Author Topic: When in doubt, throw it out  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
When in doubt, throw it out
« on: October 22, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »
Painful but true.

Turkey thigh is difficult to find around here.  Only one (of 3) grocery stores carry it. It's not the store I usually shop at, the only thing I buy there is turkey thigh!

I stopped there yesterday and bought 2 packs.  I wasn't pleased with the dates.  First I had to pick over all the "use/freeze by 10/18" dates. Considering it was October 21, this was not a good sign.

Underneath I found a few "use/freeze by 10/23". Still not great but because thigh is so scarce I wanted to have it done before I ran out so I bought two packs, went straight home and cut them up to freeze right away.

But.

One of the packs smelled funny.  This has happened before. Usually I simply bag it up and take it back and get my money back but this time I just wanted to get done and cut it all up, all the time doubting msyelf about it.  The other pack was fine.  I washed the utensils before cutting up the second pack BUT, I forgot to change out the weighing bowl.

I worried about cross contamination all night.

So this morning I woke up and decided to throw the whole batch away.  All of it.  I can't risk contaminating my cats with bad turkey!

So I'm out the turkey thigh (which is difficult to find) and the money, because I was in too much of a hurry to bring it back yesterday.  Shouldn't HAVE to bring it back but like I said, this is not the first time I have had questionable smelling meat from that store.

It was about $11 worth.

I have about 2 weeks left before I need more, so I'll try again next week.  Wont' go today because I am likely to find the same batch. Yuck.

Incidentally.  I gave Jennie a little cartilage from the second, smelled fine, package.  This morning she had a very smelly poop. So I don't know.  I gave her a whole s.boulardii a half hour before her breakfast and will do that again at lunch and supper, s.boulardii, especially given alone, fights intestinal things.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
Re: When in doubt, throw it out
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »
Not only that I just took out the chicken breast to cut it up only to discover I'd bought the kind with "up to 15% solution" added.  bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

In teeny teeny tiny letters it says that.  The only reason I even noticed is because...as I was getting ready to open the package I stopped and thought.."did I check the sodium content before I bought this?" and I couldn't remember.  So I checked the sodium content and sure enough 390 mg per serving.

So that I will bring back.  But honestly.  I am too experienced to be caught out like that, but sometimes, when I'm in a rush, or tired, it happens.  TEENY TINY LETTERS.  You'd think they'd have it in BIG letters so people would notice it.  Now they have to give me my money back, AND throw the chicken away.  Their loss.

And now I have no chicken breast to cut up.  I do not feel like going to the store today, it's SUNDAY my rest day. My "I don't have to get dressed" day. Phooey.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »
Just a little follow up to say I have let all the annoyance and impatience go.  It's a beautiful Sunday afternoon and all my work was done yesterday (except the chicken breast haha) and I have a roaster in the oven.  I'm sitting out on the porch with the cats reading my book and enjoying the show my hill is putting on.  It's different every day.

Sundays don't get any better than this!  love1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
First I had to pick over all the "use/freeze by 10/18" dates. Considering it was October 21, this was not a good sign.

There are laws against selling out of date products.  Laws or no laws, meat would be the WORST!  IMHO  I understand people are human and make mistakes, but... 3 days!   :o
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
There are laws against selling out of date products.  Laws or no laws, meat would be the WORST!  IMHO  I understand people are human and make mistakes, but... 3 days!   :o

Yes, they are certainly breaking the law by not taking care to remove expired meat.  In other circumstances i would have taken the time and effort to find someone and make a complaint.  But yesterday the timing was just not right. I was in a hurry on a time line and not willing to stray.  I meant to say something to the check out person, but then I saw to my surprise they now have self check out and the only place there was no long line was self check out so i went there, and forgot about reporting it.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 04:09:31 PM »
You guys won't believe what an idiot I am.  I am throwing out more raw cat food, this time Rad Cat, which is a much more costly error.  Yesterday I cleaned the oven and then very carefully cleaned everything, wiped every surface, including the floor, to make sure to remove any residue of the spray that may have floated around.  Cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.

Then, once I was sure all was done, I took out the 3 ice cube trays full of Rad Cat I had cut up the night before, to be bagged up. I went merrily along bagging them up, 9 or 10 pieces to a bag.  Fill the bag, wash my hands, put it in the freezer, wash my hands, start the next bag.

After I got all done I turned around and realized the towel I had been wiping my hands on after washing them was NOT the clean towel I had set out for the purpose, but a towel I had used to place over the oven door while wiping out the inside of the oven. So the towel, while not saturated or anything, most definitely had some oven cleaner residue on it.

I kind of lost my head for a minute, took the 4 bags out, got new fresh bags ready, rinsed off every piece, and put them back in the clean bags.

This morning , and all day long at work I struggled with whether I really wanted to take any risk that those meal portions were contaminated. By 4 o'clock I decided that $33 lost plus the extra work was a small price to pay for eliminating ANY risk of contamination, so the two weeks of Rad Cat meals went into the trash and I will have to start over.

bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »
 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 04:37:59 PM »
At least I am at peace about my decision.  I hate losing even more money like that, but I feel so peaceful after finally coming to the decision that I know it's the right one.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »
I understand that feeling ... should I or shouldn't I toss it?  I go over allllll the reasons why I should, and then I fret about the waste and expense.  I make a decision... all is better.  :) 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: