Author Topic: Swai Fish And Egg Chat  (Read 5342 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Swai Fish
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 02:02:54 PM »
Just curious.... why would that be better then actual eggs?

Being dried, I'm not sure about that. If you want to reduce the chance of salmonella, just wash the eggs with soap and hot water. It's really the outside of the shell that has the most issues due to contact with poop. Yes, it can also be found inside the egg, but not as much. If you just want to be extra, you can dip them in boiling water for about 15 seconds. This isn't a guarantee that there's no salmonella, but it greatly lessens it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 03:05:27 PM »

I looked up the changes in eggs from raw to cooked, and found this:

Change in Protein Structure

According to Encyclopedia.com, the denaturation of protein means that the structure of protein may change when exposed to heat, acid or alkali, or bases. These external forces change the structure of the egg from a liquid form to a solid form; the denatured proteins will lose their biological action, such as enzyme function, but their nutritional value will remain the same. For example, avidin is a protein in egg whites. If you eat egg whites raw, the avidin binds with biotin and prevents it from being absorbed, but if the egg white is cooked, it denatures avididin and biotin is easily absorbed by your body. The egg will still contain 6 grams of protein after the egg is cooked; only the structure of the protein will change.

From: http://www.livestrong.com/article/286649-what-happens-when-egg-protein-is-cooked/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Swai Fish And Egg Chat
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »

Also... thanks DeeDee for the info.

Convenience.  Originally geared toward cats.  Many cats won't eat raw yolk. And many of us have discovered that 1/4 yolk daily, as opposed to one or two yolks a week, is more effective at hairball control/motility management.  So even if the cat will eat raw yolk, giving 1/4 raw yolk a day could be a problem.

So in the files there are instructions on how to dry egg yolk but it is very labor/time intensive.

Dried is often preferred because, with the moisture removed, it not only lasts longer, cats who might balk at raw or boiled yolk, may be willing to accept the tiny amount of dried needed.

I choose to just give Mazy cat boiled yolk, 1/4 boiled yolk a day, so I boil an egg every 4 days for her.  I won't use the Food Fur Life product for Mazy cat because Mazy has to have organic eggs.  Certified organic.  I might try it for Jennie and Queen Eva though.  They take EYL currently, 1/2 capsule daily, with half an egg yolk each, once a week, on Sunday (they both eat it raw).

I realize we're discussing dogs here, but though the dried yolk product was created with cats in mind, it is for dogs also and of course has other benefits besides hair ball help.

I use Pete & Gerry's eggs, for the cats and I.  Just like after I discovered the difference in organic non GMO fed chicken, I'll never go back.

https://peteandgerrys.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpKWBiJ-b1QIVRZd-Ch2HBAk_EAAYASAAEgIxRfD_BwE

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »
Just a tidbit of info...
TECHNICALLY consumers don't have to worry about poo on eggs .... like in the old days.  Eggs are cleaned before packaged.  Also, if a human (employee at a grocery store, for example) touches an egg... the eggs have to be repackaged and sold as Grade B eggs. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
THANKS for the info, MC!!!!  It doesn't matter if we are talking about dogs or cats... info is info!  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
Just a tidbit of info...
TECHNICALLY consumers don't have to worry about poo on eggs .... like in the old days.

As long as you get them from the store. I still occasionally find a bit of poop on the ones we have locally. More and more people are buying them straight from small farms that don't sell to stores like around here.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 09:48:56 AM »
Just a tidbit of info...
TECHNICALLY consumers don't have to worry about poo on eggs .... like in the old days.  Eggs are cleaned before packaged.  Also, if a human (employee at a grocery store, for example) touches an egg... the eggs have to be repackaged and sold as Grade B eggs. 

That is interesting about if an egg is touched by an employee!  But how do they monitor if shoppers are touching the eggs?  You know, how people open the carton and touch each egg to see if it's cracked or stuck to the carton, indicating a crack underneath?

By the way, eggs in the US have to be refrigerated because, BECAUSE, they are washed. In other countries the eggs are not washed, and are not refrigerated.  I read about this a while back after reading a discussion in a UK based forum. Here, it's against the law to not wash and refrigerate eggs for commercial production.

There, it's against the law to wash eggs and no on refrigerates them.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
That is interesting about if an egg is touched by an employee!  But how do they monitor if shoppers are touching the eggs?  You know, how people open the carton and touch each egg to see if it's cracked or stuck to the carton, indicating a crack underneath?

By the way, eggs in the US have to be refrigerated because, BECAUSE, they are washed. In other countries the eggs are not washed, and are not refrigerated.  I read about this a while back after reading a discussion in a UK based forum. Here, it's against the law to not wash and refrigerate eggs for commercial production.

There, it's against the law to wash eggs and no on refrigerates them.  funny2

As far as monitoring... that is why I used the term "technically."  That is the rule, BUT there aren't egg police around to monitor.   Silly7  Assuming employees are honest, it also keeps them from taking the non-broken eggs from different cartons and combining them into one carton... tossing the broken ones.  No mixing of dates, brands, sizes, etc.  It is allowed, but they have to be put into a carton that clearly states Grade B. 

I have read that same info about the UK.  They (or we) do a LOT of things differently.  Not to change the subject, but... ;)  I was in a UK raw feeding group for a while.  Some of the stories I read... blew my mind!  If they stumble across roadkill, they get SO excited... free meat! 

Back to eggs.... I saw the certified organic eggs you mentioned, at the store yesterday.  They are almost 6 bucks a dozen!  I almost choked.  I'll skip a Starbucks next week, and then pick up a dozen.  If nothing else, I am curious about them. 

I have lived VERY close to a chicken farm... twice.  Same owners.  They eventually got forced out of town... more or less.  Their eggs are sold in most of the grocery stores around here.  Their eggs are also the store brand eggs. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:05:25 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »

I have lived VERY close to a chicken farm... twice.  Same owners.  They eventually got forced out of town... more or less.  Their eggs are sold in most of the grocery stores around here.  Their eggs are also the store brand eggs. 

These aren't "for commercial sales" farmers that have them around here. Just more like hobby farmers with kids in 4H that sell all their extras. Depending on who it is, I pay $4 to $5 per dozen.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »
As far as monitoring... that is why I used the term "technically."  That is the rule, BUT there aren't egg police around to monitor.   Silly7  Assuming employees are honest, it also keeps them from taking the non-broken eggs from different cartons and combining them into one carton... tossing the broken ones.  No mixing of dates, brands, sizes, etc.  It is allowed, but they have to be put into a carton that clearly states Grade B. 

I have read that same info about the UK.  They (or we) do a LOT of things differently.  Not to change the subject, but... ;)  I was in a UK raw feeding group for a while.  Some of the stories I read... blew my mind!  If they stumble across roadkill, they get SO excited... free meat! 

Back to eggs.... I saw the certified organic eggs you mentioned, at the store yesterday.  They are almost 6 bucks a dozen!  I almost choked.  I'll skip a Starbucks next week, and then pick up a dozen.  If nothing else, I am curious about them. 

I pay $3.99 a doz for the Pete & Jerry's.  Or is it $4.99.  I'll let you know when I do my shopping, which was supposed to have been done today but wasn't. A dozen lasts me about 2 weeks, between the cats and myself. Every twelve cartons I send in the UPCs and get a coupon for a free dozen.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 03:43:47 AM »

I used to belong to a raw-feeding group years ago, and there are people here in the US who pick up road kill, too.  I would be afraid to do it, I think.  What if the animal was sick when it got hit? 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 04:57:26 AM »
I used to belong to a raw-feeding group years ago, and there are people here in the US who pick up road kill, too.  I would be afraid to do it, I think.  What if the animal was sick when it got hit? 

I know, I feel the same way!  And there's the ones who search for "free meat" ads. They'll buy a load of meat someone has had in their freezer, not knowing how old the meat is, the source of it, how it might have been stored....I can't imagine.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »
I know, I feel the same way!  And there's the ones who search for "free meat" ads. They'll buy a load of meat someone has had in their freezer, not knowing how old the meat is, the source of it, how it might have been stored....I can't imagine.

I got free meat sometimes, on Freecycle.  Usually it was a hunter who wanted to clear out any leftover meat when the new season started.  I used to go to a processor who let me pick through their scraps, too. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 11:22:36 AM »
Convenience.  Originally geared toward cats.  Many cats won't eat raw yolk. And many of us have discovered that 1/4 yolk daily, as opposed to one or two yolks a week, is more effective at hairball control/motility management.  So even if the cat will eat raw yolk, giving 1/4 raw yolk a day could be a problem.

So in the files there are instructions on how to dry egg yolk but it is very labor/time intensive.

Dried is often preferred because, with the moisture removed, it not only lasts longer, cats who might balk at raw or boiled yolk, may be willing to accept the tiny amount of dried needed.

I choose to just give Mazy cat boiled yolk, 1/4 boiled yolk a day, so I boil an egg every 4 days for her.  I won't use the Food Fur Life product for Mazy cat because Mazy has to have organic eggs.  Certified organic.  I might try it for Jennie and Queen Eva though.  They take EYL currently, 1/2 capsule daily, with half an egg yolk each, once a week, on Sunday (they both eat it raw).

I realize we're discussing dogs here, but though the dried yolk product was created with cats in mind, it is for dogs also and of course has other benefits besides hair ball help.

I use Pete & Gerry's eggs, for the cats and I.  Just like after I discovered the difference in organic non GMO fed chicken, I'll never go back.

https://peteandgerrys.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpKWBiJ-b1QIVRZd-Ch2HBAk_EAAYASAAEgIxRfD_BwE

If I want to add egg, how much should I add, assuming they will eat it?  Do I substitute egg yolk for part of the meat, or just add them to the meal, as a supplement?  Asking about both cats and dogs...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 12:11:35 PM »
If I want to add egg, how much should I add, assuming they will eat it?  Do I substitute egg yolk for part of the meat, or just add them to the meal, as a supplement?  Asking about both cats and dogs...

I use this (thanks to MC's recommendation):  http://www.foodfurlife.com/store/p9/EZ_Egg_Yolk.html
I just add it to their food, and don't subtract any food.