Author Topic: You MUST Read This BEFORE Letting Your Dog Play In The Water  (Read 1362 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Cross training is common for those that have dogs performing in sports such as agility. Swimming is a way to help build up muscle and increase flexibility easily.

Last year, Susan was poolside at her home in Morgan Hill, California, tossing a ball for her water-loving Papillon, Kinetic. The 3½-year-old dog was a top-ranked agility competitor, with whom Susan planned to compete at elite agility events around the globe this year. Susan routinely cross-trained the little dog in the pool to build her muscle strength. Kinetic had just learned how to leap straight into the pool, and absolutely loved diving into the big blue expanse for her toy.

Susan was always careful to prevent Kinetic from overexertion; the dog’s name reflected her exuberant attitude about everything she did. So after the usual 20 minutes, Susan called a time-out for Kinetic to rest.

A half-hour later, Susan found her dog motionless on the couch. Kinetic was so lethargic and weak that her head bobbed and she urinated uncontrollably when Susan picked her up. In the car on the way to the emergency vet, things got worse: Kinetic started to foam at the mouth, her lips turned blue, and she passed out, lapsing into a coma from which she would never awaken.

Continue reading at: http://iheartdogs.com/you-must-read-this-before-letting-your-dog-play-in-the-water/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: You MUST Read This BEFORE Letting Your Dog Play In The Water
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »
Although fairly rare, that was a very sad story.  :(
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »
Although fairly rare, that was a very sad story.  :(

Yes. I've heard of it happening to children too.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »
I don't know if either of you saw the comments, but I thought this was interesting:

Mark Miller · President (title) at My own business
http://iheartdogs.com/you-must-read-this-before-letting.../

This happened to my dog, 15lb shih-tzu, he loves swimming but eats at the bubbles on the surface of the water
After a day of swimming he started to throw up, moaning of stomach pains, laying on the couch not moving, I noticed his saliva kept coming out of his mouth I knew right away he was very ill, I googled the condition and then ran to the store for Gatorade, I gave him about 4 cap full of Gatorade, after abou t 20mins he started feeling much better, I then got a bottle of Pedialyte, gave him about 3 cap fulls of that and of course I had to force feed it to him pouring it in his mouth. After an hour he was feeling much better, probably saved his life. Dog swimmers keep a bottle of Pedialyte on hand, this will get electrolytes back in your dog quickly, a cap full of Gatorade could be helpful but not recommended. By acting quickly I saved my dogs life. Pool owners, keep Pedialyte on hand and don't let your dog swim too long, if your dog takes a break, give him a cap full of Pedialyte in between breaks and most important when you see your dog has constant saliva coming from his mouth it's a huge red flag and get electrolytes in him/her asap. Be careful and smart with your swimming dog.

I would still get the dog to the vet, but having the Pedialyte might be helpful in the meantime.  I should note this same person posted separate comments that mentioned giving Powerade, "Actually it was Powerade that states replenish 4 electrolytes, has sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium. It could have been the combo of Powerade and Pedialyte that made him better?? I read Gatorade, Powerade is not recommended due to the sugar and other stuff but a few cap fulls won't hurt and adding the Pedialyte was the best for my dog, again by acting quickly and watching the signs for water intoxication will save your dogs life."
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: