Author Topic: Tiki Cat  (Read 17985 times)

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Tiki Cat
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
Although I do not personally feed Tiki Cat, I would like to give a shout out to them thumbsup1

I contacted them to ask what the carb amount was for their food.  In their reply, they recommended that I read the book Your Cat: Simple Secrets to a Longer Stronger Life by Elizabeth Hodgekins, DVM!!!  That has to be a first that a pet food company recommends a book like that :)

BTW, they were unable to provide the carb content as of yet, though it will be available next quarter.  It sounds like they are in the process of adding new flavors, as well as testing the carb content of all their foods.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Tiki Cat
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
That's incredible!!  I'd definitely want to do business with this company, wow!  So went & checked out their foods and the chicken one looks especially good!

I was really amazed when I was debating (on another forum) that Carbs weren't listed on the "good" foods when looked them up.  Could have sworn carb content listed was pretty standard in the past... interesting. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »
Although I do not personally feed Tiki Cat, I would like to give a shout out to them thumbsup1

I contacted them to ask what the carb amount was for their food.  In their reply, they recommended that I read the book Your Cat: Simple Secrets to a Longer Stronger Life by Elizabeth Hodgekins, DVM!!!  That has to be a first that a pet food company recommends a book like that :)

BTW, they were unable to provide the carb content as of yet, though it will be available next quarter.  It sounds like they are in the process of adding new flavors, as well as testing the carb content of all their foods.

thumbsup1 thumbsup1 to   Tiki Cat 
I've heard good things about the food.  I've never checked into much, due to it only being available in smaller cans.

As far as Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins, several cat owners I know got her book for a Christmas gift last year.   :) 
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simple-Secrets-Stronger/dp/0312358016
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:48:33 AM »
Wow that is something :O....geesh why cant I get it her in Canada?? Grr!!!!! :(
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:53:55 PM »
I don't know why, but stores around me that carry Tiki Cat only carry the fish flavors  :'(

Also, I wish it were available in bigger cans...

cat3

Offline Kittymom4

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »
My cats all love the Tiki Cat -my aunt also feeds her dog some of the Tiki Dog.  I wish it came in larger sizes too as it would be more cost effective.  Compare Amazon to your local store as they do sell it and some of it will ship Prime if I remember correctly.  I buy the Weruva on Amazon though once in awhile one of my local stores sells it slightly lower per can than the Amazon case price breaks down to be.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:25 PM »
My cats all love the Tiki Cat -my aunt also feeds her dog some of the Tiki Dog.  I wish it came in larger sizes too as it would be more cost effective.  Compare Amazon to your local store as they do sell it and some of it will ship Prime if I remember correctly.  I buy the Weruva on Amazon though once in awhile one of my local stores sells it slightly lower per can than the Amazon case price breaks down to be.

I have purchased pet food (canned) from Amazon.  More often than not, the prices were very reasonable and I got free shipping (for spending over $25.00)...and no tax.  The ONE thing I do worry about is... now that the weather is warmer, the food reaching extreme temps while in transit.   Although I have no idea where the food is stored before being shipped.  

Thanks for all the recommendations for Tiki cat.  The feline meals are usually one large (13 oz-ish) can and one smaller (5 oz) cans, so I will definitely be giving it a try.  I don't know why more companies don't have the larger cans available...doesn't the average household have more than one feline?

Here's the ingredients and info for the chicken:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:35:51 PM by Lola, Reason: added ingredients pic »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:09:28 AM »
"I don't know why more companies don't have the larger cans available..."

They make more money selling the smaller cans -- people have to buy more, and the smaller cans are more expensive to begin with.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 11:16:36 PM »
Tiki cat now has 6 ounce cans. bananamiddlechild 

The website lists the Tiki Cat chicken as Zero Carbs!

When I started looking it up, the first place I checked was Amazon and was so shocked at the price, it cost more than the Rad Cat Frozen raw, ounce for ounce.

As some of you know, I have started some raw feeding, but I am still looking for canned foods to add to the rotation, especially as I use up the ones that have carrageenan, as I will not be re-purchasing those brands.

After spending some time checking a lot of websites I found the lowest price I could, and with a half off shipping promotion, purchased two (8 6 ounce cans per case) cases of the Tiki cat chicken.  I cluding the cost of shipping, I paid 40 cents an ounce.

I hope they like it. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
They sure don't have many non-fish choices!   :(  On the plus side, no carrageenan in the chicken flavor.  I may give it a try.  

They have Tiki dog food also...didn't know that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:13:47 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:51:14 AM »
Yes, and they haven't had the chicken for very long I don't think. I only just found out about the chicken. I always thought they had only fishy foods.

I think it's an outrageous price to pay for a canned food, but it will be one more food I can put into the rotation that doesn't have carrageenan OR menadione OR a high carb count. It's that high carb that's frustrating me.  Weruva and Soulistic, while no carrageenan or menadione, are 22% or more, carbohydrate. :(

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »
They have Tiki dog food also...didn't know that.

I think it's an outrageous price to pay for a canned food,

I'd never heard of Tiki before so I looked it up out of curiosity, and by my calculations, my dogs would need a case of the larger cans every 4 days if that was to be full-time food. 

With all the ingredients they're not used to, I can easily see an occasional treat of it upsetting some tummies; but, that's way too expensive for me for full-time feeding. Mine are just going to have to have to stick with raw food and like it. I love them, but SHEESH!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »
Yes, and they haven't had the chicken for very long I don't think. I only just found out about the chicken. I always thought they had only fishy foods.

I think it's an outrageous price to pay for a canned food, but it will be one more food I can put into the rotation that doesn't have carrageenan OR menadione OR a high carb count. It's that high carb that's frustrating me.  Weruva and Soulistic, while no carrageenan or menadione, are 22% or more, carbohydrate. :(

No carrageen, menadione and low carbs...I'm getting more convinced to try the chicken.  Well...not me, the pets.   Bumpurr1
Didn't realize Weruva was so high in carbs.  How the heck did I miss THAT.  bangshead  I've been feeding a lot less of it lately, but will cut down even more now. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
I'd never heard of Tiki before so I looked it up out of curiosity, and by my calculations, my dogs would need a case of the larger cans every 4 days if that was to be full-time food. 

With all the ingredients they're not used to, I can easily see an occasional treat of it upsetting some tummies; but, that's way too expensive for me for full-time feeding. Mine are just going to have to have to stick with raw food and like it. I love them, but SHEESH!

All wet for 6 cats and 2 dogs... well, I pretty much work for pet food.   Bumpurr1
I often tell people...feed them wet NOW, while you only have one.  Otherwise the cost is SHOCKING, when making the transition. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
All wet for 6 cats and 2 dogs... well, I pretty much work for pet food.   Bumpurr1
I often tell people...feed them wet NOW, while you only have one.  Otherwise the cost is SHOCKING, when making the transition. 

funny2 funny2

No carrageen, menadione and low carbs...I'm getting more convinced to try the chicken.  Well...not me, the pets.   Bumpurr1
Didn't realize Weruva was so high in carbs.  How the heck did I miss THAT.  bangshead  I've been feeding a lot less of it lately, but will cut down even more now. 

I didn't know either, until Dr Pierson's list came out. My Tiki chicken should be here tomorrow.  I got such a good price on the shipping I wish I ordered more than the 16 cans.  Oh well, there is always another deal.