Author Topic: Lynette's Ackman's Blog  (Read 6297 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Lynette's Ackman's Blog
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:28:16 PM »
Just found this post on her blog today.  The post is 3 years old, but the info is still accurate.

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=712.msg4116#new

Link to her blog: http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:00:21 PM by Lola, Reason: Added link »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Lynette's Ackman's Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
Just couldn't bring myself to only post snips...

My name is Lynette Ackman. I wasn’t always a crazy cat lady. In fact, there was a time when I didn’t have any cats. I got my first cat in college, when a fellow student asked me to watch his for the summer. Then, he never took her back. Years later, when I was about to have my first apartment to myself (no roommates), I got a second cat.

In 2001, I thought I should take advantage of my new building’s lack of limits to adopt a third cat. My friend told me “Lynette, if you get a third cat, you might as well announce to the world that you plan on never marrying again.” I thought about it, and adopted the third cat.

In 2002, I lost two of my three cats. I went to adopt a cat to keep me and my single cat company, and for the first time in my life, I started to realize just how *many* cats lacked homes. It was heart-wrenching to choose only one, but I did. A month later, when I saw one of the “runner-ups” was still at the shelter and had been upgraded to “urgent”, I took home a third. A few months later, a friend asked me if I could find a shelter to take a feral cat in her area if she caught it. He became my fourth cat. It snowballed from there. I started volunteering at a local shelter, initially socializing cats (grooming, working with shy cats, etc.) then later in the clinic medicating cats and preforming other treatments. I eventually went on to serve on their board of directors for three years, and started fostering cats for them and other rescue organizations.

I went from crazy cat lady to FANATICAL crazy cat lady around 2004, when my eyes were opened on the injustice I’d been doing my cats by feeding them dry food. That food was causing the obesity, the diabetes, the kidney disease…. I changed to canned food, and by 2005 I was making much of my own cat food based on the recipes at catnutrition.org and catinfo.org. In 2006, I co-founded “Feline Outreach, Inc.” with two other cat lovers, to provide caregivers with educational and financial assistance.

I consider myself blessed to share my home with these precious animals. They fascinate me in every way – their nutritional needs, their medical needs, their behavior…

I’m author of a column published every other week in the Greeley Citizen (Greeley, Nebraska) – “Chi-Town Chronicles”, tales of a vegetarian-eating cat-loving small-town girl turned big city big-mouth.

http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/about/

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »
Kitty hugs  cat4 and dog kisses  :-* being sent to Lynette!!

snip...

Halloween is a time of tricks, treats, costumes, candy, and horror slasher movies.  So, it seems the perfect day for my surgery.

One “trick”, in my case, is that the surgery has nothing to do with my symptoms. I’ve been complaining for a year now of nausea. The nausea hasn’t gone away, but it’s been joined by acid reflux, abdominal pain, and chest pain. The doctors ran tests and still have no idea why I have most of these symptoms, but they did discover a tumor on my appendix.

I got my first tattoo in February, the formula for the probability of survival.  This is the perfect tattoo for a math geek, in my opinion.  It’s like having “hope” in math speak.  Ironically, I got it right over where there’s now a tumor. Nice “trick”.

I’m not sure what my “treat” is.  It’s unlikely any of my symptoms will improve post-surgery, except possibly the abdominal pain on the lower right side.  I think I deserve a treat, and I have a few in mind.  I could wake up post-op to discover that my appendix weighed 40 pounds and I can wear all my clothes that don’t fit.

A friend said all surgeons are arrogant.  I want my surgeon to be arrogant – or at least extremely self-confident.  I don’t want a surgeon that says “I might be able to do this… or I might muck it up entirely and kill you…”  My surgeon seems very sure of himself, though, he is mean.  He refuses to perform a tummy tuck as long as he’s cutting me up.

Her entire blog post can be read here:

http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/slasher-flick/#more-1573
She's intelligent and has a great sense of humor!  thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:02:11 PM »
If you don't subscribe to her blog, you may want to consider it.  She is not "just" a cat lady.  She talks about other subjects as well.

Her most recent post:  http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/the-big-screen/#more-1609

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Lynette is back!   clapping1

Snip...
But I’m feeling much better.  It’s almost funny. After all those tests and even surgery – the doctors seemed no closer to figuring out why I was sick. Then in January, I started having ear aches.  I went to my doctor, and she prescribed some ear drops for an apparent ear infection. She said only one ear canal was inflamed – but I could use the drops in both ears. Well, only a couple days after starting the drops, my nausea was 90% better.  The doctor was sure it was just a coincidence.  A week or so after I finished the drops, the nausea started to return. I couldn’t find any over-the-counter ear drops that seemed to do anything other than remove wax – of which I had none. So, I bought some Zymox ear drops (enzymes and steroids) I’d used on cats with great success. I used those daily – then gradually decreased frequency. In general, I’m vastly improved.

http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/dear-blog/#more-1672

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
I guess none of her doctors considered that her sense of balance (which is controlled [for lack of a better word] via the inner ear) might be making her nauseaous . . .   :-\

On the bright side, though, at least they found the tumor.   thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
Yay!!!  glad she is feeling better, I really like Lynette :)
a long time ago she came over to "catsfur" at one point to help me out in the forums,
but I think she got fed up with the antics there too.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »
I love her sense of humor...whatever the subject matter is. 

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:21:20 PM »
BIG fan of Lynette's  love1

Don't know how I missed this  Doh1 thanks for update!! :-*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »
Lynette is now exercising... OMG is she ever funnnnny!

Her trainer is leaving her:
My personal trainer is breaking up with me.  The sadness I feel can only be compared to the disappointment when that guy you’ve been really excited about starts the conversation with “I don’t think I feel the same way about you….” This is a sorrow that can only be handled one way… with chocolate and whining.  Thus, I sit here drinking hot cocoa and blogging.

You HAVE to read the full post:
http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2013/02/25/breaking-up-is-hard-to-do/

When you are done reading the above post...
Lynette's trip to her chiropractor:
Often, when Dr. Jen “fixes” me, there is a really loud cracking sound and I worry she’s just cracked all of my vertebrae and I’ll be paralyzed from the neck down – or my head will just loll off on to my shoulder as my neck no longer works. This adjustment – it seemed like nothing, honestly. I bent my arm, she took hold, she gave a little tug – hardly any sound at all.

Then it hit me. OH, SWEET MOTHER OF BOB… THE PAIN!!!! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/fix-me-up-and-put-me-back-in-the-game/

And...
I decided we do quest hoaring (or as less crude people on Fitocracy put it – quest hoeing) Wednesday night.  Ron had discovered he was NOT leaving February 28, but on March 15. So, since this wasn’t our last session, there was a lot less anxiety on my end about finding out all the secrets to managing without him RIGHT NOW.

http://meowmeowmom.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/quest-hoar/

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »

Tags: