Author Topic: What Do You Expect, From Your Holiday Long Term Guests?  (Read 2192 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
What Do You Expect, From Your Holiday Long Term Guests?
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
If you have holiday guests coming in, that will be staying for more than a few days, what do you expect from them, if anything?  Or would you prefer, they stay in a hotel?  :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1

Was reading Dear Abby today, a man said that his brother and his children stayed for like a week. Said that altho, the relatives made their own meals, they left the dishes in the sink, for the man's wife to clean up. Also said they left their laundry, for the "maid", left lights on in rooms not being used, etc.

Doesn't sound like they were slobs, just that they expected, the wife, to clean up after them, which the man said took several hours, after they left.

Just wondering, what you would expect, from holiday guests, family or not.

I was brought up, that guests are just that, guests. You make them feel comfortable, and at home, and attend to what they need or want, within reason. I do not expect guests to make their own meals or do the dishes, but they may want to do their own laundry, as they may have special requirements, for their clothes, I don't want to wreck someone else's clothes.  The only thing I would ask, is to respect some simple household rules, the biggest one is, don't let the cats out, no drinking to the point of your drunk, and no loud parties, that if I have to work, keep the noise down, at like by 11pm.

I was however taught, when you go to someone's house, you respect their household rules, and offer to help, even if you know, they are going to say no, at least offer. 

I do know, I would never go, to Lola's house, if Dallas was playing on TV, m-o-l, m-o-l, m-o-l, as she would not let Bump watch his team, during dinner, Bump would go to a hotel, M_O_L !  >:( :D :P :-*

TexasFlag bumpgif Christmas9 christmas1 christmas3 christmas2 Christmas10 christmasreindeer Christmas11 Christmas12 Christmas14 christmas8 Christmas13 christmas6     

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: What Do You Expect, From Your Holiday Long Term Guests?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »
 bumpgif  up   :-*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
The two current red kitties, at my house, are enough!  A red kitty AND a Dallas fan...not going to happen.

a man said that his brother and his children stayed for like a week. Said that altho, the relatives made their own meals, they left the dishes in the sink, for the man's wife to clean up. Also said they left their laundry, for the "maid", left lights on in rooms not being used, etc.

In the above instance...if they were comfortable enough to make their own meals, they should have cleaned up as well.  
I can't imagine ANY guest assuming their clothes would be washed by someone else.  Unless, there REALLY was a maid...maybe.
Lights left on...I don't get too worked about that sort of thing. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:53:10 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:52:42 AM »
The two current red kitties, at my house, are enough!  A red kitty AND a Dallas fan...not going to happen.

In the above instance...if they were comfortable enough to make their own meals, they should have cleaned up as well. 
I can't imagine ANY guest assuming their clothes would be washed by someone else.  Unless, there REALLY was a maid...maybe.
Lights left on...I don't get too worked about that sort of thing. 

Agree with this. If you make a mess in the kitchen, you clean it up.  In other words, leave the kitchen the way you found it.  If I make your meal, I don't expect you to clean it up, and even if you offer I will decline, because I clean up as I go.

Do your own clothes laundry, but don't over load or break my washer. I will wash your towels and provide clean ones. Your bed will start with fresh clean sheets. If you need new clean sheets and pillowcases during the stay, I will give them to you, and will wash the used ones, but will not strip, nor make up your bed.  :)

Pick up after yourself.  Do not leave dirty dishes, dirty clothes, messes, lying around.  Especially in the bathroom.  Don't leave spit in the sink or globs of toothpaste.  If you pee on the floor, clean it up. If you get poop on the toilet seat, clean it up. If you shed in the shower, clean the hair out of the drain.Have some self respect and some respect for me.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 08:28:42 AM »
Oh yes, and the most important thing.  Never leave the outside door open, even for a second, and don't let the cats out.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »
Treat my home as you would want your home treated in return.
Treat me as a hostess as you would want to be treated in return.

I will show my guests all the amenities of my home for them to take advantage of.
I love to treat my guests well, and I hope my guests appreciate it.
Appreciation can be shown by common courtesy and respect.

I am not a maid.
If you want maid service, go to a hotel.

Now, as a guest, I am cautious about dishes.
Only because I know how picky I am about them myself.
I will rinse my dishes at the very least, and ask whether to put them in the washer, or stack them on the counter.
I will make my own bed, as I found it when I arrived.
I will hang my wet towels, unless instructed otherwise.
I will not leave my laundry on the floor... I don't even do that at home.
I will offer to cook dinner for my host, or take them out to a nice meal.
If I cook, I will clean; if we go out, I will pay.
I may ask to take advantage of the wi-fi, and I may stay up late with a light on ('cause I'm a night owl).
If I go out and come back late at night, I will do my best not to disturb your sleep ('cause you're prolly not a night owl).

christmas1 christmas4 christmasrudolph  christmas2

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
Guests should leave large expensive gifts or cash...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:17:39 PM »
Only, if ya let them, watch Dallas on TV, during dinner, m-o-l!  :P :-*

If ya want an extra special expensive gifty, then ya best schedule din din, after the game is over.   :P :-* thumbsup1 TexasFlag bumpgif Christmas10 Christmas11 christmas8 Christmas13

edited to add, here is the original letter, dated 12/15.  :)

http://www.lfpress.com/life/columnists/amy_dickinson/2011/12/15/19125891.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:20:25 PM by Bumpurr »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 06:17:02 PM »
Guests should leave large expensive gifts or cash...

funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2

Tags: