Author Topic: Dog Eats Rocks  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dog Eats Rocks
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
DeeDee or anyone,
Do you know of any reputable websites that cover this issue?  I DID Google, but...  anyone that I would be wiling to quote only covered the subject of a dog eating dirt. 

I know the worse case scenario is PICA.  However, I would like to give the person some ideas of what is most likely and what to change.  She isn't going to take the dog to the vet at this point.

These are some of the possibilities I have come up with so far (although providing her with a reputable source would be MUCH better):

Nutritional deficiency... She feeds kibble.  I know kibble isn't species appropriate.  But is it more likely with bottom of the barrel type of dog foods... such as Dog Chow?
Not enough food?
Boredom... the dog is young (under a year).
Exercise... the dog is in the house or in his crate quite a bit.  Doesn't sound like a lot of exercising is going on. 
Chew toys... he has them.  Maybe a few more and change them out every few days?

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Dog Eats Rocks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »
http://www.akc.org/press-center/akc-syndicate/ask-akc/dog-stop-eating-rocks/

That's the best advice. If they're not willing to take the dog to the vet to rule out some kind of health issue like nutritional deficiencies, then I don't know what to tell you.

Nothing you say is going to help if they're not willing to cover that first.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »
BTW. . .you might want to make her read this so she gets an idea of how devastating it can become. Now I know that the owner is a vet tech, and I've seen her say her dog eats a prescription diet, so I can't tell you what better food might do for the dog. I know he's back to health now, but the yard had to be cleared of rocks I believe:

http://mybrownnewfies.com/2014/01/30/62-thats-number-rocks-leroy-ate/

The search I use to find that article again has more articles on it:

http://mybrownnewfies.com/?s=eating+rocks
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »
I gave her the info.  We shall see...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: