Author Topic: If you didn't see 60 Minutes on 4-17-16. . .  (Read 1804 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
If you didn't see 60 Minutes on 4-17-16. . .
« on: April 19, 2016, 12:59:44 AM »
If you didn't see 60 Minutes this Sunday, you need to watch these videos. They're important. Really Important to know.

Watch them in this order I've put them in:

1. http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/hacking-your-phone/

2. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-overtime-how-strangers-can-hack-the-phone-in-your-pocket/

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: If you didn't see 60 Minutes on 4-17-16. . .
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 05:03:32 AM »
I don't use a cell phone.  Can I skip them?  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 09:54:52 AM »
I don't use a cell phone.  Can I skip them?  :)

LOL. Yep
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 07:34:54 PM »
Here's an easy fix... For those that do. Turn off all wireless communications except base cellular so you can still receive calls. I don't need wifi, RFID, or data if the phone's just sitting in my pocket so I set my phone to shut them off automatically as soon as I lock the screen. Bluetooth I do use occasionally (especially in the rig as that's the only way I can send/receive calls legally  while driving) but if I'm not using it, that's also turned off. Some call me paranoid for my security, but you know... Better to be paranoid, than hacked ;)
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
Some call me paranoid for my security, but you know... Better to be paranoid, than hacked ;)

LOL. The first thing I did a month ago (after installing virus and malware apps from the same companies I use on my computer) when I had to get a new phone (thanks to AT&T deciding in their imminent wisdom that 2G was no longer needed and my flip-phone from 2004 was going to be useless) was sit down with youtube and learn how to cut everything on earth off except for phone calls and texts. Then I encrypted it and locked it.

I HAVE used Google Drive to move some of my music over to it so that Vlad has his Mozart with us no matter where we go (Used the phone for that yesterday while waiting in the exam room), but as soon as I had it on my phone, I deleted it from Drive. I've been doing the same thing with a lot of the photos I've taken with the phone too. Get it on my computer and delete it from Drive.

I really need to go get a data cable so I don't have to go through the cloud at all. The ones that charge it don't work for data exchange for some reason. Hubs found that out at work. He uses the bluetooth for his truck for the same reason as you when he's going to and from work, but as soon as he leaves the truck, bluetooth goes off.

The photo in this message http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=4292.msg31188#msg31188 was taken with my new phone.

So far though, except for the camera and playing music for Vlad, I've really found no use for it outside of calls and texts. And I could do those with my old flip-phone. I really just don't find the thing very interesting except for a couple of camera apps that make it act like a DSLR.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
The first thing I did a month ago (after installing virus and malware apps from the same companies I use on my computer) when I had to get a new phone (thanks to AT&T deciding in their imminent wisdom that 2G was no longer needed and my flip-phone from 2004 was going to be useless)

LOL, I had to do that, too!  I bought a cheap flip-phone at Walmart and had the guy at the AT&T store swap out the SIM cards.  I don't have data on my phone, just "pay as you go" voice, because the only reason I even have the thing is for emergencies like my car breaking down.  Maybe I'm ridiculously old fashioned, but there is nothing THAT important that can't wait until I have access to a landline, so I don't leave it on.  And yes, my home phones are landlines.

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who was still using a 2G phone.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »
I don't have data on my phone. . .

I've got data now b/c I'm on his account and he actually uses it sometimes. I also have Verizon now b/c it's the only thing that picks up in some places he has to go. Dunno why, but it's the only thing that works. Besides, I'm now ticked off at AT&T for doing away with my 2G that I was just fine and dandy with. I've had a phone a lot longer than him b/c it was for those "just in case the car breaks down or you have a wreck" emergencies.

I do like this camera though, and Vlad likes having his music.

Tags: