This And That - Often Non Pet Related Topics > General Discussion

Tip to remove ice/frost from windshields

(1/3) > >>

Pookie:
I just found this neat tip and wanted to share it, since most of us are in a Deep Freeze (and have been for a while).

https://www.mom4real.com/2-ingredient-homemade-car-de-icer-spray-removes-ice-in-seconds/

--- Quote --- You will need a spray bottle filled about 1/3 of the way with water. Now, you’ll fill the rest of the bottle with Isopropyl Alcohol. Shake it up!  Spray liberally with your de-icing mixture.  Watch for a second as the ice starts to instantly melt away.  Turn your windshield wipers on so they cycle back and forth a few times.  Get in your car and get on with your day…ice free of course!
--- End quote ---

Since Isopropyl Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, you can keep the bottle in your car so it's always with you.

Now, if I can find a way to keep ice from building up on my wipers when driving through snow . . .

DeeDee:

--- Quote from: Pookie on January 04, 2018, 12:43:55 PM ---
Since Isopropyl Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, you can keep the bottle in your car so it's always with you.

--- End quote ---

Just make sure it doesn't get warm before you spray it, and be aware that using it very much will risk drying out the rubber on the wipers. Since I use Bosch wipers, I'm not risking any of that stuff on them.

--- Quote from: Pookie on January 04, 2018, 12:43:55 PM ---

Now, if I can find a way to keep ice from building up on my wipers when driving through snow . . .

--- End quote ---

Luckily, that won't be happening to me, but waxing your windshield is supposed to help make it slip off easier. Doing that might make your wipers let it slide off easier too.

Lola:
Ice on your windshield.... weird.   Silly7

Lola:
ACTUALLY, I have had to scrape ice off my windshield... just not within the last few years. 

Pookie:
I have the Bosch wipers, too, and park in a garage, but I thought it would be a good tip for those who don't have a garage (or don't park in it).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version