Author Topic: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding  (Read 27611 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
I haven't used a grinder, but when I put Mazy cat's meat through the food processor, the meat is partially frozen. And yes, if you are adding skin it is a bit more messy.

I add skin separate per meal for Mazy cat (and Jennie too, but she eats chunks) except with the exception of her Cornish hen.  That I debone and process, meat, skin and all.  And it is messy.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2018, 04:07:35 PM »
Do grinders, like knives, work better with meat that is not completely thawed out?

The grinder you bought, suggests frozen or partially thawed.

The website prefers one doesn't copy wording.   ::)
http://grinderdiner.com/sunmile-sm-g35-review/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:22:00 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2018, 05:00:09 AM »

The grinder you bought, suggests frozen or partially thawed.

The website prefers one doesn't copy wording.   ::)
http://grinderdiner.com/sunmile-sm-g35-review/

I kind of suspected as much, but it's good to have confirmation.  I am please to note that it says the grinder won't tackle "hard, thick" bones, as opposed to saying "no bones."  Once I get used to it, I may try, very cautiously, to put some small, softer bones in there and see how it goes, chicken bones, maybe some chunks of bone-in rabbit.  The more of the food I can actually grind and use, the better off I will be.  Chicken leg quarters are a great bargain, but I end up losing a lot of meat when I use them.  It's very hard to get it all off the bone!  I can save larger bones, like the ones in pork roasts and beef, as well as any excess chicken bones, to make bone broth.  I'd like to get to the point that I don't have to use so much Alnutrin.  The cost adds up quickly!  It would be nice if I could grind bone, and then start using Dr. Pierson's recipe.  It seems like it might be a bit more cost-effective, plus, I like the idea of my animals having the benefits of eating fresh, whole bone.  I like to buy meat at Sprouts when I spot a good buy there, and they have pretty regular sales on vitamins and things like that, often either BOGO or 50% off.  Since I just got two packages of Alnutrin, I have a while to figure all of that out.   

I did notice that her recipe does not include organs, other than liver.  Is that why there are so many vitamins added, or did I miss something?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:08:16 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
I am starting to see differences!

I have already mentioned poop, of course, and that is still true:  much less, and less stinky.  All of the cats are starting to look shinier, and this, too, is no surprise.

One thing I was not really expecting was the fact that the really fine, soft hair behind my long-haired cats' ears is not tangling as much.  Same with Bandit, and that was a real problem with him.  He would start getting snarls there in a matter of days, and he HATES to have his ears messed with.  I've never really had a big issue with the cats getting "eye boogers," but I have had it with him, and that seems to be improving, too.  He has less of that discoloration that you see so often under the eyes of white dogs.  It's not all gone, but it's better. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »
I am starting to see differences!

I have already mentioned poop, of course, and that is still true:  much less, and less stinky.  All of the cats are starting to look shinier, and this, too, is no surprise.

One thing I was not really expecting was the fact that the really fine, soft hair behind my long-haired cats' ears is not tangling as much.  Same with Bandit, and that was a real problem with him.  He would start getting snarls there in a matter of days, and he HATES to have his ears messed with.  I've never really had a big issue with the cats getting "eye boogers," but I have had it with him, and that seems to be improving, too.  He has less of that discoloration that you see so often under the eyes of white dogs.  It's not all gone, but it's better. 

bananamiddlechild multistars bananamiddlechild multistars

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »
Like an idiot, once again, I have run out of Alnutrin.   :-[  I thought I had enough food made up to last longer than I did, but as everyone becomes more accustomed to raw, I am using less and less canned food, and I ran short.  I ordered more yesterday, three packages this time.  In the meantime, as I am loath to make up a normal sized batch of ground food without it, I'm thinking this might be a wonderful opportunity to introduce chunks, just to see if I get any takers.  I have thawed two Cornish hens, and am getting ready to cut them up.  I would really love to get at least some of these guys on prey model.  I know I would have to find a source of secreting organs, but that has got to be cheaper than going through enough Alnutrin for eight animals every month.

Anyway....thoughts?  Anyone here feed strictly prey model, with no supplements?  I know that people do, and I used to myself, but that was with dogs only.  Also, am I going to do irreparable harm to my cats if they miss out on Alnutrin for a few days?  I have the meat, the liver, and a carp ton of bone broth. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:59:31 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
For sources other than grocery stores, check out your zip-code at:

https://www.localharvest.org/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »
You might also want to check out Hare Today:  https://hare-today.com/
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:49 PM »
I've been browsing Hare Today for months, way before I started with raw.  The shipping costs might be an issue.

You might also want to check out Hare Today:  https://hare-today.com/

For sources other than grocery stores, check out your zip-code at:

https://www.localharvest.org/

I'll check it out.  I think that My Pet Carnivore would also be a good option for me, if I can work out the logistics of getting to a pick-up point.  They have one not terribly far from here, but the timing is not good.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »
This really probably belongs in the dog forum, but Lily and Bandit both ate bones today!  I think it's going to take longer to get the cats to try them. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »
I think that My Pet Carnivore would also be a good option for me, if I can work out the logistics of getting to a pick-up point.  They have one not terribly far from here, but the timing is not good.

It would be good for me too except for the timing. The Nashville drops are later in the day when traffic is more than crazy, and that means I'd have to drive up to Bowling Green. Doable, but not one of my favorite drives.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2018, 11:20:51 PM »
Everything still going ok?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »
Everything still going ok?

Yes, very well.  I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while.  Not much luck getting the cats to eat bones.  Lily and Bandit will, but the problem with that, as I suspected, is that Lily drags anything that isn't ground up under the covers of my bed, eating some immediately, and stashing some for later.  I would love for her to have the benefits of bones, but not so much that I'm okay with finding her treasures under my pillow.   ::)

Still loving the fact that the cats' coats don't mat anymore, and that their poop is not so smelly.  I'm also getting a better idea of what a correct portion looks like.  I think that initially I was putting down too much food, and then panicking when they didn't eat all of it.  It takes a while to shake the "free feeding" mindset, in terms of how much to feed at each meal, and way too easy to offer what should be a day's worth of food all at once.   

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
We will try to go that route but right now there are to many personal factors (job up in the air, elderly parents on two continents, ...).

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2018, 12:43:51 PM »
We will try to go that route but right now there are to many personal factors (job up in the air, elderly parents on two continents, ...).

The main motto around here is, "We do the best we can, and that's all we can do."

Tags: