

I hear ya.  I don't remember the last time our cats OR dogs asked me to season their food.  ::)

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 10:12:57 PM »
Not to go OT but if you'll notice, pretty much anything commercial with a "celebrity's" name attached to it these days is a red flag. We've seen it with housewares, too.  I am always telling my mom, when will you stop learning this the $$$ way?   (always buying the "Chefs'" pots & pans & other stuff that falls apart...)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 10:17:16 PM »
 offtopic1

I think (and I could be wrong) that SOME celebrities really do endorse products that they truly like.  So, I can understand if a person likes such and such celebrity..giving the product that they recommend a try.  I imagine more do so for the pay though.

Like Bill Cosby and Jello.   ;D

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »
offtopic1

Like Bill Cosby and Jello.   ;D

Notice I said "these days".    ;D  Things are soooo different since then. 

(And Jello's probably not even the same  :(  )