Author Topic: First time cat owner need help with kitten  (Read 23614 times)

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
Re: First time cat owner need help with kitten
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »
I got her a little cat bed and she loves to go to my bathroom because I have her a little box in there with one of my old shirts so I doubt that il find her on my bed also she's only on the ground haven't seen her climb or jump around anywhere.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:45:36 AM by LeFlame »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 01:01:47 PM »
I got her a little cat bed and she loves to go to my bathroom because I have her a little box in there with one of my old shirts so I doubt that il find her on my bed also she's only on the ground haven't seen her climb or jump around anywhere.

Yes, that's to be expected in these early days.  That's why I referred to a breakthrough. Cats do like a warm spot, and as she becomes more settled and starts to get used to your habits and routines, she will begin to notice that at night you are still and quiet. 

She'll want to explore up there and when she does, she'll discover a nice warm spot around your legs to curl up in, possibly.

I don't mean this will happen tonight or even tomorrow night. It may even be months before she feels safe enough for that kind of exploration. I just wanted you to be prepared for it, when it does happen so you don't scare her if you wake up and see her curled up against your legs or back.

There's bound to be forward steps and backward steps.  It's all part of living with an unsocialized kitty.  HeadButt

If that happens you want to remean very quiet and stil and calm, so as not to frighten her.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »
Update on Lea my mom went to give her some food and she bit and started scrating my mom.Any way my mom wants to take her back because it's not fear that Leas showing anymore its aggression.Well it's been a fun ride with Lea it will pain me to have to give her back I was getting attached but hell I think this kitten won't ever be tame or mabe someone will take her in and take her I don't really know.Also I got Lea at a shelter event at tropical park so I was not matched with her I just picked her.well this has still been a lesson don't pick the cat that's hissing in the cage

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »
Update on Lea my mom went to give her some food and she bit and started scrating my mom.Any way my mom wants to take her back because it's not fear that Leas showing anymore its aggression.Well it's been a fun ride with Lea it will pain me to have to give her back I was getting attached but hell I think this kitten won't ever be tame or mabe someone will take her in and take her I don't really know.Also I got Lea at a shelter event at tropical park so I was not matched with her I just picked her.well this has still been a lesson don't pick the cat that's hissing in the cage

Okay, yes please do take her back.  Today if possible.  Make sure you tell them that she is un-socialized, did not interact with you and is biting in fear.  Yes, it is still fear causing her to act this way.   Biting is what cats do when they are afraid and pushed beyond their limits.  She is terrified and has no coping skills, she never learned any.  She barely knows you and your mother is a complete stranger.

It was good of your mother to try to feed her, but it's clear this is not a good match.

I do hope your mother didn't scream at her or hit her?  That would make her completely shut down.

It is important to be honest with them so they won't put her up to just anyone next time.  She needs special handling by someone experienced and skilled with un-socialized kittens. She is not a good candidate for adoption events.  She needs to be placed in foster care and socialized properly.  Don't worry, the shelter will know what to do for her.  Just be honest about why you are bringing her back

You are doing the right thing, very unselfish of you to do this.   Thank you.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2016, 08:57:11 PM »
Yeah she needs special care also I've been aware that she's scared that's why she hisses and bites but it's gone to a new level she gets aggressive and goes up to you to bite you. also my neighbor gave me one of his outdoor kittens I'd say about 6 months.this new kitten is not scared of me she fell asleep as I pet her.i guess Lea is really a special case If a cat I met today less then10 hours ago is already taking a liking to me then Lea needs a pro to teach her.This new cat I don't have a name for her yet she needs her vacancies and to be neutered is the operation long or will the cat be home with me the same day?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:30:01 PM by LeFlame »

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2016, 09:24:38 PM »
Also my neighbor just gave me the cat but it's not registered and has never been to the vet so I'm sure they are going to probe her a bit.my future posts will be about this new cat it is sad to see Lea also she's not starving she's really fat this new cat for sure is starving and is very skinny because it was part of a litter of its parents it's sister and her older brother so like 5 including her so she hasn't been able to eat much.the new kitten is friendly and rubs it's self on me still probably not going to get much sleep for some days this is the first time it's away from mom and dad.also I wouldn't call this kitten feral or tame more like a bit wild but trusting of humans.Also after playing with the kitten and hearing it seems sick like if it had a bad cold or bronchitis
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:34:02 PM by LeFlame »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »
Sorry to hear Lea's adoption didn't work out.  Is she back at the shelter already?  If not, how is she doing with the other new cat?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2016, 10:11:25 PM »
I have Lea separated from the other kitten still think on a name this one is a keeper for sure I'm just worried about the weezing.Lea is in the bath room while the other kitten is in my room this kitten is not use to being petted but rubs her self on me.im not sure if I can use the same carrier for both kittens.i have to get the new kitten all fixed up at the shelter she needs vacinces and to be neutered.Also any idea how long the operation takes or if she can come home with me the same day.When I got Lea she was all set and ready.Also I think it's not Leas fault for acting the way she is I just think the shelter shouldn't have taken her to an even like that and should have worked with her to tell you the truth I'm scared that no one will adopt Lea and that she will be put to sleep that's why I wanted to wait and give her time but my mom thinks it's best to just take her back.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2016, 04:55:58 AM »
You need to take Lea back to the shelter before she catches something from the other kitten.  It's not right to keep her shut in the bathroom like that. Please bring her back today.

They won't kill Lea, I looked up the shelter you adopted her from, they are a no kill shelter. Just bring her back, today, please.

The new kitten does need to go to the vet right away. The vet will examine her and diagnose her upper respiratory infection (URI) She will probably be put on antibiotics.  She will need to be de-fleaed and de-wormed. and put some weight on before being spayed. The vaccinations wil be given in a series, kittens can't have full doses all at once.  So you will have to bring her back a few times over the next few months.

The spay surgery is a one day surgery, most vets do not keep them overnight.  You will have to not feed her after a certain time the night before, then take her to the vet in the morning and leave her there.  She will have her surgery and then you will bring her home in the evening.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2016, 06:19:46 AM »
Lea is use to being in the bathroom that's why I put her there also because I don't want her getting anything from the new kitten.im going to take her back today if I can.Also how did you find the shelter btw Leas name is just the name I gave her the shelter called her titi I'm not sure you found the right shelter.Also the new kitten is so skinny Lea weighs more then her but this kitten is very sweet and loving in its own way it came to me and walked up my lap and back down slowly not scaredly though.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2016, 06:29:51 AM »
You mentioned the adoption event where you adopted Lea, and I just searched for it.

Even with Lea in the bathroom she is at risk for catching disease from the sickly barn kitten. At 9 weeks old she has not had all her immunization vaccines and is at very high risk.

The sooner she is returned, the better her chances of not only staying healthy, but getting the proper care and socialization she needs.

Once she is safely returned you can concentrate on the new kitten.

If the barn kitten has been in the carrier you intend to use for Lea, it needs to be disinfected before putting Lea into it. Wash it with hot soapy water, and rinse it well, then dry it.

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2016, 06:55:23 AM »
Leas carrier box I got from the event is clean now I just need a box for the new kitten.Also lea has all her shots I have her papers somewhere in my desk.yeah the new kitten doesn't have a carrier I'm just going to use a box low on money from all the cat stuff I've bought this past month.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »
Be sure to take her papers back with her.  The box for the other kitten needs a lit, with holes in it so he/she can breathe.  I would also recommend puttings newspapers or a towel in the bottom of the box to make the cat more comfortable, and it case it urinates.

Do me a favor:  when you take Lea back, tell her in a calm voice, that while you love her, you just can't provide the care she needs, so you're taking her to people who will.  Animals understand more than we think, and she needs to know.  Thank you.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline LeFlame

• BANNED
  • Yapper
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:48 AM »
Yeah I'm just going to make the new kitten a box until I can buy a carrier.Also main reason Lea is in the bathroom is so I can grab her and put her in the carrier without her runing hiding or biting.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:34:15 AM by LeFlame »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
Leas carrier box I got from the event is clean now I just need a box for the new kitten.Also lea has all her shots I have her papers somewhere in my desk.yeah the new kitten doesn't have a carrier I'm just going to use a box low on money from all the cat stuff I've bought this past month.

If she is only 9 weeks old, 8 when she came home with you, this is not possible.  Kittens have to have series of shots, and the rabies vaccine is not given until at least 12 weeks.  At the most she will have only had her first FVCRP and possibly her first FeLV.

Follow up visits for the remaining shots in the series would have to be scheduled.  The only reason this matters right now is that she is NOT protected from anything the other kitten may have.

I hope you will return Lea today. The sooner she is brought back, the less stress she is going to suffer, and the better her future will be.

If the carrier belongs to you, when you bring Lea back you will keep the carrier.  If it belongs to the shelter, of course they will keep it and you should get a new one for the new kitten. A "box" is not adequate or appropriate, you need a secure carrier specifically made to carry pets.

Once Lea is returned you need to get the new kitten to the vet right away.  She needs to be tested for diseases, FeLV, FIV and heartworm.  She needs to be de-flead and de-wormed or your room will soon be full of fleas. And she needs treatment for that URI, and to make sure she isn't pregnant.

Tags: Kitten Help