Author Topic: New Calculator I found. . .  (Read 1285 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
New Calculator I found. . .
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:56:14 AM »
I found out about this site a while back when I was trying to figure out which veggies were best for Vlad (lower potassium).

However, I've found info that tells how to use the site for figuring out percentages of bone in meats. Of course, I can't get it to work, so if someone figures out how, tell me please. . .:

To find info on other cuts of meat
1. Go to –> http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
2. Type in your meat  EX: chicken thigh raw –>
3. See the list, make selection, click- EX: first choice is “Chicken broilers or fryers, thigh, meat and skin, raw” Click on it –>
4. The new page that pulls up has all the info we’ve got on “Raw Chicken thighs w/meat & Skin”
5. ** Click on line “Full Report (All Nutrients)”, this gives you access to the amount of bone in the meat you’re looking at. In this example we see “Refuse: 15% Refuse Description: Bone and cartilage 15%” ** Average chicken thighs have about 15% bone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:01:01 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: New Calculator I found. . .
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »
Here's info from the page I found it at:

Bone percentages found using http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

CHICKEN
back- 44%
leg quarter- 27%
thigh- 15%
breast- 20%

whole-32%

DUCK
whole- 31%

PORK
brisket bone- 32%

TURKEY
neck- 60%
wing- 33%
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
New Info. . .Re: New Calculator I found. . .
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:31:40 PM »
Okay. We're just going to call this a major coincidence and leave it there.

Dogs Naturally just posted new bone amount info in an article of theirs:

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bone-food-values-for-raw-feeding-dogs/

Scroll down and you'll find this where everything has a drop-down of more meats than I had info for:

Bone Content In Raw Foods

When sourcing bones for your dog’s diet, it’s a good idea to know the approximate amount of bone in commonly sourced foods. Here is a quick guide to help you keep your dog’s bone content in the right range … between 10 and 25%.

The information is primarily from the US Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) National Nutrient Database.

Tags: