Author Topic: Tip to remove ice/frost from windshields  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Tip to remove ice/frost from windshields
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
I just found this neat tip and wanted to share it, since most of us are in a Deep Freeze (and have been for a while).

https://www.mom4real.com/2-ingredient-homemade-car-de-icer-spray-removes-ice-in-seconds/

You will need a spray bottle filled about 1/3 of the way with water. Now, you’ll fill the rest of the bottle with Isopropyl Alcohol. Shake it up!  Spray liberally with your de-icing mixture.  Watch for a second as the ice starts to instantly melt away.  Turn your windshield wipers on so they cycle back and forth a few times.  Get in your car and get on with your day…ice free of course!

Since Isopropyl Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, you can keep the bottle in your car so it's always with you.

Now, if I can find a way to keep ice from building up on my wipers when driving through snow . . .
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Tip to remove ice/frost from windshields
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »

Since Isopropyl Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, you can keep the bottle in your car so it's always with you.

Just make sure it doesn't get warm before you spray it, and be aware that using it very much will risk drying out the rubber on the wipers. Since I use Bosch wipers, I'm not risking any of that stuff on them.

Now, if I can find a way to keep ice from building up on my wipers when driving through snow . . .

Luckily, that won't be happening to me, but waxing your windshield is supposed to help make it slip off easier. Doing that might make your wipers let it slide off easier too.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
Ice on your windshield.... weird.   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »
ACTUALLY, I have had to scrape ice off my windshield... just not within the last few years. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:36 PM »
I have the Bosch wipers, too, and park in a garage, but I thought it would be a good tip for those who don't have a garage (or don't park in it).

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »
I have the Bosch wipers, too

So you know how expensive the darned things are. On another note though, the last pair I had on my Mitsu lasted for 10 years before they needed replacing. Right before I traded the darned thing. LOL
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 10:15:53 PM »
So you know how expensive the darned things are. On another note though, the last pair I had on my Mitsu lasted for 10 years before they needed replacing. Right before I traded the darned thing. LOL

Yeah, I just replaced them a few weeks ago.  They only seem to last 2 years for me before I notice a sort of greasy look as they wipe away rain.  Always on the driver's side.   :-\  I didn't know they were considered really good wipers, they're just the ones my mechanic put on 2 years ago (the last time they started smearing).

BTW, that alcohol/water spray would at least be a good option for side windows.  I had to park outside when at Mom's for Christmas, and we had ice and snow.  It was like concrete on the windows.  Ugh.  Wish I'd known this trick then.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 01:37:46 AM »
Yeah, I just replaced them a few weeks ago.  They only seem to last 2 years for me before I notice a sort of greasy look as they wipe away rain.  Always on the driver's side.   :-\  I didn't know they were considered really good wipers, they're just the ones my mechanic put on 2 years ago (the last time they started smearing).

At least once a year I put some Dawn on a paper towel and pinch the blade between my fingers and clean the blade itself.

Next time you have to have them changed, make sure they're putting on the Bosch Envisions--not any of the other names. The pair that's on mom's car has been on there for 4 years now. Daddy was always amazed when it rained at how much better they worked than what they had on it before.

I had to turn around and go back to town the first time it rained in my new car. I couldn't handle not having them on it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »
Oops, turns out I don't have those wipers (don't know why I thought I did).  I have Trico blades.  When I first had to have the blades replaced, the new ones didn't match the curve of the windshield glass, so I had to have the mechanic change them again.  The Trico ones fit very well, so I kept the packaging and this time, when I noticed the greasy quality on the windshield, just went to the auto parts store, bought the same ones and they installed them for me.

It won't shock me, though, if these have to be replaced in 2 years, too.  If Bosch makes blades that fit my car, hopefully I'll remember this thread and check 'em out.  Thanks, Dee!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
We buy cheapo wipers.  Replace them every year.... due to dry rot.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Hey Brandon. . .Re: Tip to remove ice/frost from windshields
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »
At Autozone, by the time I pay sales tax, Bosch Envisions are a bit over $60, but IMO, they're worth every cent of it. I went through a stage where nothing was working right or for even a year b/c hubs was buying the cheapest he could find.

The day I had to pull over and wait was the day I came home and got online to Google "Best Wipers Reviews." Found out about Bosch wipers and went to buy them myself before he could do another of his replacements.

I'm not really sure about how they are in conditions where it's too hot outside in the middle of winter to defrost meat safely though. Maybe Brandon knows?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
I have my wiper blades replaced twice a year, when I do the tire changeover. :)

Tags: