Author Topic: First time cat owner need help with kitten  (Read 23624 times)

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
First time cat owner need help with kitten
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »
Hi everyone this is my first time having a cat the only problem is I'm not sure if it's normal for her to hide and growl at me.She is a 9 week orange tabby well that's what how old the animal shelter thinks  she is.Anyway I've had Lea for 4 days now and she is still very scared I have to be on my bed or out of the room for her to come out.She is eating well and using the litter but is scared to death when she sees me looking at her or sees me in general.many people have told me to have Lea in a small quiet room but my house doesn't have a small or quiet room so I just have her in my room.I'm not sure if having her in my room makes a difference in her behavior.Tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:04:57 PM by LeFlame »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: First time cat owner need help with kitten
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:32:24 PM »
Hello and welcome to PFK! Congratulations on your new baby girl Lea!

Keeping her in your room is fine. It's the one room that is the important thing, instead of many rooms.   Don't try to force interaction with her.  Hissing and growling is just her way of communicating to you that she is scared and uncertain.

How often are you in your room?  Do you have to be away for long periods?

If she comes out when you are on your bed, that is a good thing.  Talk to her in a soft voice so she can get used to you.  Use her name a lot and tell her how much you love her, how happy you are that she is there, and how much better she will feel in a while.

Very important for you to know that four days is a very very VERY short time, for any cat. Kittens sometimes do adjust quickly, but not all kittens, as you are discovering.  Some need weeks to adjust.  You are going to need to be very patient, but I assure you the rewards in the end, the feeling of winning a tiny innocent animal's trust, well it's indescribable.

You and Lea will have a really incredible bond.  But you must be very patient and go at her pace.

You'll see   :)

I'm just off to bed but wanted to welcome you and Lea and to urge you to stick around and keep us posted on Lea.  I know the others will be along sooner or later to chime in.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:58:11 PM »
hellowave HangInThere hellowave

I'm the dog person. But it's nice to have you here!!!

I don't remember the names of them, but (if it continues very long) you might want to check into some of those calming essential oils.

MC, Pookie, or Lola would know about the essential oil brands that are best. I can't remember them now, and don't know which thread lists the ones that have been used.

This is the kitty-pheromone version of the thing I use in our RV for our dogs when we're on trips:

https://www.chewy.com/feliway-30-day-starter-kit-plug-in/dp/121785

It comes in spray as well:

http://www.californiapetpharmacy.com/feliway-natual-spray-20ml.html
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 09:05:54 PM »
No, essential oils are not safe to use around cats, but the feliway plug in might be a good idea!

Rescue Remedy is a calming supplement you can add to her water or food, you might have luck with that too.

Good thinking Dee!

LeFlame: Remember that she is just a tiny baby and her whole world has been turned completely upside down.  She has no idea what's happened to her, where she is, or how to cope. It's going to take time, maybe lots of time, that's all.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:18:53 PM »
No, essential oils are not safe to use around cats, but the feliway plug in might be a good idea!

Rescue Remedy is a calming supplement you can add to her water or food, you might have luck with that too.

Good thinking Dee!

LeFlame: Remember that she is just a tiny baby and her whole world has been turned completely upside down.  She has no idea what's happened to her, where she is, or how to cope. It's going to take time, maybe lots of time, that's all.

MC is correct about the essential oils.  And she has a great idea with the Rescue Remedy.  There is a pet version that is alcohol-free, and that's the one you'd want to use.

I don't have as much experience as the others with new cats, and mine adjusted fairly well because they were litter-mates and had each other.  But MC's first post contains a lot of wonderful information, and she's had a lot of experience with cats.

Definitely go at Lea's pace.  She's just a baby, and all of this is new and scary to her.  You mention she hides if she sees you looking at her.  Like I said, I'm no expert, but maybe "ignoring" her, e.g. not focusing too much attention on her, might help?  I'm not at all suggesting you literally ignore her.  More like . . . observing from the corner of your eye more.  If I remember correctly, cats don't like direct stares -- they feel threatened.  So when you do look at her, (if you have a chance) give her the "slow blink."  Also, try not to stress/worry about her reactions.  They are perfectly normal, and she'll sense your stress which won't help her.

You can try EFT (emotional freedom technique) which involves tapping yourself.  You can Google it, and there's an article here that might give you an idea of what it's about:  http://www.littlebigcat.com/behavior/eft-in-practice-surrogate-eft-for-two-cats-and-a-puppy/

Jackson Galaxy also has tips, like this one:

Sending purrs, and welcome to the group!  Congrats on your new furkid!

P.S.  You're probably feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of this.  It's ok to feel that way.  Everything will be fine, it just takes time.  grouphug
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:36:49 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:40:24 PM »
One thing I did to help my furkids get used to me (at least, I think it helped), is I would make purring sounds.  I would just sit on the floor and "purr."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 10:05:36 PM »

Rescue Remedy! That's the name I couldn't remember. I thought it was essential oils though.  Doh1
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:06:19 AM »
Rescue Remedy for pets is an herbal mixture but not essential oils

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:58 AM »
Talk to her in a soft voice so she can get used to you.  Use her name a lot and tell her how much you love her, how happy you are that she is there, and how much better she will feel in a while.

You might also want to tell her something like, I know you're scared and confused right now, and you miss your old home, and that's okay.  This is your new home now, and you're safe and loved here.  Everything's going to be ok.

From her point of view, she doesn't understand what happened or why.  All she knows is that she's no longer with her family, etc.  Saying something like the above may help.  They really do understand.

grouphug

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys I think I just going to ignore her a bit more and give her time and space also can anyone recommend a good brand for kitten food?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 09:31:29 AM »
All I know to tell you is "no kibble" b/c you don't want to ruin the digestive system and (later on) kidneys. And carrageenan is a carcinogen.

OH! If you decide to go raw, "fur and feathers." NO Fish!

I've only been trained for knowing the worst dangers for the Twitter account. LOL One of the others will get back to you soon.

You might want to read some of this site while you wait for them to get back to you:  http://www.catinfo.org/  It's from Lisa A. Pierson, DVM.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 03:48:55 PM »
Orange/Red cats are Awesome!  Pictures are always good.  :)

Our Jenkins (shelter cat) was "less than friendly" when he first joined our family.  He would hiss and spit at us.  He didn't appreciate eye contact either.  He was SO afraid of humans.  For him, he did best when I let him out of the room and he was able to hang out with other felines.
Maybe there is a buddy at the shelter that Lea would appreciate...   ;D

As far as food... if you don't want to go raw... canned for sure!  Just about ANY canned is better than dry. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »
PS
Rumor has it that only 20% of red cats are female. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »
PSS   Silly7

Goooood video from Jackson Galaxy... great info! 

Also, do you have a feather toy?  This is a fan favorite at our house!  Jenkins was/is very comfortable playing with us and this toy.  He has a blast and it gives him a comfortable distance from the humans. 

WARNING:  I do know an acquaintance that didn't put the toy away after playtime.  Her cat got the string part wrapped around a chair leg and the cat's leg.  When her cat panicked and tried to get away, the sting tightened on his leg.  A very dangerous situation.  He had to have surgery. Soooooo, if you decide to get one... put away after play time.   :)

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
So far Lea is still scared and hissing I just got back from the store with a cat wand and a cat ball and some catnip but I'm not sure if catnip works on kittens as for a buddy it was hard enough to convince my mom to get a cat in the first place and especially in the house.Also the main reason I picked Lea was because it seems like the 2 other kittens in her cage outcasted her and she seems so sad so I just had to get her.

Tags: Kitten Help