Author Topic: I just killed my food processor.  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
I just killed my food processor.
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »
More accurately, beef cheek killed it.  I knew that stuff would be hard on it, but I had no idea it would destroy it.   >:(  I cut it into small pieces, put only a few chunks in, and turned it on.  The little latch that holds the top on broke, and the mixing bowl itself cracked completely down the side in two places. 

Now I have to get a new one, or a grinder of some kind, and will have to either give everyone canned tonight, or open the only package of ground meat I have, which is a lb. of elk that cost ten freaking dollars, AND get more ground something for tomorrow.  Right now, I am leaning toward canned, as I am too angry and frustrated to try to cobble together food with no processor and a delayed order of Alnutrin. 

%@#*$(@!!!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:21:45 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: I just killed my food processor.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »
 >:( :( >:(  Silly machines.

With a lot of the dryer, denser meats, you have to add some water into it to get it to process. Honestly, I use my Ninja Pro that I got at Big Lots as a refurb. Haven't had any problems out of it, but I DO add water to a lot of things when I'm making them.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »
Darn!  I would probably feed canned tonight, or can you feed chunks?  Investing in a good grinder may be the way to go if you are going to grind/chop a lot.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »
Darn!  I would probably feed canned tonight, or can you feed chunks?  Investing in a good grinder may be the way to go if you are going to grind/chop a lot.

I would love to do that, but whatever I get is going to be basically a gift from J, and it needs to be inexpensive. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
Fed canned.  This whole thing, particularly looking at replacement processors/grinders, gave me an upset stomach.  I still feel queasy.

We ordered this grinder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9Z08O8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I would love to have a Tasin, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.  I think this will work for what I do right now.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:24 PM »
Nothing to add, just sending good vibes . . . GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 04:46:53 AM »
Let us know how you like it!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 05:07:10 AM »
SO sorry about your food processor!!!   :(

The grinder you ordered looks good enough to do the job.  Has good reviews!  The only thing I would keep in mind... like all grinders (as far as I know), don't run it for too long at one time. 
I only bought the Tasin, because I had no idea what to buy.  I also had planned to grind some bones... but don't. 

This is a picture of my first grinder.  :) 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
SO sorry about your food processor!!!   :(

The grinder you ordered looks good enough to do the job.  Has good reviews!  The only thing I would keep in mind... like all grinders (as far as I know), don't run it for too long at one time. 
I only bought the Tasin, because I had no idea what to buy.  I also had planned to grind some bones... but don't. 

This is a picture of my first grinder.  :)

I read a lot of the reviews and answered questions before deciding.  I was looking at some of the ones they had for about $25 or $30, and getting really stressed out, because they all looked pretty flimsy, and then J said, well, whatever you do, don't get the cheapest one, because we'll just have to replace it.  Some of those little ones look like they were designed to make a few ounces of wonton filling, and then put up to rest for a month. 

I considered getting a hand grinder, but really did not want something that had to be clamped to the counter.  I don't really anticipate grinding bones.  When I start feeding bones, I want the dogs and cats to do the grinding!   ;D

I'll post when I try it out.  It is supposed to get here tomorrow.  I'm pretty excited.  I will probably use it to grind meat for us, too - our own ground beef, either fine for burgers or coarse for chili, and may even try making my own sausage. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
One interesting development as a result of this is that I gave Lily and Bandit some of the beef cheek that the poor, deceased food processor really didn't grind up, and they seemed to like it.  This is the first food they have actually had to chew. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »
I think that is AWESOME that your dogs chew!  One less thing to stress over.  ;) 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
PS
I am in awe that you fix (grind and/or mix) daily meals for so many. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
One interesting development as a result of this is that I gave Lily and Bandit some of the beef cheek that the poor, deceased food processor really didn't grind up, and they seemed to like it.  This is the first food they have actually had to chew. 

thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
PS
I am in awe that you fix (grind and/or mix) daily meals for so many.

I don't do it every day, thank Heaven.  I try to mix at least 5-6 lbs. meat with the Alnutrin at a time, and would like to increase that amount to at least a week's worth.  No choice.  I seriously cannot afford RadCat or really high-quality (ha) canned food on anything like an ongoing basis.   

As for chewing, I am going to have to kind of watch Lily.  I think she may have "gulper" tendencies.  Of course, I have to watch her, anyway, because of her habit of hiding her treasures.  Last night, I thought she ate all of her food, but when I went to bed, I found myself lying on something wet.  It was a chunk of beef cheek that she hid under the covers.  -_-
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:17:55 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
Last night, I thought she ate all of her food, but when I went to bed, I found myself lying on something wet.  It was a chunk of beef cheek that she hid under the covers.  -_-

:o :-X yuk
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: