Author Topic: How do you handle losing your veterinarian?  (Read 3010 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
How do you handle losing your veterinarian?
« on: July 23, 2016, 12:22:47 PM »
Vlad and Barkly's veterinary practice owner died yesterday in a farming accident with tractor/bush-hog. He went out mid-afternoon and he wasn't looked for until later when it started getting dark. He was found at 8:00 p.m. last night.

I'm not the only one in shock. He did a LOT for our community. Everyone is reeling.

He's been our vet since December 26, 1985. I remember the date so well b/c it was when our first Airedale Puppy DJ (named after Diamond Jim Brady of railroading history) was poisoned in our backyard while I bathed the boys. That was my first and only lesson in not leaving dogs outside alone even when they're fenced.

Our vet had recently opened his practice, and he was the only one that even answered the night after Christmas--and he had children too. That bought him my lifelong respect and business.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: How do you handle losing your veterinarian?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:00:19 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss and your community's loss.  I've never "lost" a vet so I don't really have any advice to give.  The vets I went to, I left them for various reasons.

Was he the only vet in the practice or are there other vets there, too?  Just curious (not saying they could ever replace him).

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »
Thank you, Pookie.

There are 2 others, the woman that we only see in an emergency, and the vet that Vlad mainly sees--who Barkly saw this spring for the first time since I finally managed to get them both on the same schedule. But a couple of times since he's been there, he's called in the head vet for a 2nd opinion on Vlad.

I guess since he only graduated in 2012, he's not always absolutely positive of everything, and I guess that now he'd better become positive pretty fast. I know that I've heard enough that I don't trust anyone else around here. When any kind of surgery has been needed since 1985, there's been only one person that did it. He's had all kinds of certificates and state and national awards in all of the exam rooms.

I'm not sure if they're partners or what. I just know that the practice closed today, and visitation is Monday at the funeral home, and Tuesday at the church before the funeral Tuesday afternoon. Their FB page said that the office will be open Monday as usual, but be closed Tuesday.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that!!   I think I would attend the funeral or send a card to the practice.  Not sure if that was what you were asking.  If that wasn't what you were asking... do you like the other vet enough to make the change? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 04:58:42 PM »
I'll stay with the younger vet as long as the practice is there. After all, I know who's trained him for the past 4 years. Not sure what I'll do if something happens to the practice.

I don't think I can handle a funeral right now. There's too much else going on, and I just don't think I can handle it. Things aren't getting any better at all with Daddy. In fact, we're seeing rapid progress toward the bad.

We'll figure out which of the 2 places they asked for memorials in lieu of flowers tonight when we've both got time to talk, and we'll send something there.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 06:13:22 PM »
Oh Dee how terrible.  I am so sorry.

Tags: