Author Topic: High Pressure Processing (HPP): The Future of Raw Pet Food?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
High Pressure Processing (HPP): The Future of Raw Pet Food?
« on: November 29, 2016, 07:21:23 PM »
Snip...
The FDA has long had a problem with raw meat pet foods, citing them as unsafe due to the potential for bacterial contamination. As a result of FDA attempts to interfere with the raw pet food industry, many raw pet food manufacturers have begun using HPP or High Pressure Processing to sterilize their foods without cooking them.¹

Snip...
High pressure can inactivate and kill bacteria. This is one of the main benefits of this process. Very little damage to proteins, depending on the pressure, occurs during HPP. At pressures above 400 MPa, a small amount of protein damage in meat is suspected as there occurs a lightening of the meat's color. For the most part, however, HPP does not appreciably alter the nutrient content of raw foods.³ This is in contrast to cooking, which can radically alter the nutrient content of meats. While HPP effectively kills bacteria, it is still being determined whether it is effective on viruses.⁴ HPP used under certain circumstances may kill prions, such as BSE or Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, but using it for this purpose may not be practical.⁵

Article written by Dr. Elisa Katz, DVM
Read FULL article here:  http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/high-pressure-processing-the-future-of-raw-cat-food
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: High Pressure Processing (HPP): The Future of Raw Pet Food?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
I posted the above article ONLY because I thought it was interesting to read a different view...  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
I still can't get Daddy's voice out of my head stressing to me, "Any action has an equal and opposite reaction," no matter what I read.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 05:01:33 AM »
Thanks Loa, I'll be having a read of that.

Tags: