Author Topic: Where does your cat rank on this chart?  (Read 981 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Where does your cat rank on this chart?
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
I've seen a lot of weight charts on dogs, but this one is about cats:

This Pet Health Bombshell Should Horrify You, yet Almost Everyone Ignores It

Story at-a-glance

According to pet insurer Nationwide, over 1.3 million policy holders filed claims for obesity-related diseases in pets in 2016

The pet obesity epidemic continues unabated, as does the number of overweight pets acquiring painful, debilitating diseases as a result

Some pet owners don’t realize their cat is overweight because fat pets have become the new normal, and many vets don’t address excess pounds during veterinary visits

To successfully take weight off your cat and keep it off, species-appropriate nutrition and exercise are essential

Another essential ingredient is how much you feed your cat; the key is to meet all her nutritional requirements with a species-appropriate diet while simultaneously reducing the amount she is fed

Read more at: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2018/01/16/pets-obesity-related-diseases.aspx

Find the chart at: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/597c71d3e58c621d06830e3f/t/599c60f9d482e954f47bd51a/1503420669120/WSAVA+BCS+chart+Cats.pdf
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Where does your cat rank on this chart?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:49:24 PM »
Which reminds me . . . there's a show on Animal Planet (I think), sort of like an "Extreme Makeover" for pets.  I've only caught pieces of it when at Mom's (I don't get all those cable channels), but I've seen enough to know the guy who's "helping" these homeowners' pets to lose weight doesn't have a CLUE what pets should be eating.  He's all about "feed less, exercise more."  Well, sure, exercise is fine, but tell them to stop feeding the kibble!!  Because that's what they're getting:  high-carb (coverted to sugar/fat), low protein junk masquerading as food.  Drives me nuts.   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead

I actually will yell at the TV "stop feeding kibble!"  Maybe that's why Mom doesn't have that on when I'm there.   funny2
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Where does your cat rank on this chart?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »
It's My Big Fat Pet Makeover with Travis Brorsen, and I hate that show too. I don't know why, but he just irks me.

Yes, a lot of those pets are too sedentary for my liking, and if the people fed the pets as much raw as they feed kibble amounts, those pets would STILL be fat. Still. I just can't make myself like the guy.

https://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/my-big-fat-pet-makeover/

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: