Author Topic: Amazon's Kindle  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Amazon's Kindle
« on: November 02, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
This subject has been touched upon a few times somewhere else in the forum, but...

I don't see any significant price difference (maybe a buck), from actual books or books bought via the Kindle.  I'm thinking that would be kind of a draw back, if a person is prone to buying books and then passing them around to others.   :-\

For those that have one (KatieAndMe), what do you find positive and/or negative about having one?

I do like the idea of instance access to a book.   ;D

I've used the original Kindle.  Anyone have the other one or pre-ordered the newest version?
http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store-ebooks-newspapers-blogs/b/ref=topnav_storetab_kinh?ie=UTF8&node=133141011
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Amazon's Kindle
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:15:37 PM »
I have a kindle, it was a re-gift, but can't figure out how to load books on it since I don't have wireless.  Supposedly you can just hook the kindle to the computer with the usb cable and take the downloaded book and put it on the kindle, but it has not worked for me, and I gave up trying a while back.  I guess I should charge it up and try again.  There are a lot o FREE books I want to put on my kindle to read, old classics, that the print is too small when I get them from the library.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
I have a kindle, it was a re-gift, but can't figure out how to load books on it since I don't have wireless.  Supposedly you can just hook the kindle to the computer with the usb cable and take the downloaded book and put it on the kindle, but it has not worked for me, and I gave up trying a while back.  I guess I should charge it up and try again.  There are a lot o FREE books I want to put on my kindle to read, old classics, that the print is too small when I get them from the library.

You should be able to pick up a connection via any hot spot. 
I help an elderly friend with her Kindle.  I've never had to hook it up to her computer.  I order books online, and they are sent directly to her Kindle... within seconds. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:14:09 AM »
You should be able to pick up a connection via any hot spot. 
I help an elderly friend with her Kindle.  I've never had to hook it up to her computer.  I order books online, and they are sent directly to her Kindle... within seconds. 

She must have wireless then?  I don't and it's not the the budget at the moment.  When it comes to computer stuff, my brain seems to fog over when I try to make anything work or follow step by step instructions.  I don't know why that is.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:21:24 AM »
She must have wireless then?  I don't and it's not the the budget at the moment.  When it comes to computer stuff, my brain seems to fog over when I try to make anything work or follow step by step instructions.  I don't know why that is.

No, the woman doesn't have a wireless connection.  She has a computer from the 90's (lol) that connects via dial-up. But I don't have to use her computer to download books to her Kindle.  I use her computer only to buy books for her kindle.  Once purchased, the books magically show up on her Kindle. 
It IS possible to buy books directly from the Kindle...but for some reason, the woman doesn't want to do it that way. 
Anyway...her Kindle automatically connects to a wireless connection in the area. 
Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication or Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS); does not connect to WPA and WPA2 secured networks using 802.1X authentication methods; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
What is odd (to me) is her Kindle connects, but my laptop doesn't pick up any networks (in the area) when I'm at her home.  I'm sure there is a simple explanation, but I haven't cared enough to explore the reason. 

Tags: