Author Topic: Benadryl For Dogs  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Benadryl For Dogs
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »
I have read and heard many people mention giving Benadryl to their dogs.  I didn't pay any attention because Lacy dog doesn't have allergies.  HOWEVER, a person at work mentioned that she gives it to her dogs for anxiety during thunderstorms, car rides, holidays that involve fireworks.  That peaked my interest.

With 4th Of July coming soon, I did a little googling...

One of the side effects of Benadryl is drowsiness, which helps to calm anxious dogs.

http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/benadryl-for-dogs/

It isn't likely I will give Lacy any, but I am playing with the idea a litttttttttle bit.  Thoughts?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Benadryl For Dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
Dr. Mitchell told me that it was okay if I tried dosing them with Benedryl, and dogs have a different dosage that's much larger than humans normally tolerate. For dogs, the dosage is:  1 mg. Benedryl to 1 pound of body weight. Vlad is just over 100#, so he gets 100 mg Benedryl.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:26:42 PM »
I can't speak about giving it to dogs, but I know Benadryl makes ME drowsy!   :)  zzzzzGif  So it doesn't surprise me that it would do the same thing to dogs.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »
Dr. Mitchell told me that it was okay if I tried dosing them with Benedryl, and dogs have a different dosage that's much larger than humans normally tolerate. For dogs, the dosage is:  1 mg. Benedryl to 1 pound of body weight. Vlad is just over 100#, so he gets 100 mg Benedryl.

Do you know the reason that dogs require so much?.  The recommended dosage is a HUGE amount.  It scares me. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 12:08:20 AM »
Do you know the reason that dogs require so much?.  The recommended dosage is a HUGE amount.  It scares me. 

Not a clue. I questioned him about using it b/c I'd read the suggested dose online, and thought it HAD to be some kind of typo that carried to the fingers of everyone typing everywhere. But it's not a typo.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/can-i-give-my-dog-benadryl-and-if-so-how-much

I'd suggest trying it before you plan on using it just to see what kind of effect (if any) it has.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: benadryl